Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asrock B365M Pro4
CPU
Intel i5-9400
Graphics
ATI/AMD Radeon HD 5570
Hello everyone,

I've built a new system a month ago with an i5-9400, 16GB of RAM and re-used my old radeon hd 5570.

I was thinking of doing Hackintosh but I see that to use my GPU I'd have to use High Sierra or lower since it doesn't support Metal.

Other solution is to use my iGPU but I'd rather use my GPU if possible, regardless if needed to use older macOS version. I've been searching about compatibility and how it works, but didn't find much. Wondered if you guys knew a possible solution.

You already know the answer, use the IGPU or get a metal compatible graphics card.
  • Your HD5570 is not supported in versions of macOS that require the discrete graphics card to use Metal.
  • Your CPU isn't natively supported in older versions of macOS.
  • Native support for the Coffee Lake Refresh CPU's started with Mojave 10.14.4/5.
  • While the CPU can be set to run older versions such a High Sierra, that still doesn't get you past the fact your discrete graphics card is not supported in High Sierra, Mojave, Catalina or Big Sur.

Pull out your HD 5570. UHD 630 of your i5-9400 is faster than it and supports the latest versions of macOS.

Hello everyone,

I've built a new system a month ago with an i5-9400, 16GB of RAM and re-used my old radeon hd 5570.

I was thinking of doing Hackintosh but I see that to use my GPU I'd have to use High Sierra or lower since it doesn't support Metal.

Other solution is to use my iGPU but I'd rather use my GPU if possible, regardless if needed to use older macOS version. I've been searching about compatibility and how it works, but didn't find much. Wondered if you guys knew a possible solution.

You don't mind running older versions of MacOS such as Sierra or High Sierra?

In that case your system may still work with MacOS Sierra 10.12.6 and High Sierra 10.13.6.

As you can see my first (main) and third systems use 9th generation Intel CPUs like yours, and they are able to run MacOS Sierra 10.12.6 and High Sierra 10.13.6 using supported graphics cards.

Using the iGPU you will be able to run MacOS Mojave 10.14.6 and later, but not anything older since the iGPU in 9th generation Intel CPUs is only supported on Mojave and later.

I don't know if this is any help but the ATI Radeon HD 5770 Mac 1024MB is supported in El Captain 10.11.6 as my intel Mac Pro early 2008 has inside, Will let yo know in the weekend if it supports newer versions.

quadro fx 5600 1.5gb card was one of them choices i had to make ;)

Last edited:
I don't know if this is any help but the ATI Radeon HD 5770 Mac 1024MB is supported in El Captain 10.11.6 as my intel Mac Pro early 2008 has inside, Will let yo know in the weekend if it supports newer versions.

quadro fx 5600 1.5gb card was one of them choices i had to make ;)

Yes, the 5770 is supported on El Capitan 10.11.6 and Sierra 10.12.6, but not later MacOS versions since the card lacks Metal support, Apple's graphics framework.

Yes, the 5770 is supported on El Capitan 10.11.6 and Sierra 10.12.6, but not later MacOS versions since the card lacks Metal support, Apple's graphics framework.

Thats right i forgot about the apple framework however there is some sort of patch that uses either ATi2000.text or ATi3000.text from the older OS using dosdude1 patch but from memory it was a case of spotty edges on corners that didn't look right neither did the night mode work.

it is not possible for the HD 5770 to achieve full graphics acceleration under Catalina even for Netflix even with the patch as i mentioned above.

Edit:
Sorry i just seen your motherbroad info and it seems to only support x1 PCIe 3.0 x1 and a x1 PCIe 3.0 x16 but I'm guessing its backward compatible with 2.0 x16 as the 5770 is only 2.0 x16 card with a 200W power supply recommend so in that case if you won't a cheap and cheerful then the nvidia geforce gt 120 will be the best choice rather then the HD 5770 as of compatibly with higher MacOS's, saying that not sure if Big Sir is working for the gt 120.

The drivers for the nvidia geforce gt 120 can be downloaded from Nvidia website and is supported from el capitan to high sierra

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back