Contribute
Register

Radeon RX 4XX/5XX standalone system, AMDRadeonX4250.kext (GVA support H264) does not support HEVC HW

Status
Not open for further replies.
With this settings hardware encoding and decoding is working with the RX580, but Netflix on Safaris doesn't work.
If I switch to Smbios imacpro1,1 everything is working as well as Netflix on safari.

I've tried different smbios along with board id and shiki flags, but always get red screen playback when dummy kext is installed (on safari netflix and itunes stream). Even swapped RX 570 from my haswell system to make sure it wasn't the graphics card. Sapphire works perfect in haswell system, and Power Color Pulse RX 570 that was in haswell system and worked perfectly displays the exact same behavior in sandybridge system. I've tried about every configuration possible and am convinced that it is processor related.

I installed above kexts from beta 2 18F108f combo update dmg by Pacifist, select then right click, install to default location.
View attachment 402325
Reboot then run
sudo update_dyld_shared_cache -force
Maybe I wasn't clear: I've replaced the AMD drivers and the AppleGVA and AppleGVACore frameworks with the 10.14.5 beta 3 ones. The frameworks replacement broke iTunes movies playing. Rebuilding dyld cache did nothing to help.

If I only replace the multiple AMD kexts in S/L/E, no problems.

Do you mean that I have to use the beta 2 files instead??? I downloaded them from CMMChris here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...ans-ramp-up-down-rapidly.275228/#post-1942003

Thanks,

Patrice

Last edited:
Do you mean that I have to use the beta 2 files instead

Not sure, I use beta 2 kexts and AppleGVA, because it has better transcoding performance than beta 3 on DaVinci, not tested beta 3 kexts/AppleGVA on 10.14.4.

Not sure, I use beta 2 kexts and AppleGVA, because it has better transcoding performance than beta 3 on DaVinci, not tested beta 3 kexts/AppleGVA on 10.14.4.

iTunes DRM movies working with beta 2 frameworks? By your profile, it is an RX570? Which SMBIOS are you using? I should try with the RX560 instead of the RX580 maybe...

**EDIT: I see members CyCLoBoT and valvator have DRM working in beta 2 by switching to iMacPro 1,1 SMBIOS, correct?

Last edited:
iTunes DRM movies working with beta 2 frameworks? By your profile, it is an RX570? Which SMBIOS are you using? I should try with the RX560 instead of the RX580 maybe...

**EDIT: I see members CyCLoBoT and valvator have DRM working in beta 2 by switching to iMacPro 1,1 SMBIOS, correct?

RX570 + iMacPro1,1 + 10.14.4 with beta 2 AMD kexts/AppleGVA, without WEG, no dummy kext, Netflix not tested, no black screen on iTunes movie or trailer

So, next thing I should try: iMacPro SMBIOS. I think I'll wait for the official 10.14.5 build before making the switch.

Thanks for your help shuhung.

Hello shuhung,

Tried the replacement mentioned with 10.14.5 beta 3 bundles and kexts (AMD drivers and AppleGVA frameworks):

No more iTunes DRM movies working! Removed dummy141.kext, no difference. Tried HEVC10.14.1.kext, then Ellesmere.kext, no difference!

So at last, I've replaced the beta 3 AppleGVA frameworks with the 10.14.4 ones (without replacing the AMD drivers) and iTunes movies working again...?

This is with an MSI Radeon RX580 8g v1 and iMac 14,2 SMBIOS. Whatevergreen not tried as I remember it crashed iTunes when it was there (10.14.0 and 10.14.1). I also have an AMDRadeonEllesmereGVA.kext that I didn't tried...

What's up, I'm at lost!

Thanks,

Patrice
Thanks, You saved me!
I put all your kext in my CLOVER / Kext / Other
My CPU is calm now for 4K video play backs!

Thanks, You saved me!
I put all your kext in my CLOVER / Kext / Other
My CPU is calm now for 4K video play backs!
Try each one separately to see which one solves your problem. They are not meant to be used together usually.

@shuhung: why the dummy kext isn't working anymore with 10.14.5 beta 3 and the AppleGVA frameworks? Could it be modified in some way to prevent the replacement with 10.14.4 frameworks and iMac 14,2 SMBIOS?

Thanks,

Patrice

why the dummy kext isn't working anymore with 10.14.5 beta 3 and the AppleGVA frameworks?

It work but meaningless, IOGVA already enabled by Radeon kexts on 10.14.5 beta 2 up, no relevant to AppleGVA.framework.

Could it be modified in some way to prevent the replacement with 10.14.4 frameworks and iMac 14,2 SMBIOS?

You can replace AMD kexts from beta 2/3 and skip AppleGVA, replaced AppleGVA from beta 2, because it match beta 2 AMD kexts, have better transcoding performane on Davinci than without AppleGVA replacement, work very well for R3 + RX570 + 10.14.4 + iMacPro1,1.

SMBIOS iMacPro1,1 should work well with HSW/SKL/KBL, but is the bad choice for SNB and IVY.

I don't use SMBIOS iMac14.2 on Mojave, no advantage for me, no comment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back