Contribute
Register

Radeon RX 4XX/5XX standalone system, AMDRadeonX4250.kext (GVA support H264) does not support HEVC HW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry no idea why your NVMe drive is seen as AHCI drive.
I think you need to do some research.

Also, that's off-topic here ;)

I know it's off topic and I have been doing my research

you really don't know how many hours I've spent in the last 3 weeks trying to get my 3 builds up and running so thanks but...stay humble

Edit: Just read through again in the thread, found macnb's post #1439 mentions FCPX 10.4.8 has issue with HEVC. I tried again with Compressor (4.4.4) on 10.15.4 and still no luck. Does it mean to encode HEVC with RX 580 on FCPX or Compressor, I need to go back to Mojave? Does this issue only affect RX 580, but not other cards like 5700 XT?

Thanks for this thread to give so much useful information. I still couldn't figure out how to enable HEVC support with RX 580 on 10.15.4.

Reading through pages in this thread, it looks like HEVC can be enabled as long as SMBios is iMacPro1,1 and IGPU disabled. So I switched from iMac15,1 to iMacPro1,1 and disabled IGPU in BIOS.

However, when doing HEVC encoding, dGPU (RX 580) is not fully utilized and my CPU maxed out on FCPX (10.4.8) and Compressor (4.4.6) on Catalina 10.15.4. H264 encoding works well. I know my i7-4790K Haswell lacks HEVC support and can only do H264. Suppose iMacPro1,1 should use dGPU to encode/decode HEVC and H264 because iMacPro is IGPU-less, correct?

Is there anything wrong in my config (attached)? any input is much appreciated.

My setup:
OpenCore 0.5.8, WEG 1.3.9, Lilu 1.4.4
i7-4790K 4.0GHz
Gigabyte GA-Z97X-GAMING 5
Sapphire Pulse RX 580

HEVC Encoding (CPU max out, low utilization on RX 580)
View attachment 472029

H264 Encoding (low CPU load, fully utilization on RX 580)
View attachment 472030

What you are seeing with FCPX 10.4.8 on Catalina 10.15.4 is consistent with what I am seeing.
With FCPX 10.4.6 on Mojave 10.14.6 it's much better - at least HEVC encode works on RX580.

There's nothing wrong with your config apart from the device properties you set for the IGPU. It is not necessary since you disable it in the BIOS. Even if it is enabled, WEG Kext would setup a headless IGPU for you so no need to use it.

On a real iMacPro1,1 and many of the new Macs where there's no IGPU, they do have the T2 chip (even one's with IGPU have T2 chip).
The T2 chip does MORE than just security. It also does video encode and decode.
So when a real T2 chip is not available, it falls back to using the CPU - which what we are seeing.
For those fortunate folks with i9's with 6, 8, etc cores this eCPU's are much more powerful that you will not notice the load placed on the them while encoding HEVC.

I do not have RX 5700XT so cannot comment how well it works with FCPX and Compressor as far as Decoding and Encoding is concerned. Just be aware of folks here on these forum who claim "RX 5700 XT is fully supported OOB". In general what they really mean is that the dGPU accelerates the macOS GUI and that does not mean it it will necessarily work certain Apps - even Apple's Apps. They need to prove CPU utilisation, dGPU utilisation and of course output quality.

Anyway, just to double check what you are seeing, I thought I would do a quick test with the latest Catalina 10.15.5.
Unfortunately, Catalina 10.15.5 taken another backward step for FCPX 10.4.8 & RX580. Even as iMacPro1,1.
The Export seems to do nothing but stall at 0% when taking HEVC project and exporting it as H.264.
This is really bad.
The CPU & RX580 are both idle and the system is running fine - just the export stuck at 0%:

10.15.5-hEVC-to-h264.png

That's really weird (that it cannot export to H.264).
Then, taking the same project with HEVC clip and exporting as HEVC maxes out the CPU as it is doing all the work.
RX580 is sitting idle. :

10.15.5-HEVC-in-HEVC-out.png

Taking an H.264 project and exporting as HEVC again maxes out the CPU (with RX580 doing the some Decoding):

10.15.5-h264-to-HEVC.png

Taking the H.264 4K project and exporting as H.264 FHD does use RX580 for the Decoding & Encoding while the CPU is mainly idle:
10.15.5-H264-4k-to-h264-FHD.png

Ignoring FCPX for the moment and using Compressor 4.4.6, results are the same.
Taking a 4k HEVC input and Exporting it as H.264 took no time at all and RX580 was doing most of the work:

10.15.5-Comp4.4.5-HEVC-to-H264.png

But taking an H.264 source and transcoding to HEVC, the CPU was (again) maxed out (and had to be cancelled).
At least Compressor was actually do the transcode unlike FCPX which was hung at 0%.

