Contribute
Register

Radeon Compatibility Guide - ATI/AMD Graphics Cards

Hi to everyone!

I am on first amd gpu now and have some issues with performance. The gpu is mxm wx4150, custom vbios, any os support, laptop HP zbook g3.

So the problem is next: when using discrete mode after some time gpu failed to work on full frequency. The ram clock stuck on 300mhz, but when dual gpu is used, then everything goes well. The restart solves this issue but, it appears again after adobe dreamwaver is opening, or chrome browser, the frequency falls to low.

Hi alltogether,
I have rasen 7870 card and a relativ old board Gigabyte Z68-xp-ud5, in Sierra everything works fine..
buts now I installed High Sierra and I did so many things..whatevergree, lila, EmuVariableUefi.efi..
I can boot, the card is recognised by the system a driver seems to be loaded..
This is what I can see under system Report:

Chipsatz-Modell: AMD Radeon HD 7870 Series

Typ: GPU

Bus: PCIe

PCIe-Lane-Breite: x16

VRAM (gesamt): 5 MB

VRAM (dynamisch, maximal):

Hersteller: AMD (0x1002)

Geräte-ID: 0x6818

Versions-ID: 0x0000

EFI-Treiberversion: 01.00.3180

The problem is I have no graphic acceleration..Has anybody a idea what I can do ?

You need to post a copy of your Clover folder so we can see what you are using and just as importantly what you are not using.

Remember to delete/redact your serial number, board serial number, MLB, ROM and SmUUID from your config.plist before you post a copy here.

Here is my clover folder ..thank you for looking over it:)

Attachments

• CLOVER.Radeon 7870.GAz68xpUd5.zip
    4.2 MB · Views: 88
Your CLOVER folder is missing the drivers64 & drivers64UEFI folders, or drivers/BIOS & UEFI folders if using a newer version of Clover. Do you not use the Drivers folder?

Kexts:
You have a number of duplicate and unnecessary kexts in the /CLOVER/kexts/10.12 and /kexts/Other folder.

Screenshot 2021-08-04 at 13.08.55.png struck out kexts need to be removed.

CPU Power Management:
You would be better served generating a custom SSDT.aml for your CPU Power Management than using the NullCPUPowerManagement.kext. That kext is meant to be used as a short term fix while installing macOS/OS X until you are booting the OS and able to generate a custom Power Management SSDT. This is done using PikerAlpha's script as shown in this guide - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/quick-guide-to-generate-a-ssdt-for-cpu-power-management.177456/

Intel IGPU & WhateverGreen.kext:
When using WhateverGreen.kext (WEG) you don't need to (and shouldn't) use the Inject Intel=true graphics option in your config.plist. As WEG deals with this option and a few others.

Your i7-2600K contains a HD3000 IGPU, which can be used in macOS for Quicksync and other compute processes, while your discrete GPU undertakes the main display graphics functions. For this to work you need to add the following to your config.plist > Devices > Properties section:

Screenshot 2021-08-04 at 13.24.04.png

Closeup of Properties section showing entry for Sandy Bridge Headless/empty framebuffer.
Screenshot 2021-08-04 at 13.24.11.png

SMBIOS:
You are using the wrong SMBIOS for your Sandy Bridge system while running macOS Sierra, you should be using the iMac 12.2 SMBIOS, or the Ivy Bridge iMac 13,2 as an alternative. The iMac 12,2 SMBIOS natively supports your CPU up to High Sierra 10.13.6. The Ivy Bridge iMac 13,2 SMBIOS can be used if you need and want to run something newer than High Sierra, up to and including macOS Catalina. I use the Ivy Bridge SMBIOS on both my HP servers, as they are both running Catalina 10.15.7.

Discrete Graphics card:
Your AMD HD7870 has the device id 0x6818 and this is present in the AMD7000Controller.kext. Using WEG and not adding any extraneous graphics options, fixes and patches to your Clover setup, this should be sufficient for your graphics card to have full acceleration in macOS Sierra.

BIOS:
I assume you have your Bios setup correctly to run macOS. Can you check to see if you have everything set as shown below:
  1. Virtualization : Enabled
  2. VT-d : Disabled
  3. XHCI Hand-Off : Enabled
  4. Legacy USB Support: Auto/Enabled
  5. IO SerialPort : Disabled
  6. Network Stack : Disabled
  7. XMP Profile : Auto / Profile 1/Enabled
  8. UEFI Booting set to Enabled and set Priority over Legacy
  9. Secure Boot : Disabled
  10. Fast Boot : Disabled
  11. OS Type: Other OS
  12. Wake on LAN : Disabled
When using a Dedicated Graphics + Integrated graphics card:
  1. Integrated Graphics : Enabled
  2. Graphics: PEG/PCIe Slot 1
  3. Initial Display Output : PCIe 1 Slot
  4. DVMT Pre-Allocated : 128M or higher
Some of these may not be present in your Bios, some may have slightly different names and some may be hidden in a sub-menu.

As you have a Sandy Bridge system you may not have the UEFI option in your bios. This is fine.

Hello Edhawk, thank you so much for your support, I configured the clover config.plist as you told me
and Intel graphic 3000 seems to work full, radeon not yet..but I will not give up

What about your Drivers folder? Do you use one?

No I have no drivers folder..

Do I need a never clover version ?

No you can just add the folder and drivers manually, if you are comfortable doing so.

I have attached a generic drivers folder from Clover_r5119, which you can add to your CLOVER folder.

Attachments

• drivers.zip
    425.8 KB · Views: 84
Back