Contribute
Register

Radeon RX 4XX/5XX standalone system, AMDRadeonX4250.kext (GVA support H264) does not support HEVC HW

Status
Not open for further replies.
i'll try it but with this value both GPUs are shown in activity monitor and also work as shown in my earlier post?
Are you connecting your HDMI cable to RX 580? What SMBIOS value are you using?
Can u please download luxmark www.luxmark.info/
and take screenshot?
Thanks

You can find Hd630 and rx580 in your system information.Both have Metal.I had connect HDMI to HD630,SMBIOS imac19,2, 3e9b0007 (in device/Properties)

Attachments

• luxmark.png
    luxmark.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 155
You can find Hd630 and rx580 in your system information.Both have Metal.I had connect HDMI to HD630,SMBIOS imac19,2, 3e9b0007 (in device/Properties)
I patched the Frame buffer for my i7-8700k and FCP worked but at the time of export to Computer it rebooted the computer, also Darktable (a free lightroom alternative) crashes H264 will not work.

May be the difference in mother board (mine is GA 370n wifi) makes the difference? I have BIOS V10 I have not updated to the latest one as I have to patch ACPI to use the BIOS to use the latest BIOS and mainly it is for using the 9th generation processor. Do you think I should update the BIOS?

Also I attach my monitor to RX 570 HDMI

I have found that though Videoproc says H264 Hardware acceleration enabled, Hackintool says VDA decoder fully supported at the time of encoding it is not able to use it, in Handbrake if I select H264 Videotoolbox codec it is not able to encode
@Rajkhand: The AMD GPU Menue Tool doenst need any extra kext.
If the AMD GPU is used by compressor - its GPU Load on it but no HW Enc is aktive = NO it means Apple doenst use the HW Enc feature ( its like Quicksnyc an HW efture of the GPU) of the GPU but uses the GPU other way (Metal / OpenCL). REsolve use the AMD HW feature for Dec and ENC, FCP & Compressor may use not the HW Dec / Enc feature. Apple may use the gpu for many other tasks of redering / scaling etc. without builtin HW Enc or at least uses own non HW but GPU related code (Metal gpu) to speed up also encoding by the gpu.

PS: HVEC is working on my RX 460 with Lilu 1.40 und WEG 1.3.6 on OS X 10.15.2. WEG 1.3.5 no HVEC Enc in 10.15.2 but in Mojave.
So if I understand you correctly compressor uses the GPU for some code during H265 encode using OpenCL/Metal but not the H265 encoder built in RX570? As I mentioned earlier Activity monitor shows activity in both the GPUs. even if the AMD GPU is used for some function at least your program should show load value but just for a fraction of a second it showed load value=22% but for all the time during encode the load value=0. Why?

I tried it and can confirm that FCP works but if I try to share for Computer device it reboots the computer. Also Hackintool says VDA Decoder Fully Supported but Videoproc cannot enable HEVC encoder
Which macOS version?
I patched the Frame buffer for my i7-8700k and FCP worked but at the time of export to Computer it rebooted the computer, also Darktable (a free lightroom alternative) crashes H264 will not work.

May be the difference in mother board (mine is GA 370n wifi) makes the difference? I have BIOS V10 I have not updated to the latest one as I have to patch ACPI to use the BIOS to use the latest BIOS and mainly it is for using the 9th generation processor. Do you think I should update the BIOS?

Also I attach my monitor to RX 570 HDMI

I think updating the BIOS will be more complicated now,Because the issues before/after bios update cannot be identify

Which version of macos?

I use 10.15.2 and HEVCEnabler.kext to enable HEVC,In videoproc have all h.264/HEVC hardware decoder/encoder.
I back to imacpro1,1 to make more system stable and faster (I will show you the test result). In imac19,2 3e9b0007, when using OpenGL Extensions Viewer v6.0.1 to test HD630, I got restart

Using Geenbench v4 to test the HD630 opencl will also restart. The restart time cannot be determin, sometimes it will happen, sometimes it will not. I had three restarts in imac19,2

So I decided to switch to imacpro1,1 and using it now.

