Contribute
Register

Radeon RX 4XX/5XX standalone system, AMDRadeonX4250.kext (GVA support H264) does not support HEVC HW

Status
Not open for further replies.
videoProc says that HEVC is ok ;)
VideoProc stating it's OK is not the same as actually doing a real encode.
Use VideoProc (or if you have FCPX) to encode a video clip to HEVC to check that it really works.

I tried WEG 1.3.6 with 10.15.2 + Haswell + Intel HD Graphics 4600 + Radeon RX 580 + SMBIOS iMacPro1,1 and videoProc says that HEVC is ok ;)

However if I even navigate to Netflix.com in Safari my computer freezes hard.
Hi! Could you try using another Shiki boot arg combination ?

I tried WEG 1.3.6 with 10.15.2 + Haswell + Intel HD Graphics 4600 + Radeon RX 580 + SMBIOS iMacPro1,1 and videoProc says that HEVC is ok ;)

However if I even navigate to Netflix.com in Safari my computer freezes hard.
Maybe the SMBIOS isn’t the right one ?

As iMacPro1,1 model, FCPX encodes but seems to be in S/W using the CPU as the CPU frequency is Max'ed out.

So Catalina is a step backwards as far HEVC encode is concerned.

AMD HEVC encoder work fine with FCPX 10.4.6 + Compressor 4.4.4 not FCPX 10.4.7 + Compressor 4.4.5 and up, issue seems to be caused by Compressor 4.4.5, tested on Mojave and Cataline, get same result.

If want better AMD HEVC encoding and metal support, use Davinci Resolve instead.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-12-14 at 7.44.10 PM.png
    Screenshot 2019-12-14 at 7.44.10 PM.png
    1 MB · Views: 96
AMD HEVC encoder work fine with FCPX 10.4.6 + Compressor 4.4.4 not FCPX 10.4.7 + Compressor 4.4.5 and up, issue seems to be caused by Compressor 4.4.5, tested on Mojave and Cataline, get same result.

Thx. I did not keep FCPX 10.4.6. I upgraded to 10.4.8 assuming it had better AMD support (you can now select the GPU for rendering in FCPX Preferences). Also I'm using Compressor 4.4.6. I do have Compressor 4.4.4 so will try it with FCPX 10.4.8

If want better AMD HEVC encoding and metal support, use Davinci Resolve instead.
Another learning curve but I suppose it's free. Might give it a go.

VideoProc stating it's OK is not the same as actually doing a real encode.
Use VideoProc (or if you have FCPX) to encode a video clip to HEVC to check that it really works.
It seems to work since the conversion is done.
However VideoProc highlight only INTEL & CPU during conversion.
Also the graphic processor usage stays under 5%

Capture d’écran 2019-12-14 à 15.03.02.png

Capture d’écran 2019-12-14 à 15.05.31.png

Because of this I'm not sure VideoProc is using my RX580.

I tried encoding HEVC with Da Vinci, and this time it is working for sure. Here is my GPU usage during conversion:
Capture d’écran 2019-12-14 à 15.12.49.png

Last edited:
I tried encoding HEVC with Da Vinci, and this time it is working for sure. Here is my GPU usage during conversion:

High GPU utilisation on Davinci Resolve not equal to GVAHEVCEcoder is in use, when metal API is in use, GPU usage will be high, check VTEncoderXPCService utilisation with Activity Monitoring.app, value should below 30% if GVAHEVCEncoder is working properly.

If you use Videoproc to check the export (not only the green/red Info ;) ) dont forget to disable the Auto Copy option!
If source material - in case of Codec - is same as the export and AutoCopy is ON, the Export is an COPY PROCESS and not an real encoding job.
Bildschirmfoto 2019-12-14 um 15.21.54.jpg

PS: i made an usefull Menue Tool AMD GPU Menue which shows many values of the RX4xx/RX5xx cards. (only RX4xx/5xx - Not for Verga / RX 5xxx!)
You dont even need any Fakesmc Sensor plugin - the App gets the values all from the AMD driver itself.
Usefull to check load and temps of the GPU, also FAN etc.
Last but not least: The App also tells you by Value ENC: Yes or No if the GPU really does Encoding work.
Why may this is usefull?
Even the GPU does AMD HW ENC the GPU % load can stay really low!!! Only if the GPU does some Filterwork / Resize etc. the GPU load rises beside the HW Enc load.
Encoding: Yes /NO checks some AMD driver flags which show Encoding work . independed from gpu % load.

Bildschirmfoto 2019-12-14 um 15.30.58.jpg

Bildschirmfoto 2019-12-14 um 15.31.09.jpg
Click on the Menu to get Max Temp / MAx CLK since start or change update Rate or Quit
64 Bit Menue App Mojave testet / should run also with 10.16

Attachments

• AMD GPU Menue V0.7.app.zip
    7 MB · Views: 132
Last edited:
It seems to work since the conversion is done.
However VideoProc highlight only INTEL & CPU during conversion.
Also the graphic processor usage stays under 5%
Just as I suspected - It's not really using the AMD GPU.
I never found VideoProc to be reliable tool for validating which GPU would be used.

Last edited:
PS: i made an usefull Menue Tool AMD GPU Menue which shows many values of the RX4xx/RX5xx cards. (only RX4xx/5xx - Not for Verga / RX 5xxx!)
You dont even need any Fakesmc Sensor plugin - the App gets the values all from the AMD driver itself.
Usefull to check load and temps of the GPU, also FAN etc.
Last but not least: The App also tells you by Value ENC: Yes or No if the GPU really does Encoding work.
Why may this is usefull?
Even the GPU does AMD HW ENC the GPU % load can stay really low!!! Only if the GPU does some Filterwork / Resize etc. the GPU load rises beside the HW Enc load.
Encoding: Yes /NO checks some AMD driver flags which show Encoding work . independed from gpu % load.

View attachment 440412

View attachment 440413
Click on the Menu to get Max Temp / MAx CLK since start or change update Rate or Quit
64 Bit Menue App Mojave testet / should run also with 10.16
That's very useful tool.
Are you planning to release the sources on GitHub ?
The radeonMonitor.kext plugin for the FakeSMC.kext shows everything that your tool shows except the Encode state.
It would be great if you could add your Encode flag to that plugin :)
Screenshot 2019-12-14 at 15.08.22.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back