Contribute
Register

Radeon RX 4XX/5XX standalone system, AMDRadeonX4250.kext (GVA support H264) does not support HEVC HW

Status
Not open for further replies.
You tried to delete your dummy kext? Maybe you didnt Need this kext. While your IGPU is newer and can handle the Codecs
FCPX works if I don't have the dummy kext, however, it doesn't seem like it's using quickSync hardware acceleration, and airplay doesn't work. So I can either have FCPX rendering or AirPlay working, but not both.

10.14.5 Beta 2 now has native Encoding support for RX4xx and RX5xx cards. Works fine according to reports over at a German forum. You guys can look forward to the final release. ;)
If you want to try the Public Beta make sure to use iMacPro1,1 with disabled IGPU (in BIOS) and remove the dummy kext as well as any shiki boot args you previously used.

10.14.5 Beta 2 now has native Encoding support for RX4xx and RX5xx cards. Works fine according to reports over at a German forum. You guys can look forward to the final release. ;)
If you want to try the Public Beta make sure to use iMacPro1,1 with disabled IGPU (in BIOS) and remove the dummy kext as well as any shiki boot args you previously used.

Seem to work on software decoding.... hmmm. iMac 19,2.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-04-10 at 3.12.42 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-04-10 at 3.12.42 AM.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 155
Last edited:
NOT correct advice.
WITHOUT the dummy kext, the RX4XX/RX5XX will not be utilised and you will only get Intel Quicksync/Software encode/decode which is fine and will work. BUT, that's the not the purpose of this thread here (which is to try and use the AMD GPU for encode/decode).

Not correct. When I export with FCPX both gpus are working, did test with only IGPU enabled and IGPU + DGPU on exporting, the fastest was with both enabled.

@mattystonnie What do you mean? It's using the AMD accelerators. Check RadeonX4000.kext info.plist. Video acceleration is natively supported. IGPU needs to be disabled if you want to use the AMD hardware encoder, otherwise macOS will default to the IGPU.

In FCPX (iMac 19,2) mac os is using both encoders (iGPU+dGPU). The only way to use AMD hardware encoder is SMBios iMac PRO and disable IGPU. On my iMac 19,2 with only DGPU enabled I see SW encoding no HW enc. I’ll post tests later.

It does not. There is no way to use two encoders at the same time. It either uses IGPU or DGPU. As I said, IGPU is default for encoding if present. The only thing macOS can do is to use the DGPU Decoder + IGPU Encoder at the same time, which is what happens when both Accelerators are present. That's why you will see load on both GPUs while converting or exporting videos.

However, as I said, Encoding always happens on the IGPU if it is enabled - no matter which SMBIOS used. This can easily be verified by comparing export times.

How do you explain that the export times are faster with IGPU+DGPU compared with only IGPU enabled?
I will do tests and show the difference.

Ahhh you joined 2018....

I did a lot of testing on this and IGPU disabled always is faster than IGPU enabled, given that DGPU Encoding works properly and correct AppleGVA configuration is set (iMacPro1,1).

Example:

Vega 64 Standalone
Source 4k60 (1:47)
H.264 to H.265: 1:30 Minutes
H.265 to H.264: 1:56 Minutes

Vega 64 + IGPU (Quick Sync)
Source 4k60 (1:47)
H.264 to H.265: 3:05 Minutes
H.265 to H.264: 2:25 Minutes

What does my registration date have to do with the matter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back