My Hardware
Ga Z370 M
MSI Radeon rx580 Armor 8G OC
32G DDR4-3000
ADATA SX8200PNP 512G Pci-e NVME
TOSHIBA 2TB SATA3 Hard disk

Clover bootloader V5100

UEFI

ApfsDriverLoader.efi
DataHubDxe.efi
EmuVariableUefi.efi
FSInject.efi
HFSPlus.efi
NvmExpressDxe.efi
OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi
PartitionDxe.efi

KEXT
HEVCEnabler.kext (v.1.0)
XHCI-unsupported.kext (v.0.9.2)
WhateverGreen.kext (v.1.3.5)
USBPorts.kext (v.1.0) ----Customized USB 2/3 BY Hackintool v2.8.7 and recognize
Lilu.kext (v.1.4.0)
IntelMausiEthernet.kext (v.2.4.1d1)
FakeSMC.kext (v.1800)
FakeSMC_SMMSensors.kext (v.1800)
FakeSMC_LPCSensors.kext (v.1800)
FakeSMC_GPUSensors.kext (v.1800)
FakeSMC_CPUSensors.kext (v.1800)
FakeSMC_ACPISensors.kext (v.1800)
AppleALC.kext (v.1.4.4)

Config.plist ----references as attach (Please remember to enter your serial number and others)
The 10.15.2 H.264 HEVC Performance Test Result config.plst setting
imacpro1,1 use 3e928086/32920003
Imac18,3 use 59128086/59120003
Imac19,3 use ox0/ox0 ----Please add the following content to Device by clover configurator/TEXT Mode

Clover/device/Properties text mode (patch by Hackintool)
-------------------------------------------------------------------
<key>Properties</key>
<dict>
<key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x2,0x0)</key>
<dict>
<key>AAPL,ig-platform-id</key>
<data>
BwCbPg==
</data>
<key>AAPL,slot-name</key>
<string>Internal@0,2,0</string>
<key>device-id</key>
<data>
mz4AAA==
</data>
<key>device_type</key>
<string>Display controller</string>
<key>enable-hdmi20</key>
<data>
AQAAAA==
</data>
<key>framebuffer-con0-busid</key>
<data>
AQAAAA==
</data>
<key>framebuffer-con0-enable</key>
<data>
AQAAAA==
</data>
<key>framebuffer-con0-pipe</key>
<data>
EgAAAA==
</data>
<key>framebuffer-con1-busid</key>
<data>
AgAAAA==
</data>
<key>framebuffer-con1-enable</key>
<data>
AQAAAA==
</data>
<key>framebuffer-con1-pipe</key>
<data>
EgAAAA==
</data>
<key>framebuffer-con1-type</key>
<data>
AAgAAA==
</data>
<key>framebuffer-con2-busid</key>
<data>
BAAAAA==
</data>
<key>framebuffer-con2-enable</key>
<data>
AQAAAA==
</data>
<key>framebuffer-con2-pipe</key>
<data>
EgAAAA==
</data>
<key>framebuffer-con2-type</key>
<data>
AAgAAA==
</data>
<key>framebuffer-patch-enable</key>
<data>
AQAAAA==
</data>
<key>framebuffer-unifiedmem</key>
<data>
AAAAgA==
</data>
<key>hda-gfx</key>
<string>onboard-2</string>
<key>model</key>
<string>Intel UHD Graphics 630 (Mobile)</string>
</dict>
</dict>

working
USB2/3 port limited 15 by USBPorts.kext
Sleep/Weak up (Hibernate Mode:0)
airplay to LG 4K 55" TV (by intel NIC)
AUDIO
BT4 (GMYLE BT 4.0 dongle)

Attachments

• config.plist
    13.1 KB · Views: 107
  • 10.15.2 H.264 HEVC Performance Test Result 12:17:2019.jpeg
    10.15.2 H.264 HEVC Performance Test Result 12:17:2019.jpeg
    617.2 KB · Views: 105
"I have found that though Videoproc says H264 Hardware acceleration enabled, Hackintool says VDA decoder fully supported at the time of encoding it is not able to use it, in Handbrake if I select H264 Videotoolbox codec it is not able to encode"

Also Handbrale is very good to test in AMD HW Enc really works.
If Handbrake fails with H264Videotoolbox Codec - at least h264 should work also with 10.15.2!! - something is wrong.

