Contribute
Register

Radeon HD 6870 Dual monitor (DVI) not working SOLVED

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Motherboard OR System/Laptop make and model names > See Forum Rules!
CPU
i7 > Need full CPU name > See Forum Rules!
Graphics
HD 6870
I'm having problems getting both monitors to work using the DVI connectors. I can get them both to work, but only with GraphicsEnabler=No, AtiConfig=Bulrushes, AtiPorts=4. This means no open GL or DVD player both are things I use.

I've tried all the frame buffer personalities along with AtiPorts=4 and GraphicsEnabler=Yes. None of them will get the second monitor to work. In each case, I checked ioreg | grep ATY to verify the frame buffer was loaded correctly.

The closest is with frame buffer Bulrushes, it shows both displays in system preferences but the monitor is not getting any signal. I tried detect displays, but it still does not work. The mouse moves sporadically also.

I am thinking that an EFI string in my org.chameleon.Boot.plist is the only way to get it working but I have not been able to find an EFI string for the card. EFI studio does not have the card listed.

I am wondering if anyone has this setup and has gotten it to work. I am going try the HDMI connector on the video card for one of my monitors and see what happens.

Re: Radeon HD 6870 Dual monitor (DVI) not working

billdlv81 said:
I'm having problems getting both monitors to work using the DVI connectors. I can get them both to work, but only with GraphicsEnabler=No, AtiConfig=Bulrushes, AtiPorts=4. This means no open GL or DVD player both are things I use.

I've tried all the frame buffer personalities along with AtiPorts=4 and GraphicsEnabler=Yes. None of them will get the second monitor to work. In each case, I checked ioreg | grep ATY to verify the frame buffer was loaded correctly.

The closest is with frame buffer Bulrushes, it shows both displays in system preferences but the monitor is not getting any signal. I tried detect displays, but it still does not work. The mouse moves sporadically also.

I am thinking that an EFI string in my org.chameleon.Boot.plist is the only way to get it working but I have not been able to find an EFI string for the card. EFI studio does not have the card listed.

I am wondering if anyone has this setup and has gotten it to work. I am going try the HDMI connector on the video card for one of my monitors and see what happens.

the second monitor can only work if it's GE= no
with GE = yes, no matter what you put as framebuffer, it will not work
EFI strings won't help either. It will work with windows, but not with mac.
if you want to run dual displays, use the hdmi or the mini display ports.

Hey there.

I'm in a similar situation to yourself though I'm using a single monitor. I just get a blank screen on boot with GraphicsEnabler=Yes If I use GraphicsEnabler=No I just get NI40 in system profiler on my card.

hackintosh1997 said:
the second monitor can only work if it's GE= no
with GE = yes, no matter what you put as framebuffer, it will not work
EFI strings won't help either. It will work with windows, but not with mac.
if you want to run dual displays, use the hdmi or the mini display ports.

Ok so if I use 1 DVI port and 1 HDMI port, then GE=yes will work?

On my other hack which is running Leopard I have a 9800 GTX which I had to use an EFI string. I have the same 2 monitors hooked up to it and had full QE. I guess 10.7 is different with the EFI string. I thought you got rid of everything in the plist for graphics except the string itself so you would not even have GE in the plist.

Thanks.

EDIT: HDMI cable does work, so with 1 DVI and 1 HDMI both monitors work. But I can't set the resolution on the HDMI connected monitor to what I had before.

l4ke said:
Hey there.

I'm in a similar situation to yourself though I'm using a single monitor. I just get a blank screen on boot with GraphicsEnabler=Yes If I use GraphicsEnabler=No I just get NI40 in system profiler on my card.

What method did you use to install? What is in your org.chameleon.boot.plist file?

Multiple outputs are absolutely working with GE. I've got 3 outputs working with QE/CI acceleration. Probably 4 if i had more screens.

Do your research better people. Start here for example: http://tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=29306 (it's about the 2GB version but the methods should help you out)

dtrvndrn said:
Multiple outputs are absolutely working with GE. I've got 3 outputs working with QE/CI acceleration. Probably 4 if i had more screens.

Do your research better people. Start here for example: http://tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=29306 (it's about the 2GB version but the methods should help you out)

Thanks I took a look at the thread. As far as I could tell, no one was able to get DVI 1 & DVI 2 working at the same time. That is what I need with my setup. The HDMI does not work as well on the 2nd monitor for me.

Same problem here with multiple 6870 cards from Gigabyte and Dual DVI monitors (Dell 2407). It just won't work with GE=Yes. Will try HDMI tomorrow.

dtrvndrn said:
Have you tried all framebuffer settings?

They are the ones listed here:
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=46392&start=0&hilit=ati%2Famd+frame

From my first post.

Still looking around for a solution. Also looking for some basic material so I can understand better what is going on. My first machine is running leopard and that was pretty simple I had an EFI string and used boot 132 on the EFI partition.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back