Contribute
Register

Radeon RX 560 on 10.13.4 macOS High Sierra

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have haswell CPU (i5 4570) and RX580, the SMBIOS is 14,2, should I change it to 18,3?

Yes do this and make sure iGPU is enabled.

You want to get as close as possible to a real iMac to avoid instability.

I found that 14,2 works without flaws using RX560. Better than 18,3. I guess every system is not created the same? That said, I have an RX580 on the way and will see what happens.

I thought the SMBIOS is base on CPU, is it better to match on gpu?

I found that 14,2 works without flaws using RX560. Better than 18,3. I guess every system is not created the same? That said, I have an RX580 on the way and will see what happens.

Whatever works.

But for me 18,3 on another system worked great with RX560.

I enabled igpu to match a real iMac.

Some programs like Premiere use igpu. So does FCPX.

I thought the SMBIOS is base on CPU, is it better to match on gpu?
Yes, that is what I thought too. Somewhere, I cannot find the link now, one of the Admin posted that 14,2 is a good all around functional setting.

When I tried to update using the App Store download from 10.13.6 to 10.14 I ended up with black screen. I created a fresh install on a separate SSD with normal MB settings, including 18,3 SMBIOS. I had multiple problems with that. Why? I could not find any answers. I tried the 14.2 setting and all is golden, except when doing 400% enlargement images at 300ppi. System freezes if I have any other apps running. This is the reason why I am upgrading to the 580 8gb card. That is the minimum required for A.I. Gigapixel. That being said, when MultiBeast 11 is out I intend to create a new fresh install (Yes, I am a glutton for punishment) of Mojave. The one wrinkle is the System Preferences Energy Saver is not what is normal. Power Nap is not available.

Yes, that is what I thought too. Somewhere, I cannot find the link now, one of the Admin posted that 14,2 is a good all around functional setting.

When I tried to update using the App Store download from 10.13.6 to 10.14 I ended up with black screen. I created a fresh install on a separate SSD with normal MB settings, including 18,3 SMBIOS. I had multiple problems with that. Why? I could not find any answers. I tried the 14.2 setting and all is golden, except when doing 400% enlargement images at 300ppi. System freezes if I have any other apps running. This is the reason why I am upgrading to the 580 8gb card. That is the minimum required for A.I. Gigapixel. That being said, when MultiBeast 11 is out I intend to create a new fresh install (Yes, I am a glutton for punishment) of Mojave. The one wrinkle is the System Preferences Energy Saver is not what is normal. Power Nap is not available.

Haswell and older systems work well with 14.2, and its an all around good choice ( Stork). Newer Kabylake and above systems seem to do better with the 18.x definitions. I found 18.3 buggy on my Haswell as well and use 14.x.

Haswell and older systems work well with 14.2, and its an all around good choice ( Stork). Newer Kabylake and above systems seem to do better with the 18.x definitions. I found 18.3 buggy on my Haswell as well and use 14.x.
I will give 18,3 a try again but success at 14,2 is hard to argue with. I did see the post from @Stork as well which is one reason I chose 14,2.

I have a lot of problem on my Mojave, will give a try on high Sierra.

I have a lot of problem on my Mojave, will give a try on high Sierra.
Any news? 10.13.6 had a problem with color, the screen turned pink. This did not happen across all Hack users and could have been a problem with my monitor but people did report the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back