Radeon RX 560 on 10.13.4 macOS High Sierra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok removed injectati and deinit, left ig-platform id at 0x01660007

Removed lilu and WhateverGreen texts and tried:

option 4

Note i deleted dirs in:

system/library/caches/com.apple.kext.caches/

Option 4 loads to black screen, same both with and without internal graphic enabled.

Note if i boot with this setup from HD4000 dvi port then changed to RX 560 dvi port then the RX 560 works fine, it is listed in about this Mac as being graphics in use?

Just can't get it to load in to RX 560 on boot!

Ok removed injectati and deinit, left ig-platform id at 0x01660007

Removed lilu and WhateverGreen texts and tried:

option 4

Note i deleted dirs in:

system/library/caches/com.apple.kext.caches/

Option 4 loads to black screen, same both with and without internal graphic enabled.

Note if i boot with this setup from HD4000 dvi port then changed to RX 560 dvi port then the RX 560 works fine, it is listed in about this Mac as being graphics in use?

Just can't get it to load in to RX 560 on boot!

Okay, I just compared my config.plist with yours to see if there were any major differences.

Two I noted:

1) In the RtVariables section I have CsrActiveConfig set to 0x67 . This disables SIP and allows some kexts to load that otherwise wouldn't.

2) In the Graphics section I do NOT Inject ATI.

Otherwise, apart from a few differences that shouldn't affect booting, I don't see a problem (instantly). My settings might do nothing to help your problems, but worth a look?

Okay, I just compared my config.plist with yours to see if there were any major differences.

Two I noted:

1) In the RtVariables section I have CsrActiveConfig set to 0x67 . This disables SIP and allows some kexts to load that otherwise wouldn't.

2) In the Graphics section I do NOT Inject ATI.

Otherwise, apart from a few differences that shouldn't affect booting, I don't see a problem (instantly). My settings might do nothing to help your problems, but worth a look?

Thanks for reply,

i will give your suggestion a try.

Note i don't normally use inject ati, just giving it a try.

Are you using lilu and WhateverGreen kexts?

Thanks for reply,

i will give your suggestion a try.

Note i don't normally use inject ati, just giving it a try.

Are you using lilu and WhateverGreen kexts?

Yes I do.

The system runs well enough without - and with the latest macOS update is recognised correctly now - but using them means I also get HDMI audio output when needed.

To be honest I'm on the fence about whether I should keep them or not. I rarely use the HDMI output anyway and having it is just for completeness. Right now I'm working on the premise that if it ain't broken, don't mend it. I'm still using version 1.1.4 of Whatevergreen too.

Yes I do.

The system runs well enough without - and with the latest macOS update is recognised correctly now - but using them means I also get HDMI audio output when needed.

To be honest I'm on the fence about whether I should keep them or not. I rarely use the HDMI output anyway and having it is just for completeness. Right now I'm working on the premise that if it ain't broken, don't mend it. I'm still using version 1.1.4 of Whatevergreen too.

Ok, so reverted back to using lilu and WhateverGreen kexts added your suggestion and disabled the patch from option 4 from OP.

Long story short, i could not boot to RX560, but could from from HD4000, though could not swap cables to use RX560, just got black screen, even when i tried enabling the Option 4 patch.

Removed lilu and WhateverGreen kexts, booted into HD4000 and can once again swap cable to use RX560!

So OSX is recognising the RX 560, just not on boot?

Current config.plist attached

Driving me a bit nuts, life to short to spend so much time this :(

Writing this with cable attached to RX560 after booting from HD4000

Untitled.jpg

Attachments

• boothd400-swap2rx560config.plist
    5.9 KB · Views: 204
Hi there.

Well I've been through both our config.plists again to check line-by-line and see the differences.

There are many and some might do nothing to cause your problems, but you never know...

First up, under the <key>#DropOEM_DSM</key> I have nothing at all, where as you have a long list.

Second, under <key>Fixes</key> you have -

<key>FixIntelGfx</key>
<true/>

... whereas for me it is <false/>

I'm guessing that's correct for you as you use your iGPU etc. :thumbup:

Then apart from those two I don't see much in the way of Audio. For example, no sign of the <string>Rename HDAS to HDEF</string> patch. Maybe you don't use onboard audio. Just a thought and probably has no effect on graphics anyway.

In my EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other folder, these are the kexts I have:

files.jpeg

Not sure any of that helps, but worth comparing.
:)

I have replaced the older Galaxy GTX760 graphics card in my X99 build with a Sapphire Pulse RX560 4GB that I bought some time ago.

In Sierra 10.12.6, I have to add the latest versions of the Lilu (1.2.3) and WhateverGreen (1.1.7) kexts to the EFI/CLOVER/kexts/other folder or the system stops at the Apple logo. With the kexts in place the system boots to the desktop and works great. Sierra also detects and allows for the selection of DisplayPort audio as I connect the card to the monitor using DisplayPort, though I have not tested for that as I have the motherboard audio enabled and working, and I am quite satisfied with that.

High Sierra 10.13.4 boots directly with the card in place and the system works well. RadeonDeinit is not necessary, and the Lilu and WhateverGreen kexts are not needed either. Apparently the card is natively supported in 10.13.4 now. Probably like Sierra if I need DisplayPort audio then I will have to add those 2 kexts, but I have the motherboard audio enabled and working.

P.S. I am using the MacPro6,1 SMBios on the X99 build.

Last edited:
Did you get this sorted or make progress?

Well that's a story, in my efforts to get it working i ended up with an install that would not load OSX, would get a black screen with white square in top left corner, even with known working efi folder in place!

Ended up nuking efi folder doing a repair install from recover boot after booting from usb drive.

Now here is a thing, at some point between fresh install with i7 3770k and hd4000 the boot process slowed down, clover took a while to scan etc, but after the recover reinstall boot is once again fast?

Fore the recover install i removed the rx 560 and just used the hd4000, once installed finished i used multibeast to install clover and setup efi. I did not included sound as currently don't have speakers attached.

I used the newly created config.plist, the only settings edit i made was to add fixshutdown to acpi

No additional kexts added.
Question, if i have kext in efi....>kext>other are these used instead of ones multibeast installed in the Extension folders in OSX?

With system booting fine to hd4000 i installed the rx 560 and booted using hd4000, all worked good, can even change cable to rx560 dvi port and the rx560 is recognised and works.

Tried botting to rx560 with initial video set to PEG, just got reboot loop, tried adding

ig-platform-id = 0x01620007

boot now goes to black screen?

So back to square one?

Attached is the new config.plist created by multibeast with just fixheaders added.

UPDATE.

Using the attached config.plist i leave the intitial graphics set to iGFX (hd400) it will boot fine to osx using rx 560, but i don't see the boot process or clover screen, only the osx login screen?

So the card works fine, but it is having issues during boot when bios is set to PEG?

thanks

Attachments

• config hd4000 working.plist
    5.6 KB · Views: 208
Last edited:
@carpman that sounds a little like my frustrating experience, which I have yet to resolve. Gone back to using just the HD4000.
Please keep the thread updated if you make more progress!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back