Contribute
Register

Radeon RX 4XX/5XX standalone system, AMDRadeonX4250.kext (GVA support H264) does not support HEVC HW

Status
Not open for further replies.
That would be a shame as they use variants of those GPU's in their MacbookPro's.
It would be interesting to examine the IOREG of those real MacBookPro14,3

I think, it is not necessary to examine the IOREG of those real MacBookPro14,3.
See below AppleGVA info.plist, MacBookPro14,3 Mac-551B86E5744E2388.
upload_2018-3-23_6-28-15.png

No key forceOfflineRenderer means that use online renderer, MacBookPro14,3 display is connected to IGPU and boot up as primary, IGPU is online renderer therefore no key forceOfflineRenderer.

No key forceBoostOff (required for Nvidia) means that DGPU not Nvidia should be AMD or Intel standalone.

In above condition, IGPU is primary and DGPU should work as co-gpu, therefore AMD GVA not used in MacBookPro14,3.

Does HEVC HW decode can work with Intel HD530 ? (video playback)

At the moment I've my RX460 managed to work with H.264 on FPCX and if possible I'd like to use iGPU ( connector-less statement ) to hw decode h.265 video playback.

Does HEVC HW decode can work with Intel HD530 ? (video playback)

At the moment I've my RX460 managed to work with H.264 on FPCX and if possible I'd like to use iGPU ( connector-less statement ) to hw decode h.265 video playback.

HD530 only support HEVC 8 bit HW decoding, HW decoding work in FCPX, no other required.

In above condition, IGPU is primary and DGPU should work as co-gpu, therefore AMD GVA not used in MacBookPro14,3.
Why have a DPGU and not use it ? Surely apple would not design & add an expensive part and use it heat up the room :crazy:
That does not make sense as all the reviews of MBP14,3 rated it highly for FCPX rendering & encoding.

Why have a DPGU and not use it ? Surely apple would not design & add an expensive part and use it heat up the room :crazy:
That does not make sense as all the reviews of MBP14,3 rated it highly for FCPX rendering & encoding.

I think Apple should use IGPU for H264 rendering, RX GPU should function as co-gpu, OpenCL and Metal should work together with IGPU in FCPX, also it can connect to external 5K monitor easier for FCPX video editing.

I should test SMBIOS MBP14,3, IGPU as primary and RX460 as co-gpu, run FCPX for HEVC test, since I do not need IQSV, my HD630 has moved to another Hack, now RX460 is work with Pentium G4560 can not use as primary, I think will run above test on next week.

Now I start to re-test SMBIOS MacPro6,1.

Last edited:
You may get me wrong. Does OpenCL performance drop only occur on AMD RX 4xx/RX 5xx, since Mac Pros use D500 or D600 instead.

Just re-test SMBIOS MacPro6,1, rename PEGP to GFX2 to match AGDP & AGPM, no OpenCL performance drop after video playback but no HW 264 and HEVC acceleration.

Now re-test SMBIOS MacPro5,1.

I had the same issue with my i7-3770K and solved the problem by enabling IGPU with connector-less ig-platform-id 0x1620007.
Now in Geekbench 4 & lexmark scores are always stable and I can share movies as H.264 from FCPX & iMovie.
Side-effect is that I CANNOT share videos as HECV 8-bit from FCPX (not available option). HEVC 10-bit option is available but uses the CPU and takes a looooong time.
As I do not yet use HEVC, this is not a problem.

So to use H.264 with FCPX, you need IGPU.
Somehow, the real iMacPro (with Xeon's) that does NOT have an IGPU manages to do this without problems - I wonder how ?

I had the same issue with my i7-3770K and solved the problem by enabling IGPU with connector-less ig-platform-id 0x1620007.
Now in Geekbench 4 & lexmark scores are always stable and I can share movies as H.264 from FCPX & iMovie.
Side-effect is that I CANNOT share videos as HECV 8-bit from FCPX (not available option). HEVC 10-bit option is available but uses the CPU and takes a looooong time.
As I do not yet use HEVC, this is not a problem.

So to use H.264 with FCPX, you need IGPU.
Somehow, the real iMacPro (with Xeon's) that does NOT have an IGPU manages to do this without problems - I wonder how ?

Mac pro looks like the same problem https://macperformanceguide.com/blog/2014/20140729_2045-H264-video-compression.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back