Contribute
Register

Radeon RX 4XX/5XX standalone system, AMDRadeonX4250.kext (GVA support H264) does not support HEVC HW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Final Cut X version 10.4.8 - HEVC Hardware Acceleration Not working
Final Cut X Version 10.4.6 - Working

Same goes for Compressor and Motion...new versions don't have acceleration, previous versions do

You can still render in the new versions, they're just painfully slow without the hardware acceleration

OK thanks.
I assume you are using macOS 10.15.4 ?

Final Cut X version 10.4.8 - HEVC Hardware Acceleration Not working
Final Cut X Version 10.4.6 - Working

Same goes for Compressor and Motion...new versions don't have acceleration, previous versions do

You can still render in the new versions, they're just painfully slow without the hardware acceleration
Let me add to it that HEVC works with 10.4.8 when iGPU is ENABLED in the bios. Even if you use smbios which don't use iGPU i.e. iMacPro1,1. iGPU doesn't get utilised though, dGPU handles everything. But it has to be ENABLED in the bios.

Due to this I had to spend extra and buy i7-9700k instead of i7-9700kf. >.<

Let me add to it that HEVC works with 10.4.8 when iGPU is ENABLED in the bios. Even if you use smbios which don't use iGPU i.e. iMacPro1,1. iGPU doesn't get utilised though, dGPU handles everything. But it has to be ENABLED in the bios.

Could you clarify as to whether you configure the IGPU in BIOS as primary or secondary,
and whether you configure the IGPU as headless, for each SMBIOS that you try?

Could you clarify as to whether you configure the IGPU in BIOS as primary or secondary,
and whether you configure the IGPU as headless, for each SMBIOS that you try?
dGPU is always primary.
With iMacPro1,1 & MacPro7,1 iGPU frame-buffer makes no difference. It's same be it headless or otherwise.
With iMac17/18/19 etc. if iGPU is enabled and headless then iGPU & dGPU both are used for acceleration. Never tried with non-headless frame-buffer with these smbios.

Let me add to it that HEVC works with 10.4.8 when iGPU is ENABLED in the bios. Even if you use smbios which don't use iGPU i.e. iMacPro1. iGPU doesn't get utilised though, dGPU handles everything. But it has to be ENABLED in the bios.

Thanks, I couldn't make acceleration work on FCPX 10.4.8 when the iGPU was enabled using Mac 1,1. Any special settings you used? Which OS are you on?

I tried 19,1 as well without success. But I was also having boot freezes unless I changed the platform ID to headless while iGPU was active. And I'm not sure I was using the right one.

It all gets a bit confusing and I may need a few drinks while I sort it out.

Thanks, I couldn't make acceleration work on FCPX 10.4.8 when the iGPU was enabled using Mac 1,1. Any special settings you used? Which OS are you on?

I tried 19,1 as well without success. But I was also having boot freezes unless I changed the platform ID to headless while iGPU was active. And I'm not sure I was using the right one.

It all gets a bit confusing and I may need a few drinks while I sort it out.
I do nothing special. In fact, I don't even set a frame-buffer or use any DSDT patches related to graphics. I let WhateverGreen handle everything and make sure that there are no clashes. In bios though, I set the memory allocation to maximum number possible. In my current machine it's 64 and in previous one it was 128.
And my current smbios is MacPro7,1 but it works with iMacPro1,1 as well.

For reference, HP8300CMT i5-3470 RX570 is used.
If the following settings are not made, the dGPU is primary and the iGPU is not enabled.

CLOVER config.plist
Device->Properties->PciRoot(0)/Pci(0x02,0) = There is an instruction to set in WEG, but delete it.
Graphics->Injext Intel = true
Graphics->ig-platform-id = 0x0162007

Edit:
After testing with Clover r5115, the dGPU was primary and iGPU was enabled with the following settings as well.
Device->Properties->PciRoot(0)/Pci(0x02,0)
AAPL,ig-platform-id = (data)<07006201> ( 0x01620007) or (data)<06006201> ( 0x01620006)

HP BIOS Conputer setup(F10)
Advanced->Device Options->Integrated video = Enable
Advanced->VGA configration->Intel VGA controller:Non-boot device
(Set dGPU as boot device)

The setting method seems to change depending on the model.

Last edited:
dGPU is always primary.
With iMacPro1,1 & MacPro7,1 iGPU frame-buffer makes no difference. It's same be it headless or otherwise.
With iMac17/18/19 etc. if iGPU is enabled and headless then iGPU & dGPU both are used for acceleration. Never tried with non-headless frame-buffer with these smbios.
I tried Lilu+WEG and iMacPro1,1 with my i7-3770K and FCPX 10.4.8 still uses the CPU to encode HEVC 8-bit with and without IGPU enabled.
I did NOT expect it to use the IGPU as 3770K does not have HEVC capability.
FCPX 10.4.6 seems fine and uses the dGPU for encode and render.
Clearly a backward step with 10.4.8 in my case.

Just waiting for Apple to release an ICE LAKE based Mac so that I can replace by 3rd gen hack with 11th Gen hack finally. (That'll probably be the last Intel Mac from Apple.)
Screenshot 2020-04-08 at 14.41.45.png
Screenshot 2020-04-08 at 14.47.41.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back