10.15.5-Comp-4.4.6-H264-to-HEVC.png

So with a system as iMacPro1,1 running Catalina 10.15.5 + RX580 + NO IGPU (i.e disabled):
  1. FCPX 10.4.8 HEVC project export to H.264 stalls FCPX - I had to cancel the export.
  2. FCPX 10.4.8 HEVC project export to HEVC, Encode on RX580 not supported - CPU used to max.
  3. FCPX 10.4.8 H.264 project export to H.264, Decode & Encode on RX580 supported - no CPU usage.
  4. FCPX 10.4.8 H.264 project export to HEVC, Decodes H.264 but NO Encode on RX580 supported - CPU Maxed.
  5. Compressor 4.4.6 HEVC to H.264 transcode, Decode & Encode by RX580. A big surprise it works well.
  6. Compressor 4.4.6 H.264 to HEVC transcode, Decode only on RX580 as CPU maxed out.
  7. HEVC decode works fine (i.e. playing back HEVC content is silky smooth).
Now switch back to Mojave 10.14.6, iMacPro1,1, IGPU DISABLED, FCPX 10.4.6, Compressor 4.4.5.
This time, same HEVC 4K project exported to H.264 4K, RX580 load was 100% and it was Decoding and Encoding:

10.14.6-fcpx-10.4.6-HEVC-2-H264-4k.png

Then, taking the 4K H.264 project and exporting it as HEVC.
Again, this export, RX580 was maxed out at 100% decoding and encoding. But the CPU load was higher.
Interestingly, the export was much quicker (to HEVC than to H264):

10.14.6-fcpx-10.4.6-H264-2-HEVC-4k.png

Next test was Compressor 4.4.5.
Taking the same 4K HEVC clip and transcoding to H.264 was no problem.
RX580 was maxed out 100% decoding and encoding while the CPU utilisation was low:

10.14.6-Comp-4.4.5-HEVC-2-H264-4k.png

Next test was a surprise with Compressor.
Took the 4K H264 clip and transcoding to HEVC.
CPU loading was ~ 90% and RX580 load was ~ 3% and it was neither decoding nor encoding:

10.14.6-Comp-4.4.5-H264-2-HEVC-4k.png

So with a system as iMacPro1,1 running Mojave 10.14.6 + RX580 + NO IGPU (i.e disabled):
  1. FCPX 10.4.6: H.264 to HEVC Encode is supported and works well on the RX580 (CPU is used too).
  2. FCPX 10.4.6: HEVC to H.264 decode and encode fine on the RX580 (very little CPU used).
  3. Compressor 4.4.5: HEVC to H.264 decode & encode fine on the RX580 (very little CPU used).
  4. Compressor 4.4.5: H.264 to HEVC decode & encode does NOT work on the RX580 (CPU @ 90%)
  5. HEVC decode works fine (i.e. playing back HEVC content is silky smooth).

So my conclusion is that if your workflow requires HEVC output for FCPX, use Mojave 10.14.6 & FCPX 10.4.6 and Compressor 4.4.5.

iMacPro1,1 i make this change and all work :) and i enabled and disabled and i reinstall and lilu agen and green kext nothing. And now i read this and change just this little think iMacPro1,1 :) Thanks!

@macnb, appreciate you sharing your expertise, and grateful you took the time to provide this detailed test!! It clears all the doubts that I have. :thumbup:

There's nothing wrong with your config apart from the device properties you set for the IGPU. It is not necessary since you disable it in the BIOS. Even if it is enabled, WEG Kext would setup a headless IGPU for you so no need to use it.

Thanks for verifying my config. The device properties is left for me to switch back to iMac15,1 and use IGPU as headless (also IGPU enabled in the BIOS). I didn't know WEG would automatically setup headless IGPU with iMacPro1,1 and no need to have device properties. I still use iMac15,1 as my daily profile because I'm not certain any potential impact with iMacPro1,1 on my setup other than CPU power management (this can be solved by CPUFriend).

