Contribute
Register

Radeon RX 560 on 10.13.4 macOS High Sierra

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need a little help. I have a fresh 10.13.4 install on an MSI B250M Gaming Pro Motherboard, Core i3 7100, MSI Radeon RX560 4MB, 8GB Ram, Acer XR382CQK 21:9 monitor 3840x1600 @75hz hooked up via DisplayPort, 8,2 SMBIOS showing as an iMac Retina 4k, 21.5-inch 2017. Everything worked out of the box with the GPU being recognized appropriately. However I was getting the black screen after the apple logo so I used an old 4:3 DVI monitor connected to the GPU with a low resolution to finish up the install. For some reason that old monitor worked using DVI and I could get to the desktop. Once I installed Lilu and WhateverGreen, I reconnected my Acer 21:9 monitor via Display Port and it finally worked and bypassed the black screen.

The problem is it is stuck at 3840x1600 @30hz. Ive tried everything and can't seem to get the Display Pref panel to allow higher refresh rate. Oddly, during the boot up process the monitor is running at 75hz (there is an OSD that shows frame rate on the monitor). Once it gets past the Apple boot logo however, the screen goes black for a second, and then comes back to the desktop but at 30hz again. Ive tried ScreenResX and a few other tweaks but I can't get it. Any help would be appreciated. I don't have any graphics injected, Intel is off in bios, not using RadeonDeint, not using InjectATI, or anything. Just Lilu and WhateverGreen Kexts. 60hz would be enough for me but since the monitor does 75hz that would be better. I had this same hardware setup running windows and it ran flawlessly at 75hz with DisplayPort so I am confident that it is not a hardware issue.

Last edited:
@carpman that sounds a little like my frustrating experience, which I have yet to resolve. Gone back to using just the HD4000.
Please keep the thread updated if you make more progress!

Hi, ok edited post to make clear that with initial video card in bios set iGFX i can boot to RX 560 fine, but only get active screen at login screen.

Yes it is a real pain, but moving start of next month so just going to have leave as is till have more time.

i updated to 13.13.4 and i have one issue, which is going to sleep, just reverts to lock screen due to wakelock
localhost kernel[0]: (AppleACPIPlatform) Wake reason: XDCI XHC

This might not be you GPU. That error looks like it is a USB issue. Perhaps your Bluetooth adapter's USB connection needs configuring as appropriate ("255")? See here.

:)

Still stuck at 30hz. Can't fix it. Here is a screen shot of the System Report. Any help to get to 60hz or 75hz would be great.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-05-11 at 4.02.53 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-05-11 at 4.02.53 PM.png
    102.8 KB · Views: 272
okay...... head spinning... lots of new terms, kexts and concepts to get my sore head around.....
jumped from a glitched gtx660 to a sapphire 560 4gb.
card recognised and working out of the box thru hdmi.
my main monitor is a hazro that requires dual link dvi.... thing is it is actually recognised by the system and displays all the way to just past clover.. then it's recognised yet black screen.... ive tried With Lilu and WhateverGreen in Clover/kexts/Other. and have tried disabling board-id check in AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy to prevent no signal yet still a black screen......

I have a much older amd card I may try to add on alongside the rx560 or even try the gtx 660 just for the lolz and extra ports (wonder if that's even feasible?).......

the DVI port is working all the way through post, clover, to apple, at which point it goes to BLACK.... and this on any monitor (not just the picky Hazro).
ive tried reading and acting on various option in this thread to no avail.

cinebench coming in at around 23-5 fps.

ive added an older amd card alongside the 560 in the second 16x pci channel yet the computer clocks this as the main card and cinebench goes even lower..... so much to understand about the way Mac OS recognises and controls monitors.. (I would love to be able to soft control several monitors from dual cards).

I have attached my complete efi folder just in case someone is feeling detective..... im sure there are anomalies, as I have resorted to trying things I don't fully understand (there is always a backup to return to).
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/filgiqvx59tbds2/AACs8GuBQTXWeNdI9ICdZS2Ca?dl=0

so much for working out of the box......... ha

okay...... head spinning... lots of new terms, kexts and concepts to get my sore head around.....
jumped from a glitched gtx660 to a sapphire 560 4gb.
card recognised and working out of the box thru hdmi.
my main monitor is a hazro that requires dual link dvi.... thing is it is actually recognised by the system and displays all the way to just past clover.. then it's recognised yet black screen.... ive tried With Lilu and WhateverGreen in Clover/kexts/Other. and have tried disabling board-id check in AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy to prevent no signal yet still a black screen......

