Contribute
Register

Radeon RX 4XX/5XX standalone system, AMDRadeonX4250.kext (GVA support H264) does not support HEVC HW

Motherboard
Asus Z390-i
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
Radeon RX580
Mac
iMac, MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
I have an ASUS Z390and an i7-8700K. I'm using iMac 19,1 in SMBIOS (speed step is fine from 1.6 to 5ghz) and Clover.
I jumped from Catalina 10.15.1 to 10.15.3
I force ATI DGPU use with "defaults write com.apple.AppleGVA gvaForceAMDKE -boolean yes" and "defaults write com.apple.AppleGVA gvaForceAMDHEVCDecode -boolean yes"
I checked using console Log + monitor + intel's gadget

I tested using FCPX and handbrake: H264 encoding and decoding are using AMD GPU only
For HEVC encoding FCPX is using both Intel IGPU + AMD DGPU

Everything is not better as when I try to read H265 10 bits 4K 60 FPS content (like SAMSUNG demo) with players (like Elmedia) it is random :

sometimes the AMD GPU + CPU is used and it is stuttered as CPU it is closed to 100%
sometimes AMD GPU only is used (CPU remains to 90% idle) -> perfect playing

with VLC screen remains black (!)
with IINA CPU is always used

I didn't test iMac Pro value in SMBIOS, do you think it worth it ? I read in this post someone has had better results with ImcPro1,1 value, I didn't understand why as IGPU is supposed to be very fast (but not the best in quality)

So far both H264/H265 is working with imac19,1 in SMBIOS in Catalina 10.5.3, no need of dummy kext

Motherboard
GA-Z77X-UD5H
CPU
i7-3770K OC 4.6GHz
Graphics
GTX 660 Ti
Mac
iMac
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS
I'm surprised that you believe your Ivy Bridge CPU power management is working with any help except for PlugInType=1 for iMacPro1,1 model ID. Have you checked that the SpeedStep P-States switch actually step across the whole range using Hackintool ? Also have you checked the CPU power consumption and average speed during idle which ?
@macnb
Thanks for the CPUfriend.kext tips, i switched from imac13,2 to imacPro1,1 now HEVC is fine (10.15.3)
Like @mitch_de i use only PlugInType=1 and KernelXCPM ticked in Clover configurator.
All my P-states shows up in Hackintool.
https://github.com/al3xtjames/Gigabyte-GA-Z77X-macOS-Install/issues/77#issuecomment-386847691
is it really necessary to generate an ssdtPRGen.sh if KernelXCPM is working?