Contribute
Register

Radeon RX 4XX/5XX standalone system, AMDRadeonX4250.kext (GVA support H264) does not support HEVC HW

Motherboard
MSI Z270 M7
CPU
i7-7700K
Graphics
GTX 1070
Mobile Phone
iOS
For my 3770k build, I am trying iMac Pro SMBIOS. Everything is working (iTunes DRM, quick view, HW acceleration in videoproc for H264 and HEVC) except for FCPX. I have an error when exporting to any video format (sharing operation) :

Capture d’écran 2019-05-16 à 20.08.23.png

Any idea ?
Thanks.

EDIT : works, bad video file with corrupt frame

Last edited:
Motherboard
Asork Z370
CPU
i5 8600
Graphics
Here is probably why HEVC does not work on SMBIOS other than MacPro and Mac Pro in 10.14.5:

I can try to patch AppleGVA if someone is interested and then if it works make patch for Lilu.

Motherboard
GA Z97X-UD3H
CPU
i7 4790
Graphics
RX 580
HEVC work fine and Netflix on Safari work perfectly, use SMBIOS iMacPro1,1
@Neo-matrix too:
For me, iMacPro 1,1 kind of work (to restore iTunes DRM playing, and could probably also work for Netflix): loss of one of my display using "InjectATI", "RadeonDeInit", "Dayman" (with framebuffer patch) with RX560 or RX580. If I try WEG without the aforementioned settings, one of my displays flash each 10 seconds.

The only working solution for me is to keep the iMac 14,2 SMBIOS without WEG and with the previous graphics settings ("InjectATI", etc...) and restore AppleGVA.framework from 10.14.4. Dummy141.kext isn't working anymore to prevent replacement of GVA framework. Not a big deal I guess. I would probably need to keep the 10.14.4 framework with 10.14.6 I would also guess.

And obviously, cute little purple lines at the boot screen before the "white flash", as already experienced in the betas.

Motherboard
GA Z97X-UD3H
CPU
i7 4790
Graphics
RX 580
Here is probably why HEVC does not work on SMBIOS other than MacPro and Mac Pro in 10.14.5:

I can try to patch AppleGVA if someone is interested and then if it works make patch for Lilu.
Yes, I'm interested if you could patch AppleGVA.

Thanks,

Patrice

**Oh, and where did you find this snippet of code, curious mind inquiring?

Motherboard
Asork Z370
CPU
i5 8600
Graphics
Try this only on test machine. I only guessing what might be wrong. I'm not gonna debug it to see what really going on because that requires setting up VM and I don't have time for that.

You probably need to fix signature:

Code:
sudo codesign -f -s - /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/AppleGVA.framework/Versions/A/AppleGVA
First try VER2, it only replaces board-id in binary.

VER1 try with:

defaults write com.apple.AppleGVA gvaForceAMDAVCDecode -boolean yes

Code:
defaults write com.apple.AppleGVA gvaForceAMDAVCEncode -boolean yes
defaults write com.apple.AppleGVA gvaForceAMDKE -boolean yes

Attachments

Motherboard
GA Z97X-UD3H
CPU
i7 4790
Graphics
RX 580
Try this only on test machine. I only guessing what might be wrong. I'm not gonna debug it to see what really going on because that requires setting up VM and I don't have time for that.

You probably need to fix signature:

Code:
sudo codesign -f -s - /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/AppleGVA.framework/Versions/A/AppleGVA
First try VER2, it only replaces board-id in binary.

VER1 try with:

Code:
defaults write com.apple.AppleGVA gvaForceAMDAVCEncode -boolean yes
defaults write com.apple.AppleGVA gvaForceAMDKE -boolean yes
Thanks a bunch, I'll try it tomorrow and report back. I have a CCC backup and I'll test on it.

On VER2, is iMac 14,2 added?

Motherboard
msi e3 v5
CPU
e3 1230 v5
Graphics
rx470
how to check if agpm is enabled or not, and if there is anyone use the AGPMInjector

Motherboard
MSI B250M PRO-VHD
CPU
i3-7100
Graphics
RX 570
@Neo-matrix too:
For me, iMacPro 1,1 kind of work (to restore iTunes DRM playing, and could probably also work for Netflix): loss of one of my display using "InjectATI", "RadeonDeInit", "Dayman" (with framebuffer patch) with RX560 or RX580. If I try WEG without the aforementioned settings, one of my displays flash each 10 seconds.

The only working solution for me is to keep the iMac 14,2 SMBIOS without WEG and with the previous graphics settings ("InjectATI", etc...) and restore AppleGVA.framework from 10.14.4. Dummy141.kext isn't working anymore to prevent replacement of GVA framework. Not a big deal I guess. I would probably need to keep the 10.14.4 framework with 10.14.6 I would also guess.

And obviously, cute little purple lines at the boot screen before the "white flash", as already experienced in the betas.
I only use iMacPro1,1 + AGDP patch + PEGP to GFX0 rename, no WEG, without any ATI injection / FB patches, everything work fine.

iMac14,2 does not have AGDP issue, other SMBIOSs may need add AGDP patch as below

Motherboard
MSI B250M PRO-VHD
CPU
i3-7100
Graphics
RX 570
how to check if agpm is enabled or not, and if there is anyone use the AGPMInjector
Use IOReg to verify AGPM

I use a null AGPM dummy kext for AGPM, remove all AGPM properties and let OS auto detect, work fine with my RX460 and RX570.

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z97X-GAMING 3
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
Sapphire Nitro RX 480 OC
Mac
MacBook Pro

You shouldn't need to patch the binary, the gvaForce settings jump over the board id checks. gvaForceAMDKE seems to be the sledgehammer to force AMD for anything. I've verified this on my system using iMac 14,2. Setting gvaForceAMDKE is causing 'forced AMD for flow_id' messages for both hevc decode/encode (and h264 encode, but not decode. The GVA framework emits NO messages when I decode h264, but I think something else is going on there).

Oddly enough I can't get all of the individual force options to work. I think r14 is set based on a number of external factors; when I use Quicktime to decode HEVC the flow_id is 14, which matches one of the conditions.

When I setup my own hevc encode (in a custom app I wrote) the flow id is 6, which doesn't match any of them.