Contribute
Register

Radeon RX 4XX/5XX standalone system, AMDRadeonX4250.kext (GVA support H264) does not support HEVC HW

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900KS
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Pro
  4. Mac mini
  5. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Classic
  2. iBook
  3. Power Mac
  4. PowerBook
  5. Quadra
  6. SE/30
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Not sure about spoofing CPU or the need to do that.
There are plenty of folks here with a 9900KS cpu.
You have set your model id to iMacPro1,1.
That system does NOT have an IGPU.

My aging 3770K does have an IGPU BUT I turn it off in the BIOS and use iMacPro1,1.
That's is the only way I can get FCPX (10.4.6) to use the RX580 for encode and decode oh H.264 & HEVC.

VideoProc is a strange one. I get it to work even though it says "Graphics N/A":
View attachment 465466
It actually works pretty well in using the RX580 in transcoding H.264 to HEVC and HEVC to H.264.

See these :
View attachment 465467View attachment 465468

Regarding your config, it's looks like you are NOT using Whatevergreen.kext.
I now use it. It takes care of a lot of issues - Black Screen patch, correct number of video ports, ACPI renaming (GFX0,IGPU,etc), GPU power management just to name a few. If you had an IGPU, it takes of connector-less framebuffers, etc.
Can't tell from your config if you have turned off your IGPU but you may want to try that with iMacPro1,1 model-id you are using.

You have a great CPU so may wish to consider using iMac19,1 that closely matches your system and the IGPU of that CPU is pretty decent for H.264 & HEVC encode/decode too.

Okay, thanks. I'm already using iMP and WEG, etc. I am very pleased with how well FCPX, Compressor, Motion, Resolve, LR6, and CS6 all employ the RX580. The issue was with VideoProc itself. Unless they've updated their software to support MAcOS and AMD, the problem was/is this:

sales@winxdvd.com wrote:
Dear customer,

Thanks for contacting us.
I contacted our develop team and the Mac do does not suppport AMD GPU for hardware acceleration at present. And we will add this feature in the near future.
Will you accept a half refund and keep the full version for future use?
Please let us know if we could be of any further assistance.

o_O
[1] I paid for two licenses.
[2] It didn't work as advertised.
[3] They only wanted to refund to me half of what I paid.

Conclusion: VideoProc is fine for showing whether hardware acceleration can work in supported software. It just doesn't use the GPU for its own tasks. Run an export from FCPX to Compressor and one will see that the right setup works well. But not VideoProc.

Attachments

• HW Info.png
    HW Info.png
    91.8 KB · Views: 262
  • VideoProc_during decode.png
    VideoProc_during decode.png
    190.3 KB · Views: 264
  • AMD GPU is not employed in VideoProc decoding process.png
    AMD GPU is not employed in VideoProc decoding process.png
    69 KB · Views: 276
Last edited:
Motherboard
GA-Z77X-UP5-TH
CPU
i7-3770K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Okay, thanks. I'm already using iMP and WEG, etc. I am very pleased with how well FCPX, Compressor, Motion, Resolve, LR6, and CS6 all employ the RX580. The issue was with VideoProc itself. Unless they've updated their software to support MAcOS and AMD, the problem was/is this:

sales@winxdvd.com wrote:
Dear customer,

Thanks for contacting us.
I contacted our develop team and the Mac do does not suppport AMD GPU for hardware acceleration at present.
And we will add this feature in the near future.
Will you accept a half refund and keep the full version for future use?
Please let us know if we could be of any further assistance.

So, I paid for two licenses. It didn't work as advertised. But they only wanted to refund me half of what I paid. Hmm.
So, VideoProc is fine for showing whether hardware acceleration can work in supported software. It just doesn't use the GPU for its own tasks. Run an export in FCPX to Compressor and one will see that the right setup works well.
Just not VideoProc.
I know that my screenshot you have shown does indicate that INTEL is being employed and not the GPU.
BUT in reality it is NOT. There's NO way my 3rd Gen CPU can transcode even HEVC or H264 source that quickly. Besides, look at IPG tool, iStat and that AMD Monitor App which shows that the CPU is almost IDLE and that the AMD GPU is busy Decoding AND Encoding. Also, note that it shows "INTEL" as green and NOT the CPU which it is indicating that it thinks it is using the IGPU.

