Contribute
Register

Radeon RX 4XX/5XX standalone system, AMDRadeonX4250.kext (GVA support H264) does not support HEVC HW

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do nothing special. In fact, I don't even set a frame-buffer or use any DSDT patches related to graphics. I let WhateverGreen handle everything and make sure that there are no clashes. In bios though, I set the memory allocation to maximum number possible. In my current machine it's 64 and in previous one it was 128.
And my current smbios is MacPro7,1 but it works with iMacPro1,1 as well.

Yeah for whatever reasons if I do the same my system hangs. I spent most of Saturday trying different options without much luck.

I tried Lilu+WEG and iMacPro1,1 with my i7-3770K and FCPX 10.4.8 still uses the CPU to encode HEVC 8-bit with and without IGPU enabled.
I did NOT expect it to use the IGPU as 3770K does not have HEVC capability.
FCPX 10.4.6 seems fine and uses the dGPU for encode and render.
Clearly a backward step with 10.4.8 in my case.

Just waiting for Apple to release an ICE LAKE based Mac so that I can replace by 3rd gen hack with 11th Gen hack finally. (That'll probably be the last Intel Mac from Apple.)
View attachment 460513View attachment 460514
I couldn't get HEVC to work with FCPX back when I had RX580 as well. I believe that it has nothing to do with the state of iGPU. RX580 just doesn't give you HEVC acceleration in FCPX after a certain version.
I was also getting better H.264 (I use it more than HEVC) performance when using both iGPU and dGPU, so, I went back to iMac18 and used iGPU in headless mode until I upgraded.

Yeah for whatever reasons if I do the same my system hangs. I spent most of Saturday trying different options without much luck.
Do you mind me having a look at your EFI?

Did someone try to change SMBIOS to MacPro 7,1 to see any changes.
I see his video and wondering if ti change something :
Yes, but your motherboard and cpu must be compatible. I'm on 1155 and it's not compatible with Mac Pro 7,1

Hello,
You should see

Il allow to change your smbios different even if your hackintosh is incompatible.
I discover cpufriend.kext to ber very usefull...

Did someone try to change SMBIOS to MacPro 7,1 to see any changes.
I see his video and wondering if ti change something :

He does NOT prove that the changes he make to SMBIOS to MacPro7,1 ACTUALLY made any difference.
He does NOT show that his system can encode AND decode BOTH h.264 AND HEVC.
He does NOT show that any CPU loads NOR GPU loads for various Apps that he has (videoproc, FCPX, Adobe Premier, etc).
He does NOT show BEFORE and AFTER "benchmarks".

All these Apps use the CPU and GPU differently - especially FCPX (which works differently between different versions of ITSELF even on real Mac's).

You have to try it yourself and prove to yourself it works using repeatable/verifiable tests.

Yes, but your motherboard and cpu must be compatible. I'm on 1155 and it's not compatible with Mac Pro 7,1
Ideally yes.
But you can use other SMBIOS's.
For example, on my Ivy Bridge (i7-3770K) on Z77 chipset, I use iMacPro1,1 with CPUFriend kext and get fairly reasonable power management. I disable the IGPU.
It's not perfect but I can achieve HEVC encode and decode using the RX580 and very little CPU load when funning FCPX.

Hi there @macnb

On my Z390 i9 9900KS iMP build, would it be better to spoof the CPU and/or the mobo?

FWIW, I had the paid version of VideoProc. It doesn't actually use the GPU, it just pretends to. I had a back and forth with the company and they admitted that AMD and MacOS isn't supported. They gave me a refund after a month of email flurry.

Attachments

• config.plist
    8 KB · Views: 85
He does NOT prove that the changes he make to SMBIOS to MacPro7,1 ACTUALLY made any difference.
He does NOT show that his system can encode AND decode BOTH h.264 AND HEVC.
He does NOT show that any CPU loads NOR GPU loads for various Apps that he has (videoproc, FCPX, Adobe Premier, etc).
He does NOT show BEFORE and AFTER "benchmarks".

All these Apps use the CPU and GPU differently - especially FCPX (which works differently between different versions of ITSELF even on real Mac's).

You have to try it yourself and prove to yourself it works using repeatable/verifiable tests.

I tried the recommendations in the video and ran some tests. So far, the older version of Final Cut 10.4.6 still renders considerably faster than the new one.

The changes made in 10.4.8 seem to break hardware acceleration causing H265 to render painful slow and also double the render time for H264.

Here's a basic test:

A 1:30 1080p video was rendered using the 'Apple Devices 1080p' and the 'Apple Device 4K 8bit HEVC' standard presets. Here's the results:

FCPX 10.4.6
1080p render time = 30 seconds
4K 8bit HEVC render time = 28 seconds

FCPX 10.4.8
1080p render time = 1:10
4K 8bit HEVC render time = 4:15

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back