Contribute
Register

Radeon RX 4XX/5XX standalone system, AMDRadeonX4250.kext (GVA support H264) does not support HEVC HW

Status
Not open for further replies.
If VTDecoderXPCService show VCPHEVC then it is software HEVC decode, see attached png.
Are you sure ?
If so, then your 1st png also shows VCPHEVC which implies s/w decode as well ?

Are you sure ?
If so, then you png also shows VCPHEVC which implies s/w decode as well ?

Yes, I remove x4250.kext from clover folder, AMD HW HEVC decode is disabled then VCPHEVC will show up in VTDecoderXPCService, after restore the X4250.kext and it become AppleGVAHEVCDecoder.

Edit: After repeat testing, found that HW and SW HEVC decode can work together in QuickTime , others 4K HEVC video playback only show AppleGVAHEVCDecoder without VCPHEVC.

Edit: upgrade to 10.13.3 beta, VCPHEVC no longer show up while playback a high bitrate 75.8 Mbps HEVC 4K@60 10 bit HDR video clip at QuickTime.

Attachments

• IINA HEVC playback.png
    IINA HEVC playback.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 835
Last edited:
No IQSV, IGPU is disabled just use RX460, very good power consumption during high bitrate HEVC video playback, better than HD630.

Your png show IQSV is working, GT frequency round 0.4 GHz during high bitrate HEVC playback is normal, but CPU PM seems to be not implement correctly.

I switched to iGPU disabled and I do see lower power consumption and smoother playback during the very start decoding. I think I will stick with this config.

Having the iGPU enabled as well would help me how? Encoding HEVC?

I tried using Mac X Video Converter Pro to encode a 4k h264 to a 4k HEVC file and it took the same amount of time with iGPU enabled / disabled as it did with hardware encoder enabled / disabled.

Maybe this is not the best way hardware encoding?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-12-13 at 5.15.21 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-12-13 at 5.15.21 PM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 447
I switched to iGPU disabled and I do see lower power consumption and smoother playback during the very start decoding. I think I will stick with this config.

Having the iGPU enabled as well would help me how? Encoding HEVC?

I tried using Mac X Video Converter Pro to encode a 4k h264 to a 4k HEVC file and it took the same amount of time with iGPU enabled / disabled as it did with hardware encoder enabled / disabled.

Maybe this is not the best way hardware encoding?

Yes, for HW video encode, enable IQSV is the best, AMD VDADecoder will be auto disabled.

Currently, IQSV encode is much better than AMD HW encode, HW HEVC encode need apps support, main problem is apps do not know how to implement AMD HW encoder.

Yes, for HW video encode, enable IQSV is the best, AMD VDADecoder will be auto disabled.

Currently, IQSV encode is much better than AMD HW encode, HW HEVC encode need apps support, main problem is apps do not know how to implement AMD HW encoder.

Question. I just noticed that using just the RX560 I was not able to do screen recording in QT Player or export h264 with FCPX. However, when I enabled the iGPU with the 560 everything worked. Have you seen the same?

:rolleyes:
Question. I just noticed that using just the RX560 I was not able to do screen recording in QT Player or export h264 with FCPX. However, when I enabled the iGPU with the 560 everything worked. Have you seen the same?

Yes, same.
Most of time I disable IQSV for better power consumption, only enable it when need HW encoding.

Yes, I remove x4250.kext from clover folder, AMD HW HEVC decode is disabled then VCPHEVC will show up in VTDecoderXPCService, after restore the X4250.kext and it become AppleGVAHEVCDecoder.

Edit: After repeat testing, found that HW and SW HEVC decode can work together in QuickTime , others 4K HEVC video playback only show AppleGVAHEVCDecoder without VCPHEVC.

Edit: upgrade to 10.13.3 beta, VCPHEVC no longer show up while playback a high bitrate 75.8 Mbps HEVC 4K@60 10 bit HDR video clip at QuickTime.

Just does not work. With X4250.kext, Quicktime is still using the 3770K CPU to play the HEVC Sony sample (IGPU is disable in the BIOS).

Just does not work. With X4250.kext, Quicktime is still using the 3770K CPU to play the HEVC Sony sample (IGPU is disable in the BIOS).

Try temporary disable shiki, then clear DRM and GVA config, rebuild dyld_shared_cache, as below.

defaults delete com.apple.coremedia
defaults delete com.apple.AppleGVA
sudo rm -rf /Users/Shared/SC\ Info
sudo defaults delete com.apple.coremedia
sudo defaults delete com.apple.AppleGVA
sudo update_dyld_shared_cache -force

Then re-enable shiki and reboot.

I use above method in 10.13.2, no VCPHEVC show up while high bitrate 4k@60 HDR HEVC playback, only AMD HEVC decoding. See sony2 png without IGPU

If IGPU can not disabled in BIOS, then use shikigva=1, it will disable IGPU GVA in dual GPU system. See result in sony1 png with disabled IGPU

See attached pngs. Both VTDecoderXPCService CPU usage show up round 10%

Attachments

• sony1 hevc hdr.png
    sony1 hevc hdr.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 584
  • sony2 hevc HDR .png
    sony2 hevc HDR .png
    1.4 MB · Views: 628
Try temporary disable shiki, then clear DRM and GVA config, rebuild dyld_shared_cache, as below.

I do not use Shiki.
But I cleared the caches and installed Shiki (for testing) and rebooted.
Same. The AMD GPU is not used and CPU load goes to 270% and I see VCPHEVC.

I enabled IGPU in BIOS. No difference.

I use iMac13,2 model number as it the closest match for my motherboard and CPU.
What SMBIOS model number do you use ?
And, why do you use Shiki ?

I do not use Shiki.
But I cleared the caches and installed Shiki (for testing) and rebooted.
Same. The AMD GPU is not used and CPU load goes to 270% and I see VCPHEVC.

I enabled IGPU in BIOS. No difference.

I use iMac13,2 model number as it the closest match for my motherboard and CPU.
What SMBIOS model number do you use ?
And, why do you use Shiki ?

No AppleGVAHEVCDecoder show in VTDecoderXPCService, means dummy x4250.kext injection is failed.

Need shiki to run iTunes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back