HINTS:
1. If you use Videoproc to check if HW Enc is supported - means green - then please UPDATE = REFRESH the shown green/red sometimes manually!
Why? The check for green/red takes a few seconds each test (h264+HVEC) so Videoproc does this test only if on its frist run - not at every start of the app!
In case of OS X Update - perhaps you lost HW Enc = or got HW Enc - you NOT see the real HW Enc situation of red/green. You see the situation in the past - which can be real or not (changed!!)
Be sure you refresh the HW enc check manually by clicking on the circle beside each red/green indikator.

Pic below shows HW check after i manually refreshed the HW Enc check. Thats the real situation after i installed 10.15.2.
Before (without) my manual refresh it showed also HVEC as OK, green - but that was wrong / shows the past 10.15.1 were HW HVEC worked!!!

Bildschirmfoto 2019-12-16 um 09.25.35.jpg

This manual refresh of the HW Enc check also needed if you change some GPU related Colver config or WEG or special dummy.kexts!!!!
Backgrundinfo: The check of Videoproc uses Apples API Videotoolbox - which also Handbrake uses.

2. If Videoproc shows (after manually refreshed HW enc check) no ENC and also Handbrake fails to encode h264Videotoolbox Codec, you can be sure something in the config for the AMD GPU is wrong.
H264 HW Enc should work also with 10.15.2, only HVEC Enc is broken.

3. If you will make speed tests - Videproc shows FPS at encoding time - be sure to disable AUTO COPY option before you start the encoding. FPS should be much higher - at least 2-3 times if you activate GPU HW Enc compared to CPU only. And also higher compared to iGPU HW Enc!
Videoproc cant display the real used GPU - shows mostly INTEL even an Intel iGPU is not available (disabled in BIOS ;) ) and your AMD does the HW Enc. You can be sure that INTEL means your AMD GPU if you disabled the iGPU complete. You cant be sure if you habe IGPu aktive (headless). The only way in this case - you have iGPU + AMD - is to use Intel Power Gadget any look for the iGPU load.

My system has iGPU disabled in BIOS and i use iMacPro smbios. Before i used iMac13,2 with headless IGPU and WEG method to spoof iMacPro ID - didnt worked. So i switch to iMacPro SMBIOS and deaktivated the iGPU completely.

Last edited:
Which macOS version?

I think updating the BIOS will be more complicated now,Because the issues before/after bios update cannot be identify

Which version of macos?

I use 10.15.2 and HEVCEnabler.kext to enable HEVC,In videoproc have all h.264/HEVC hardware decoder/encoder.
I back to imacpro1,1 to make more system stable and faster (I will show you the test result). In imac19,2 3e9b0007, when using OpenGL Extensions Viewer v6.0.1 to test HD630, I got restart

Using Geenbench v4 to test the HD630 opencl will also restart. The restart time cannot be determin, sometimes it will happen, sometimes it will not. I had three restarts in imac19,2

So I decided to switch to imacpro1,1 and using it now.

My Hardware
Ga Z370 M
MSI Radeon rx580 Armor 8G OC
32G DDR4-3000
ADATA SX8200PNP 512G Pci-e NVME
TOSHIBA 2TB SATA3 Hard disk

Clover bootloader V5100

UEFI

ApfsDriverLoader.efi
DataHubDxe.efi
EmuVariableUefi.efi
FSInject.efi
HFSPlus.efi
NvmExpressDxe.efi
OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi
PartitionDxe.efi

