Contribute
Register

Radeon HD 6870 Dual monitor (DVI) not working SOLVED

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just run Kextutility to 'cleanup' stuff. It repairs disk permissions and does some checks as far as I use it :)

So just put the ATI6000Controller.kext where the original was and make the needed changes in the correct boot.plist file. After a reboot it should (hopefully :) ) give you dual screen.

:lol:

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    717.1 KB · Views: 482
rumey said:
ok here is my info:

I'm using the org.chameleon.Boot.plist file in /Extra folder.
It's content is:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>Kernel</key>
	<string>mach_kernel</string>
	<key>Kernel Flags</key>
	<string>npci=0x2000 darkwake=0 AtiConfig=Gibba AtiPorts=5</string>
	<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>Quiet Boot</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>Legacy Logo</key>
	<string>No</string>
	<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>Graphics Mode</key>
	<string>2560x1440x32@60</string>
	<key>UseKernelCache</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
</dict>
</plist>
For you the most important are the Kernel Flags and GraphicsEnabler.

The com.apple.Boot.plist is still:
Code:
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>Boot Logo</key>
	<string>\System\Library\CoreServices\BootLogo.png</string>
	<key>Kernel Flags</key>
	<string></string>
</dict>
</plist>

I hope this helps :)

Nice. Thanks
I think im understanding this a bit more now.
According to your set up, the 6870 is getting its instructions from the Chameleon.boot.plist leaving the apple.boot.plist untouched.

I think I could do the same too if I have org.chameleon.Boot.plist file in /Extra folder. I use the Chimera Bootloader.

Question: Can I leave this current Boot.plist untouched without the extra lines in yours?

Code:
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>Kernel Flags</key>
	<string></string>
</dict>
</plist>

I think you can keep the boot.plist. But you'll need to find the chimera boot.plist file
I don't have chimera so it could be that you'll use the exact same file as i use.

rumey said:
I think you can keep the boot.plist. But you'll need to find the chimera boot.plist file
I don't have chimera so it could be that you'll use the exact same file as i use.

Yup, I have the same cameleon file as you because Chimera is based on cameleon.

- Well, I did evrything and matched all the configurations in the cameleon.boot.plist you posted earlier. and My system still froze on start up. I took a picture this time (no that it will help)

There must be something in that kext file i downloaded thats causing my system the problem. I am so confused that it worked for everyone and not me. :banghead:

maybe its time to invest in some mDVI adapters.

Attachments

• IMG_20120403_185200.jpeg
    IMG_20120403_185200.jpeg
    84.6 KB · Views: 357
Have you had a look at the console logs?

Since your system hangs there should be some errors in the logs

Oh yeah, you are in 64 bit like the rest of us, right? :)

I would not know how to go about doing that. When the system hangs on this screen for about 5 - 10 minutes, It shuts off. I have been reinstalling LION (via Uniboot) to get my system back up and running.

Right now Im using the HDMI and DVI1 for my displays.

Do you think the 2 miniDVI's will work simultaneously (as opposed to the 2 DVIs) ?

I don't know about the 2 mini-displayport (not mini-dvi :) ).
I use one for my dell screen, but that could be because of the altered kext.

You should be able to find the console logs in Programs => Utilities (not sure about the names as I run OSX in Dutch) and there you should find a program about logs or such (if you can't find it let me know I'll search then on my machine this evening).

Oh yeah, I assume you used Multibeast to install stuff and such on your Hack, right? Just checking all possibilities for the error :)

I got in the log but to be honest, I dont know what I am looking to find here. Its's rather weird that the same process that seems to work for everyone else around here kills my computer every time I try it. Im about ready to give up on the 6870 now.

Not sure if it will help you. I just use:

GraphicsEnabler=Yes in my plist

Single DVI port for my main monitor

and then an ACTIVE mini display port to hdmi/dvi adapter for my second monitor

Running Lion (10.7.3)

--------------------

Also, this set up works

HDMI for main monitor

then again, active mini display port to dvi adapter for second monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back