I think it's the bug they refer to when they say "does not support AMG GPU" by which they mean it does not display that the AMD GPU is actually being utilised ? That is, they cannot distinguish which GPU is being utilised.

Have you tried turning OFF your IGPU and test ?

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900KS
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Pro
  4. Mac mini
  5. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Classic
  2. iBook
  3. Power Mac
  4. PowerBook
  5. Quadra
  6. SE/30
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I know that my screenshot you have shown does indicate that INTEL is being employed and not the GPU.
BUT in reality it is NOT. There's NO way my 3rd Gen CPU can transcode even HEVC or H264 source that quickly. Besides, look at IPG tool, iStat and that AMD Monitor App which shows that the CPU is almost IDLE and that the AMD GPU is busy Decoding AND Encoding. Also, note that it shows "INTEL" as green and NOT the CPU which it is indicating that it thinks it is using the IGPU.

I think it's the bug they refer to when they say "does not support AMG GPU" by which they mean it does not display that the AMD GPU is actually being utilised ? That is, they cannot distinguish which GPU is being utilised.

Have you tried turning OFF your IGPU and test ?

Thanks, and yep, the iGPU is off (iMP definitions, etc.) Would, you mind running a (Disc decode to .ISO test) with just VideoProc and "Activity Monitor" running with the main viewer, CPU usage, GPU History windows up front? I'd really like to know if it's a UI issue or something else. FWIW, the blue text in italics was from Digiarty tech support.

Attachments

• Kind of like this.png
    Kind of like this.png
    199.5 KB · Views: 106
  • IPG_No iGPU.png
    IPG_No iGPU.png
    48 KB · Views: 44
Motherboard
GA-Z77X-UP5-TH
CPU
i7-3770K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Thanks, and yep, the iGPU is off (iMP definitions, etc.) Would, you mind running a (Disc decode to .ISO test) with just VideoProc and "Activity Monitor" running with the main viewer, CPU usage, GPU History windows up front? I'd really like to know if it's a UI issue or something else. FWIW, the blue text in italics was from Digiarty tech support.
OMG - had to go into the attic to find a DVD and a DVD drive :lol:
Both CPU & GPU utilisation very low though it seems to be converting.
FPS is shown as ~600.
I don't think it's a GUI problem.

See:
Screenshot 2020-04-30 at 19.44.16.png
Screenshot 2020-04-30 at 19.52.27.png

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900KS
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Pro
  4. Mac mini
  5. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Classic
  2. iBook
  3. Power Mac
  4. PowerBook
  5. Quadra
  6. SE/30
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
OMG - had to go into the attic to find a DVD and a DVD drive :lol:
Both CPU & GPU utilisation very low though it seems to be converting.
FPS is shown as ~600.
I don't think it's a GUI problem.

I know! It's nuts. :lol: I told them to email me when that feature is GPU supported. In the meantime, it's all Handbrake or Compressor. Has anyone out there tested one of these builds with the latest Media Composer? FWIW, I'm on Mojave on my 9900KS build 4-evah...

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 7
CPU
Intel Core i7-4770k
Graphics
Sapphire Pulse RX570 4GB
So I recently upgraded to 10.15.4 From Mojave and Installed Final Cut Pro's Latest Version. Unfortunately, It is very glitchy with 4k Footage and even VLC Player cannot play it. It works in Quicktime though, Following are my system specifications

Intel i7-4770K

Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 7 Motherboard

16GB (2x8GB) GSKill Ripjaws DDR3

Sapphire Pulse RX570 4GB

I am using Clover Bootloader, I have iGPU Off, SMBIOS is set to Mac Pro(For DRM Issues) and I have latest Lilu/WEG Installed. Can anyone help me because even iMovie works perfectly but Final Cut/VLC are glitchy as hell! Some 4k hevc files are working fine but some others are not
Thank You

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH
CPU
i7-3770K
Graphics
GTX 750 Ti
Ideally yes.
But you can use other SMBIOS's.
For example, on my Ivy Bridge (i7-3770K) on Z77 chipset, I use iMacPro1,1 with CPUFriend kext and get fairly reasonable power management. I disable the IGPU.
It's not perfect but I can achieve HEVC encode and decode using the RX580 and very little CPU load when funning FCPX.