I have a much older amd card I may try to add on alongside the rx560 or even try the gtx 660 just for the lolz and extra ports (wonder if that's even feasible?).......

Last edited:
whoops..... it was just syncing...... should have the complete EFI folder now...
ta
very

How can i make dual gpu for amd radeon r7 m445 and intel 620 hd. kindly guide me is rx 560 solution is compatiable for r7 m445 amd radeon?

Wow..... graphic cards are complex and capricious.......
I have been in the Nvidia comfort zone for so long I had no idea.
story so far...
  • Nvidia gtx 660 has become incompatible and subject to disabling glitching (including artefacts in video render files).
  • RX 560 appeared as an excellent candidate to replace the Nvidia, and appeared in various threads,to offer even better video rendering etc.
  • Saphire 4GB RX 560 dropped into my old X58 rig quite nicely yet has only low 20's frame rate and the (essential in my case) DVI socket displays a black screen.
  • trying various configurations and fixes from this and other threads makes little difference, tho I briefly got a legacy AMD card to play alongside the 560 for a while, tho that slowed the system right down (with the slowest card taking system priority).
  • taking a leap, I prepared a fresh high Sierra install, soldered some new PCI e power leads and have successfully booted both the Nvidia GTX 660 AND the AMD RX 560, giving me a working DVI socket (Nvidia) and improved frame rates in the mid 40's, tho the combinations of card placements in this vanilla state, randomises the usefulness of the seven available sockets, so that some cause the system to repeatedly screen lock, some boot as black, and some that don't work at all is (at this stage) rather random and once again confusing.
  • I would love to have greater control over my graphics, be able to switch monitors on and off through software for instance, and I can't help but imagine having these two modern cards working TOGETHER with 6GB of video memory and the magic of CUDA and OpenCL and Direct Compute, with mysterious Streams outputting my video work in no time at all..... this machine is after all the soviet era tractor style workhorse of my set up to the slick yet limited modern engine my souped up late 2011 MacBook.
  • I shall read some more threads and when I have the time, run various combinations of kexts and frame buffers in the most scientific way I can, and report back, tho if anyone can point me in a good direction I am very much listening...

Thanks all.....

ps I've found myself posting in two complementing threads now ....
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...high-sierra-10-13.233101/page-47#post-1752750

Seems I have tried every combination of everything on all posts with High Sierra 10.13.4 and AMD Graphics. I can only get it to come up with either safe mode or without AMDRadeonX4000.kext. So no acceleration.
I have an older setup so I'm not sure if that is the issue or not.
Asus P5Q-EM Intel G45/ICH10R chipset
2.93 Ghz Core 2 Duo
4 GIG RAM
SMBIOS 14.2 or 18.3
MSI Radeon RX 560 AERO ITX 4G OC (DP, HDMI, DVI-D) - Currently connected HDMI

The screen always comes up black but it seems to still be on. I can ssh into the box to restart it but screen sharing does not work.
I have tried with and without:
  • RadeonDeInit
  • WhateverGreen.kext
  • Inject ATI
  • graphics SSDT
  • graphics Clover patches
  • Acre injection with ig-platform-id 59120003
  • Disable board-id check - AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy
  • Inject Intel
  • HDMI
  • DVI-D
The only thing I have not tried is a Displayport connection because I don't have one. I may order one to try.

Any other thoughts or ideas would be great!

Update: Switched to another system.
Asus Gryphon Z87
i3-4620
8 gig RAM
MSI Radeon RX 560 AERO ITX 4G OC (DP, HDMI, DVI-D) - Currently connected HDMI
UEFI load to High Sierra via Unibeast
SM BIOS 14.2
No added kexts, patches.
Just Intel injection. - may be able to turn that off - need to test
Working great.

Last edited:
Status