KEXT
HEVCEnabler.kext (v.1.0)
XHCI-unsupported.kext (v.0.9.2)
WhateverGreen.kext (v.1.3.5)
USBPorts.kext (v.1.0) ----Customized USB 2/3 BY Hackintool v2.8.7 and recognize
Lilu.kext (v.1.4.0)
IntelMausiEthernet.kext (v.2.4.1d1)
FakeSMC.kext (v.1800)
FakeSMC_SMMSensors.kext (v.1800)
FakeSMC_LPCSensors.kext (v.1800)
FakeSMC_GPUSensors.kext (v.1800)
FakeSMC_CPUSensors.kext (v.1800)
FakeSMC_ACPISensors.kext (v.1800)
AppleALC.kext (v.1.4.4)

Config.plist ----references as attach (Please remember to enter your serial number and others)
The 10.15.2 H.264 HEVC Performance Test Result config.plst setting
imacpro1,1 use 3e928086/32920003
Imac18,3 use 59128086/59120003
Imac19,3 use ox0/ox0 ----Please add the following content to Device by clover configurator/TEXT Mode

Clover/device/Properties text mode (patch by Hackintool)
-------------------------------------------------------------------
<key>Properties</key>
<dict>
<key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x2,0x0)</key>
<dict>
<key>AAPL,ig-platform-id</key>
<data>
BwCbPg==
</data>
<key>AAPL,slot-name</key>
<string>Internal@0,2,0</string>
<key>device-id</key>
<data>
mz4AAA==
</data>
<key>device_type</key>
<string>Display controller</string>
<key>enable-hdmi20</key>
<data>
AQAAAA==
</data>
<key>framebuffer-con0-busid</key>
<data>
AQAAAA==
</data>
<key>framebuffer-con0-enable</key>
<data>
AQAAAA==
</data>
<key>framebuffer-con0-pipe</key>
<data>
EgAAAA==
</data>
<key>framebuffer-con1-busid</key>
<data>
AgAAAA==
</data>
<key>framebuffer-con1-enable</key>
<data>
AQAAAA==
</data>
<key>framebuffer-con1-pipe</key>
<data>
EgAAAA==
</data>
<key>framebuffer-con1-type</key>
<data>
AAgAAA==
</data>
<key>framebuffer-con2-busid</key>
<data>
BAAAAA==
</data>
<key>framebuffer-con2-enable</key>
<data>
AQAAAA==
</data>
<key>framebuffer-con2-pipe</key>
<data>
EgAAAA==
</data>
<key>framebuffer-con2-type</key>
<data>
AAgAAA==
</data>
<key>framebuffer-patch-enable</key>
<data>
AQAAAA==
</data>
<key>framebuffer-unifiedmem</key>
<data>
AAAAgA==
</data>
<key>hda-gfx</key>
<string>onboard-2</string>
<key>model</key>
<string>Intel UHD Graphics 630 (Mobile)</string>
</dict>
</dict>

working
USB2/3 port limited 15 by USBPorts.kext
Sleep/Weak up (Hibernate Mode:0)
airplay to LG 4K 55" TV (by intel NIC)
AUDIO
BT4 (GMYLE BT 4.0 dongle)
I use 10.15.2 Catalina I have never tried smbios 1,1, at present I am using smbios 19,1 with GPU enabled in the bios and using one of the headless id for coffeelake. Will see in detail your configuration once I reach home in the evening and will post my findings.

Thanks for your advice.

"I have found that though Videoproc says H264 Hardware acceleration enabled, Hackintool says VDA decoder fully supported at the time of encoding it is not able to use it, in Handbrake if I select H264 Videotoolbox codec it is not able to encode"

Also Handbrale is very good to test in AMD HW Enc really works.
If Handbrake fails with H264Videotoolbox Codec - at least h264 should work also with 10.15.2!! - something is wrong.

HINTS:
1. If you use Videoproc to check if HW Enc is supported - means green - then please UPDATE = REFRESH the shown green/red sometimes manually!
Why? The check for green/red takes a few seconds each test (h264+HVEC) so Videoproc does this test only if on its frist run - not at every start of the app!
In case of OS X Update - perhaps you lost HW Enc = or got HW Enc - you NOT see the real HW Enc situation of red/green. You see the situation in the past - which can be real or not (changed!!)
Be sure you refresh the HW enc check manually by clicking on the circle beside each red/green indikator.

