Contribute
Register

Radeon RX 4XX/5XX standalone system, AMDRadeonX4250.kext (GVA support H264) does not support HEVC HW

Status
Not open for further replies.
HEVC won't work unless you use WhateverGreen 1.3.6 - not released yet. See @david279 post on page 129. He has built from source code and attached a kext.

I also have iGPU disabled as I cannot get OC or Clover to work with it enabled. Get some allocation error no matter what settings or memory size I choose. Attached is my EFI but it is with 1.3.5 not 1.3.6, also cleared some of the SMBIOS entries.

Thanks man. I did use 1.3.6, built it myself. Can’t see that I built it wrong since I’ve built other kexts. I will try out his kext too.

Hi guys, I have successfully used OC with iMacPro1,1 with a few exceptions:

1. Given that I have a Haswell processor and using iMacPro1,1 do I need any/all of these boot-args lilucpu=10 agdpmod=pikera shikigva=96 shiki-id=Mac-7BA5B2D9E42DDD94.

2. I have IX2790 5K display but under About this Mac > Displays, it shows 4K resolution. If this were just cosmetic it would have been fine but when I reboot with apps open, on login they shift upwards making the top bar of each app inaccessible. This tells me that the system starts in 4K but then quickly switches to 5K.

Just one note: I have a NVMe SSD installed using PCIe card as my mother board doesn't have an NVMe slot. This results in RX 590 getting 8 lanes instead of 16. Not sure if this is the cause of the 5K vs 4K issue.
Does your question #1 have something to do with HEVC or H264? If so, then describe what is or isn't working. If not, then this should be posted elsewhere. I don't think OC was mentioned in this thread before so maybe you need to explain how it's relevant (is it better than Clover for this purpose?).

#2 is definitely not related to HEVC or H264.
The number of PCIe lanes used by the graphics card should not have an effect on the display. Post screen shot of timing info (Pixel Clock, Active, Scale To, Scan Rate) shown by SwitchResX when you double click the current resolution in the Current Resolutions tab. Upload result of the following command:
Code:
/System/Library/Extensions/AppleGraphicsControl.kext/Contents/MacOS/AGDCDiagnose -a > AGDCDiagnose_a.txt 2>&1
I don't know what the behavior of a 5K DisplayPort 1.4 display is on a Mac (or a PC). I have a dual cable 5K DisplayPort 1.2 display. I haven't seen info for an iMac 5K display (I think it must also be dual cable to support 5K 10 bpc). My display boots in a low res mode that is not even 4K (it's not 2560x1440 either). EFI display drivers probably don't do dual cable 5K. Maybe you need an override file that sets DisplayPixelDimensions to 5120 x 2880 or modifies the EDID somehow.

Updated AMD GPU Menue (RX 4xx/4xx only!) to V0.8
- now shows also GPU HW Decoding aktiv = YES oder NO
- Max Temp / Max Clk Values (Shown if you click on AMD Menue = are resetable - simple click in this max Values line

PS: Davinci Resolve ( i use Mojave) shows both (Dec=YES on playing, Dec+Enc=YES on export) - FCP didnt shows Dec on play - FCP handles the GPU litte different case of HW dec - not used - but uses the gpu also.
View attachment 440545
I am sure you will see changes in the Redering Speeds xxx FPS encoding h265 if HW Enc is not used / not working . At least if you have not an ultra high speed 12 Cores+ CPU ;)

PS2: You can change refresh rate of the values by setting lower refresh time as default 2 sec. Use the slide to measure faster /less refresh time) after you click on the AMD menue line.
When I compress with compressor 4.4.5 the Sony sword demo with HEVC 256 8 bit, Activity monitor shows that AMD RX 570 is being used and also intel power gadget shows hd 630 utilisation but you menu program doesn't, is there some special requirement for you menu program? some kext file?

Does your question #1 have something to do with HEVC or H264? If so, then describe what is or isn't working. If not, then this should be posted elsewhere. I don't think OC was mentioned in this thread before so maybe you need to explain how it's relevant (is it better than Clover for this purpose?).

#2 is definitely not related to HEVC or H264.
The number of PCIe lanes used by the graphics card should not have an effect on the display. Post screen shot of timing info (Pixel Clock, Active, Scale To, Scan Rate) shown by SwitchResX when you double click the current resolution in the Current Resolutions tab. Upload result of the following command:
Code:
/System/Library/Extensions/AppleGraphicsControl.kext/Contents/MacOS/AGDCDiagnose -a > AGDCDiagnose_a.txt 2>&1
I don't know what the behavior of a 5K DisplayPort 1.4 display is on a Mac (or a PC). I have a dual cable 5K DisplayPort 1.2 display. I haven't seen info for an iMac 5K display (I think it must also be dual cable to support 5K 10 bpc). My display boots in a low res mode that is not even 4K (it's not 2560x1440 either). EFI display drivers probably don't do dual cable 5K. Maybe you need an override file that sets DisplayPixelDimensions to 5120 x 2880 or modifies the EDID somehow.

