Contribute
Register

Radeon RX 4XX/5XX standalone system, AMDRadeonX4250.kext (GVA support H264) does not support HEVC HW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Odd, I've the glitches when use skikigva=32 shiki-id=<<imacpro1,1 board-id>>. Did you compare your config with that I've posted earlier (see post #715).

Did you tried using SMBIOS from a iMacPro1,1?

Other info: I'm using the version 1.2.6.RELEASE for Whatevergreen, and 1.3.1.RELEASE for LiLu.
Yeah, i have same params as you posted. When i use skikigva=32 shiki-id=<<imacpro1,1 board-id>> i have same glitches (sometimes green artifacts) as when I'm using iMac15,1 with AppleGVA/Info.plist edits. Strange.

EDIT: I was wrong. There are glitches even when i import another media codecs to FCPX project, not only h264.
familygw, do you really dont have any green artifacts when exporting from FCPX to h264? They're just somewhere...

Last edited:
hello,shuhung,my smbios is iMac pro 1,1, with Sapphire NITRO+ RX 470 but without iGpu, how should i do to enable the h265/h264 HW encoding and decoding in 10.14.4 beta, dummy141+whatevergreen? and any patch is needed?

hello,shuhung,my smbios is iMac pro 1,1, with Sapphire NITRO+ RX 470 but without iGpu, how should i do to enable the h265/h264 HW encoding and decoding in 10.14.4 beta, dummy141+whatevergreen? and any patch is needed?

SMBIOS iMacPro1,1 + dummy141 OK, with or without WEG no relevant.

Pls notice that export H264 still have green artifacts issue on 10.14.4 beta2.

Last edited:
I'm having a lot of success with 10.14.4-beta2 so far.

Configuration:
  • iGPU: enabled (platform-id 0x3E910003)
  • Discrete GPU: Radeon RX 580 (Sapphire NITRO+ 8GB)
  • CPU: i5-9600K (Coffee Lake)
  • SMBIOS: iMacPro1,1
  • Shiki flags: none
  • AppleGVA/Info.plist modifications: none
  • Kexts: dummy141, Lilu, NoVPAJpeg, WhateverGreen
  • Netflix on Safari: OK
  • Hulu on Safari: OK
  • iTunes DRM Streaming: not tested
  • FCPX: stable
  • VideoProc: stable
  • System: stable
You are having lot of success BUT you are still have IGPU enabled with iMacPro1,1.
Check the IGPU & RX580 loading while encoding H.264 to HEVC, H.264 to H.264 and HEVC to H.264.
That is, is it really using the RX580 or IGPU or BOTH ???

IGPU enabled with iMacPro1,1.

In theory, SMBIOS iMacPro1,1 has no “forceOfflineRenderer=Yes” parameter in AppleGVA info.plist, when DGPU is set to primary, it should always work as primary video renderer and IQSV will not function even IGPU is enabled in BIOS, equal to IGPU is enabled but offline / not in use.

Hi, first many thanks to all for this great info you are putting out!

I'm new top hackintosh world, but having need for final cut I've installed few OSs in last 2 months and play with it for a while.

So now I have 10.4.4, more or less standard kexts + dummy141.kext (trying with shiki also)
only in iMacPro1,1 hardware encoding is working in FCP, but have green artefacts.

Mojave 10.14.4 beta 2 (18E184e) looks better.
For my system, if I use SMBIOS iMacPro1,1 or with the bootarg shiki-id, or copying/replacing the params from this to iMac15,1 the system freezes randomly using FCPX. Export works but with issues/glitches.

Injecting the param 'hwe420' directly into /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/AppleGVA.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Info.plist, for my board-id (iMac15,1), the system become more stable and the export from FCPX have no glitches.

Stable configuration:
  • No iGPU enabled.
  • Only discrete GPU enabled, Radeon RX580.
  • CPU i7 4970K.
  • Netflix on Safari: OK
  • iTunes DRM Streaming: OK
  • FCPX: Stable
  • VideoProc: Stable
  • AppleGVA/Info.plist config:
Code:
<key>Mac-42FD25EABCABB274</key>
<dict>
    <key>burstSize</key>
    <integer>4</integer>
    <key>facetimeDecode</key>
    <true/>
    <key>forceOfflineRenderer</key>
    <true/>
    <key>hwe</key>
    <true/>
    <key>hweBGRA</key>
    <true/>
    <key>hwe420<key>
    <true/>
    <key>ke1</key>
    <true/>
    <key>pp</key>
    <integer>1</integer>
</dict>

I've tried your solution(with many other SMBIOSs as well), but it won't event start exporting the file and reporting error. Also I can see that HW encoding isn't working. Do I need to use shiki or/and some boot args with that SMBIOS?

I would just like to add, that I've also tried FCP 10.3.4(currently having 10.4.5) and it even failed to export, but exported in ProRes with no problems, but slower than 10.4.5

I've also tried bunch of combinations with different SMBIOS and disabling enabling this and that, nothing worked...

So in the end, I think will buy CPU with iGPU and replace my xeon and enable quicksync for h.264 export/encode and use RX580 for rendering(which is working great and very fast). I figure, after each update there might be some problems with AMD encoding support, so QS i working good enough to be bothering with that constantly, figuring out how to enable it and then fighting glitches and artefacts, it is just not worth it.

Little bit off topic, is 4790K worth over 4770 on H97 MBO(so no OC) in terms of speed gains in FCP rendering + H.264 exporting/encoding, decoding and overall performance considering they have same iGPU?

So now I have 10.4.4, more or less standard kexts + dummy141.kext (trying with shiki also)
only in iMacPro1,1 hardware encoding is working in FCP, but have green artefacts.

This is with beta 3?

Just a note, my RX 560 got very high fan speed wake from sleep while using the GPU hard, the problem has been fixed. see post : #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back