Pic below shows HW check after i manually refreshed the HW Enc check. Thats the real situation after i installed 10.15.2.
Before (without) my manual refresh it showed also HVEC as OK, green - but that was wrong / shows the past 10.15.1 were HW HVEC worked!!!

View attachment 440846

This manual refresh of the HW Enc check also needed if you change some GPU related Colver config or WEG or special dummy.kexts!!!!
Backgrundinfo: The check of Videoproc uses Apples API Videotoolbox - which also Handbrake uses.

2. If Videoproc shows (after manually refreshed HW enc check) no ENC and also Handbrake fails to encode h264Videotoolbox Codec, you can be sure something in the config for the AMD GPU is wrong.
H264 HW Enc should work also with 10.15.2, only HVEC Enc is broken.

3. If you will make speed tests - Videproc shows FPS at encoding time - be sure to disable AUTO COPY option before you start the encoding. FPS should be much higher - at least 2-3 times if you activate GPU HW Enc compared to CPU only. And also higher compared to iGPU HW Enc!
Videoproc cant display the real used GPU - shows mostly INTEL even an Intel iGPU is not available (disabled in BIOS ;) ) and your AMD does the HW Enc. You can be sure that INTEL means your AMD GPU if you disabled the iGPU complete. You cant be sure if you habe IGPu aktive (headless). The only way in this case - you have iGPU + AMD - is to use Intel Power Gadget any look for the iGPU load.

My system has iGPU disabled in BIOS and i use iMacPro smbios. Before i used iMac13,2 with headless IGPU and WEG method to spoof iMacPro ID - didnt worked. So i switch to iMacPro SMBIOS and deaktivated the iGPU completely.
I was doing that pressing reload button and once it turned green did the encode, it created a log file in the library/application support/videoproc where it said something like could not initialize videotoolbox

Here some Handbake speed tests (AMD Menue runnung in the Menue).
HW h265 (API Videotoolbox) over 10 times faster than CPU only - with RX 460.

1. h265Videotoolbox Codec = HW Enc with AMD 460 = around 197 BPS Enc: Yes
AMD GPU Load: 23% - HW Enc working doesn't mean the GPU always getting 100% load!
Bildschirmfoto 2019-12-17 um 09.25.55.jpg

Now same Video but without HW Enc , Videocodec h265 = CPU only 14 BPS, GPU Load: 0 %, HW Enc: No
Bildschirmfoto 2019-12-17 um 09.26.30.jpg

"I was doing that pressing reload button and once it turned green did the encode, it created a log file in the library/application support/videoproc where it said something like could not initialize videotoolbox"

Yep, i had the same problem - iGPU headless - using SMBIOS imac13,2. Headless config was 100% OK but problems using HW Enc.
Did lot of sksivga tests ... until i switched to SMBIOS iMacPro and disabled iGPU in BIOS and removed all Clover Options für iGPU (headless ID, Injekt Intel..).
I then restarted and HW Enc works - WEG used as before. I have IVY cpu but even with iMacPro SMBIOS all is OK - cpu speedstep works as before. I only disabled generate p/c states and aktivate Plugin and Plugintype = 1. Now and before never used an ssdt.aml for CPU Pstates. Clover did all well - before by generate p/cstates , now by using Plugintype and Plugintype=1.
Bildschirmfoto 2019-12-17 um 09.45.24.jpg

with changing smbios to imacpro1,1 HEVC 265 which was working previously with SMBIOS 19,1 WORKS
Videoproc after clicking reload shows both 264/265 enabled
H264 FAILS like 19,1 both videoproc and handbrake
Just going to Netflix.com totally freezes the system in 1,1 but in 19,1 will open the page but will not play content
EDIT
After booting the second time Tv+ App, Netflix and Amazon Prime WORKS in SAFARI

What I have done
Changed the SMBIOS to 1,1 loaded the latest whatevergreen 1.3.6 provided compiled on this forum, removed all entries from devices/properties, disabled igpu in Bios, boot option shikigva=16.

What I am missing?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back