On a real iMacPro1,1 and many of the new Macs where there's no IGPU, they do have the T2 chip (even one's with IGPU have T2 chip).
The T2 chip does MORE than just security. It also does video encode and decode.
So when a real T2 chip is not available, it falls back to using the CPU - which what we are seeing.
For those fortunate folks with i9's with 6, 8, etc cores this eCPU's are much more powerful that you will not notice the load placed on the them while encoding HEVC.

It never comes to my mind that T2 chip can do encode and decode. Great behind the scene knowledge and no wonder people with i9 setup is capable to encode HEVC.

I do not have RX 5700XT so cannot comment how well it works with FCPX and Compressor as far as Decoding and Encoding is concerned. Just be aware of folks here on these forum who claim "RX 5700 XT is fully supported OOB". In general what they really mean is that the dGPU accelerates the macOS GUI and that does not mean it it will necessarily work certain Apps - even Apple's Apps. They need to prove CPU utilisation, dGPU utilisation and of course output quality.

I absolutely agree with you on this. People saying natively supported usually only indicate basic boot to desktop, or even some Apps codec support display. I was mislead and thought RX 580 can do HEVC encoding on 10.15.4 by reading posts on other forum. That's why I tested it myself and asked for clarification in this post.

So my conclusion is that if your workflow requires HEVC output for FCPX, use Mojave 10.14.6 & FCPX 10.4.6 and Compressor 4.4.5.
Thanks again for testing the full matrix on Mojave 10.14.6 and Catalina 10.15.5, I feel like I took a knowledgable lesson!

I bought RX 580 recently to replace GTX 970, refreshed my setup using OC and jumps to Catalina from Yosemite. Based on your result, the best way is probably to have dual boot of Mojave and Catalina, so that I can switch in between accordingly.

i'm trying to follow the same steps as above with an ASUS z-370 Prime II mobo, i5 9400 and RX580 but with no avail.
I have iGpu multi monitor enabled in BIOS, but even when it's disabled Videoproc doesn't show the RX580, only the Intel onboard GPU.
i'm running a imac pro 1,1 smbios, Lilu, WEG PEGP to GFX0, inject ATI and AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy.
would appreacite any help, thanks

i'm trying to follow the same steps as above with an ASUS z-370 Prime II mobo, i5 9400 and RX580 but with no avail.
I have iGpu multi monitor enabled in BIOS, but even when it's disabled Videoproc doesn't show the RX580, only the Intel onboard GPU.
i'm running a imac pro 1,1 smbios, Lilu, WEG PEGP to GFX0, inject ATI and AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy.
would appreacite any help, thanks

I have your motherboard with a Radeon VII running well...it's based on Pastry Chef's golden build. He's created several EFI setups and has BIOS settings you may want to look at. Think it may help.

I have your motherboard with a Radeon VII running well...it's based on Pastry Chef's golden build. He's created several EFI setups and has BIOS settings you may want to look at. Think it may help.
Thank you! Will look into that. And hardware acceleration is working for you?

Hi guys,

I tried to go through the thread but still confused.
I successfully installed Catalina 10.15.4 with Clover on my Dell XPS 8500 with i7-3770, MSI Radeon RX570 8GB.
As I understand i7-3770 has Intel graphics HD 4000. In the BIOS I set Enable Multi-Display support to Enabled. That's the only graphics related option it has. No memory for iGPU, nothing else.

System does not recognize iGPU. And when I run Davinci Resolve 16 rendering it does not utilize Radeon GPU (On Windows it does).
Is there a way to enable hardware acceleration?

Thanks in advance.
Hi. I have a Dell XPS 8500, so am definitely interested that you got yours running with Catalina. Mine is running High Sierra, which is about to become unsupported. I am currently using its Dell OEM AMD Radeon HD 7770. I would be interested in a few more details. Did you use Unibeast to prepare your installer? Other than the graphics issue you mention here, did you run into any other issues? I currently have everything working, including USB 3.0, sound, and even built-in WiFi. And very good graphics acceleration (for its age, or course). I can see your graphics acceleration issue seems to have worked out OK. So I'm interested whether there were or are any other issues. I am fully aware that if I try to go to Mojave or Catalina I will lose my OEM WiFi. Not a dealbreaker.

Thanks for looking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back