Hi, I'm fighting with hardware acceleration with my rx 580 as well. Turns out I have the exact same setup as you...any chance you'd share your efi folder? :)

Motherboard
GA-Z390 AORUS PRO WIFI
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
So I recently upgraded to 10.15.4 From Mojave and Installed Final Cut Pro's Latest Version. Unfortunately, It is very glitchy with 4k Footage and even VLC Player cannot play it. It works in Quicktime though, Following are my system specifications

Intel i7-4770K

Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 7 Motherboard

16GB (2x8GB) GSKill Ripjaws DDR3

Sapphire Pulse RX570 4GB

I am using Clover Bootloader, I have iGPU Off, SMBIOS is set to Mac Pro(For DRM Issues) and I have latest Lilu/WEG Installed. Can anyone help me because even iMovie works perfectly but Final Cut/VLC are glitchy as hell! Some 4k hevc files are working fine but some others are not
Thank You

Hi!, I've a system similar to you.
Check my EFI configuration (I'm using OpenCore instead Clover).

Geekbench 4 results: avg 138K OpenCL / avg 116K Metal
DRM: Safari OK (Netflix without issues), Music, Apple TV, etc. OK.
AirPlay: OK
HVEC: OK
H.264: OK
FCPX: No issues
USB: OK

Captura de Pantalla 2020-05-13 a la(s) 23.33.17.png
Captura de Pantalla 2020-05-13 a la(s) 23.33.50.png

My video card is a Gigabyte Radeon RX 580 G1 with 8GB, and I'm spoofing the ATY,Part/ATY,Card/ATY,Rom/Vendor/Device in conjunction with WEG (I include a copy from config.plist file with these configs, check the file config-with-vga-config.plist); I heard that the Sapphire are natively recognised by macOS (plus WEG), so maybe you'll not need it.

For better results, use the iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS (I've included these configuration in the attached zip).

Hope this helps you!

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    3.3 MB · Views: 130
Motherboard
GA-Z77X-UP5-TH
CPU
i7-3770K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hi, I'm fighting with hardware acceleration with my rx 580 as well. Turns out I have the exact same setup as you...any chance you'd share your efi folder? :)

Depends on what you define as "hardware acceleration".
RX580 GUI hardware acceleration works fine.
RX580 "Rendering" in Apps video editors such FCPX works fine.
RX580 HEVC and H.264 decoding & encoding "requires some effort".

Then, there are App issues. Latest version of FCPX (10.4.8) screwed up HEVC Encode on RX580 on Catalina.
FCPX 10.4.6 on Mojave seems to be the most stable workable FCPX platform.
Others have said DaVinci Resolve works well for both HEVC & H.264 encode & decode on RX580.

Regarding my EFI, I have now moved to OpenCore Release 0.5.8 (attached).
Warning: if you do not know what is OpenCore, you have a lot of reading to do (good luck).

NOTE:
I turn OFF the IGPU in BIOS.
I use iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS (one of the "requires some effort" puzzle pieces).
I have a modded BIOS that has an NVMe EFI driver added (so that I can use an NVMe drive in a PCIe adapter).

Attachments

• MacNB-Z77X-UP5-OC.ZIP
    4.8 MB · Views: 93
Motherboard
HP 8300, MacMini6,1
CPU
i5-3570K, i5-3470, i5-3210, G5
Graphics
RX570, RX560, GT730K, HD4000
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac

familygw and macnb,

Thank you for posting your OpenCore configurations. I think we're chomping at the bit
in here, waiting for Sniki's new version. I'm also using Opencore 0.5.8 and looked through
your configurations.

I didn't see any of the patches equivalent to fix HPET from use of CorpNewt's SSDTTime.
Do you think those are not necessary?

Also, I noticed that you're using FakeSMC instead of VirtualSMC. Is that just for the sensors,
or did you find some other benefit? It seems like VirtualSMC is the only one supported as
we go forward.

Thanks again for any comments you may have.

Lisa