Contribute
Register

Radeon RX 560 on 10.13.4 macOS High Sierra

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would say it's for sure becuase you are using older hardware. You need to either update your hardware or change your GPU, I can't see how you can possibly get it to work with your hardware.

I would say it's for sure becuase you are using older hardware. You need to either update your hardware or change your GPU, I can't see how you can possibly get it to work with your hardware.
Well you were correct. I used another system I built a couple years ago with an Asus Gryphon z87 and an i3-4620 and the MSI Radeon RX 560 worked without any kexts or patches. Created a new Unibeast with UEFI and it worked like a champ. Now I just need to figure out the audio. Thanks.

So I just installed this card, switched from EVGA NVIDIA 950 2M. I removed all the NVIDIA config entries, Web-driver, and swapped the card. Rebooted right up and no problem, then I decided, probably don't need to do the fix for black screen (thought that was a NVIDIA card thing) and went through the process to return the Reference to "Config2" back from "None" under my board id (see linked post for full description), I am on a iMac 17,1 profile 10.13.5 so when I booted after returning setting to normal, I expected a supported card to just work, unfortunately it shut the card off 3/4 of the way through the progress bar. I managed to get the system to boot in without shutting down (graph and returned the "fix" for black-screen with terminal / nano. Restarted and at the same point it makes a slight flicker in monitor and a interesting sound, but boots up and seems to work nicely. (Note: this "fix" doesn't survive updates so it has to be reapplied each update)

My questions are:

1) Should I be using extensions (I believe the answer is no)

2) Should I be using config settings in clover? (I am confused about this one, seems that some do and some don't)

If one is using Whatevergreen, Lilu AND IntelGraphicsFixup, do we still need
<key>ig-platform-id</key>
<string>0x19120000</string> ?

(RX560 connected to DP, integrated intel not used but enabled in BIOS)

None that I've noticed.
The reason that I ask, I am looking at a Gigabyte RX560 4gb card (used, by a Mathematics PhD student to determine which of many cards works best for math calculations, yes it is a real thing, for $99. He has many other cards for sale, none used for mining or gaming, let me know if you are interested, I will post a link) and I wondered, with the new update to 13.5, that a Radeon card would magically work OOB without any other support. If anyone know, please post your results. I just did the update to 13.5, clean a whistle ;)

The reason that I ask, I am looking at a Gigabyte RX560 4gb card (used, by a Mathematics PhD student to determine which of many cards works best for math calculations, yes it is a real thing, for $99. He has many other cards for sale, none used for mining or gaming, let me know if you are interested, I will post a link) and I wondered, with the new update to 13.5, that a Radeon card would magically work OOB without any other support. If anyone know, please post your results. I just did the update to 13.5, clean a whistle ;)

Well, as @ashman70 says, I agree, no real difference :)

You are right though, High Sierra has got some serious support for this card, which considering Apple doesn't offer a Mac with this exact chipset is a surprise. With 10.13.4 I have no need for the Lilu & Whatevergreen kexts OR the RadeonDeInit flag. However I would qualify that by saying the card works OOB under Clover, which for all we know is doing all kinds of magic behind the scenes.

No difference between 10.13.4 and 10.13.5 though.

:thumbup:

Well, as @ashman70 says, I agree, no real difference :)

You are right though, High Sierra has got some serious support for this card, which considering Apple doesn't offer a Mac with this exact chipset is a surprise. With 10.13.4 I have no need for the Lilu & Whatevergreen kexts OR the RadeonDeInit flag. However I would qualify that by saying the card works OOB under Clover, which for all we know is doing all kinds of magic behind the scenes.

No difference between 10.13.4 and 10.13.5 though.

:thumbup:
Thank you @UtterDisbelief! But one must remove all traces of NVIDIA first?

Thank you @UtterDisbelief! But one must remove all traces of NVIDIA first?

All I did when I changed from a Nvidia GTX1050 to the RX560 was use the Nvidia Driver Uninstall option in the drivers panel. This will revert back to how the system was before you installed them. I had nothing extra in config.plist (I did not inject Nvidia at all). The only other thing the Nvidia card used was NVRAM, but the RX560 uses that too.

Good luck if you make the swap!

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back