Contribute
Register

Radeon RX 560 on 10.13.4 macOS High Sierra

Status
Not open for further replies.
only the 570 and up is native so far
Not exactly it seems!

I found a super deal (for today's European prices), a Shappire RX 570 4Gb for 220 euros new on Amazon. So I returned my 560 and got this...!

The card is faster of course..but it still needs the same patch I used for the 560...or it boots to black too!!!

I'm curious how my RX 480 will work on Vanilla, and without Whatevergreen etc…

BTW, got it for 200 Euros from a regular user, not miner, who had it at home computer and as a father had no time to play games :)

Still under warranty

Not exactly it seems!

I found a super deal (for today's European prices), a Shappire RX 570 4Gb for 220 euros new on Amazon. So I returned my 560 and got this...!

The card is faster of course..but it still needs the same patch I used for the 560...or it boots to black too!!!

Interesting to know :thumbup:

I notice that the real iMac 27" line only has 'Radeon Pro 570' and not RX 570 so I guess that shows there is still a difference as with the 560.

Glad you got a bargain!

:)

the real iMac 27" line only has 'Radeon Pro 570'
The thing is that it shoul use the drivers as if it was an external eGPU, so an RX570, not a mac GPU...Some macs also have a Pro 560 for instance... but yet it needs some workarounds to boot! I don't know if I'm right or wrong but I prefer to use the less possible kexts...so i'm avoiding whathevergreen

The thing is that it shoul use the drivers as if it was an external eGPU, so an RX570, not a mac GPU...Some macs also have a Pro 560 for instance... but yet it needs some workarounds to boot! I don't know if I'm right or wrong but I prefer to use the less possible kexts...so i'm avoiding whathevergreen

Ah, okay. I admit I don't know very much about the new external GPUs. If they come with the full RX variant will they have extra cooling etc? I guess the Pro versions either run slower or have fewer processing units to keep temperatures down. It will be nice to actually see one of these things.

Yes, my RX560 runs well with no kexts or patches now, however I like to use Lilu/Whatevergreen as they add HDMI sound etc. Maybe that will change in the next update.

:)

If they come with the full RX variant will they have extra cooling etc
On a real mac you buy an external enclosure and put an RX 570 + into that, according to Apple...
my RX560 runs well with no kexts or patches now
So your RX560 boots without any kext or patches...? Are you sere? Not even one of the 4 methods in the first post?

On a real mac you buy an external enclosure and put an RX 570 + into that, according to Apple...

So your RX560 boots without any kext or patches...? Are you sere? Not even one of the 4 methods in the first post?

I've just re-checked my config and patches etc, to see if I do have anything installed to help boot...

No, there are no patches in config.plist as per the first post. RadeonDeInit *is* in there but set to '/false'. I do not inject ATI either. As I mentioned earlier I *do* use the Lilu/Whatevergreen kexts now, but I did find that without them all worked fine except there was no HDMI audio option in the Sound Preferences. But I would say all this was only possible with 10.13.4.

So I guess it does boot without any help. Not sure why, if it is considered unusual. I use a standard HD monitor and HDMI cable.

I've just re-checked my config and patches etc, to see if I do have anything installed to help boot...

No, there are no patches in config.plist as per the first post. RadeonDeInit *is* in there but set to '/false'. I do not inject ATI either. As I mentioned earlier I *do* use the Lilu/Whatevergreen kexts now, but I did find that without them all worked fine except there was no HDMI audio option in the Sound Preferences. But I would say all this was only possible with 10.13.4.

So I guess it does boot without any help. Not sure why, if it is considered unusual. I use a standard HD monitor and HDMI cable.
Ok thanks! And sorry but I probably forgot, you're using 14,2 system def right? Otherwise, if you're using 18, yes, that's unusual...

Hi, ok really struggling to get my system up and running.

Did a fresh install of latest HS, did this using the OB HD4000 graphics, though booting into install via hard drive is a no go, can sometimes get it boot from USB into hard drive though with no hardware acceleration.

System is:

Mobo: GA-Z77X-UP5-TH
CPU: i7-3770
Graphics: Gigabyte Radeon RX 560 Gaming OC 4G
Drives: Samsung 840 250gb SSD / Seagate BarraCuda Pro 4TB
Mem: 32gb

Bios, have checked and double checked all settings.

Reading through this and other threads and changed:

bios to enable onboard graphics, set PEG for first boot.
EFI>CLOVER>kexts>Other
AppleIntelE1000e.kext
FakeSMC.kext
Lilu.kext
WhateverGreen.kext

clover config.plist (main selections)
Acpi
Fixshutdown
FixHeaders
FixIntelGfx

Boot
dart=0
nv_disable=1

Devices > Fake ID
IntelGFX0x059128086

Graphics
ig-platform-id = 0x59120003
Inject Intel √
RadeonDelnit √

Kernel and Kext patches
Apple RTC √
KernelPm √
AppleIntelCPUPM √

SMBIOS
iMac14.2

With this setup i can boot to my new install, graphics card is ID as Radeon 560.

Thing is my screen stays off during boot, and do not turn on until just before log in screen appears, this is most disconcerting as I cannot access bios is required?

Is this normal?

Can i do anything to improve configuration and have boot process viewable on screen?

thanks

Attachments

• config.plist
    7.8 KB · Views: 192
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back