Hi Joevt,

- I mentioned OC for clarity and wasn't sure if it was relevant, not suggesting one bootloader is better than the other.
- RX 590 is a recent purchase and had to switch to iMacPro11 to get my PC to work. In trying various things including trying various SMBIOS profiles, I think I had both H264 and HEVC working. May be 10.15.2 broke it.
- Based on some of the previous posts I tried these boot-args (agdpmod=pikera shikigva=96 shiki-id=Mac-7BA5B2D9E42DDD94). Finally it worked using WEG 1.3.6 but I am not sure if I should continue with these boot-args.
- I found this forum (https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/adding-using-hidpi-custom-resolutions.133254/page-87#post-2028113) regarding IX2790 and will post the details there later today.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Hi Joevt,

- I mentioned OC for clarity and wasn't sure if it was relevant, not suggesting one bootloader is better than the other.
- RX 590 is a recent purchase and had to switch to iMacPro11 to get my PC to work. In trying various things including trying various SMBIOS profiles, I think I had both H264 and HEVC working. May be 10.15.2 broke it.
- Based on some of the previous posts I tried these boot-args (agdpmod=pikera shikigva=96 shiki-id=Mac-7BA5B2D9E42DDD94). Finally it worked using WEG 1.3.6 but I am not sure if I should continue with these boot-args.
- I found this forum (https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/adding-using-hidpi-custom-resolutions.133254/page-87#post-2028113) regarding IX2790 and will post the details there later today.

Thank you!

Wait, so hevc is not working for you in 10.15.2?

I'm using OC, rx580, WEG 1.3.6 and hevc doesn't work for me (10.15.2)

When I compress with compressor 4.4.5 the Sony sword demo with HEVC 256 8 bit, Activity monitor shows that AMD RX 570 is being used and also intel power gadget shows hd 630 utilisation but you menu program doesn't, is there some special requirement for you menu program? some kext file?

@Rajkhand: The AMD GPU Menue Tool doenst need any extra kext.
If the AMD GPU is used by compressor - its GPU Load on it but no HW Enc is aktive = NO it means Apple doenst use the HW Enc feature ( its like Quicksnyc an HW efture of the GPU) of the GPU but uses the GPU other way (Metal / OpenCL). REsolve use the AMD HW feature for Dec and ENC, FCP & Compressor may use not the HW Dec / Enc feature. Apple may use the gpu for many other tasks of redering / scaling etc. without builtin HW Enc or at least uses own non HW but GPU related code (Metal gpu) to speed up also encoding by the gpu.

PS: HVEC is working on my RX 460 with Lilu 1.40 und WEG 1.3.6 on OS X 10.15.2. WEG 1.3.5 no HVEC Enc in 10.15.2 but in Mojave.

@Rajkhand: The AMD GPU Menue Tool doenst need any extra kext.
If the AMD GPU is used by compressor - its GPU Load on it but no HW Enc is aktive = NO it means Apple doenst use the HW Enc feature ( its like Quicksnyc an HW efture of the GPU) of the GPU but uses the GPU other way (Metal / OpenCL). REsolve use the AMD HW feature for Dec and ENC, FCP & Compressor may use not the HW Dec / Enc feature. Apple may use the gpu for many other tasks of redering / scaling etc. without builtin HW Enc or at least uses own non HW but GPU related code (Metal gpu) to speed up also encoding by the gpu.

PS: HVEC is working on my RX 460 with Lilu 1.40 und WEG 1.3.6 on OS X 10.15.2. WEG 1.3.5 no HVEC Enc in 10.15.2 but in Mojave.
It work :)
I patch MY MSI RX460 -4GB single fan with Sapphire RX560-4GB Single fan BIOS and work like charm. ever other parametter are perfect. fan speed. temp. and core clock/memory.
HEVC work perfect.
I use SMBios iMacPro1,1 - lilu 1.4 /Watevergreen 1.3.6 / no other boot flag

Wait, so hevc is not working for you in 10.15.2?

I'm using OC, rx580, WEG 1.3.6 and hevc doesn't work for me (10.15.2)

Works for me with 1.3.6. See attached. I hope this is the correct way to verify.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-12-16 at 1.31.38 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-12-16 at 1.31.38 PM.png
    283.1 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
Works for me with 1.3.6. See attached. I hope this is the correct way to verify.

still graphics n/a though.
have you confirmed HEVC is actually working for decoding and encoding?

still graphics n/a though.
have you confirmed HEVC is actually working for decoding and encoding?

Hi, sorry no I did not do that. I assumed we can rely on VideoProc test.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back