Contribute
Register

Radeon Compatibility Guide - ATI/AMD Graphics Cards

Has anyone noticed that "Heaven" and "Valley" Unigine benchmarks when run under Big Sur are slightly lower (and somewhat jumpy when panned) than under Catalina? (Run on system at left, anyway)
Yes, they are getting outdated. Their latest release doesn’t support Macs.
They are DX11 and DX12 apps which Apple is moving away from.

They are going to be useless soon because they still use OpenGL. Try using GeekBench 5+ with Metal
Thing is, Heaven and Valley are not just benchmarks, although they are usually used just for that. Those "worlds" can be explored if "walking" and "free" modes are chosen. MacOS High Sierra works fine on them with no weirdnesses.

Yes, they are getting outdated. Their latest release doesn’t support Macs. They are DX11 and DX12 apps which Apple is moving away from.
It seems that Apple has little problem "helping" to outdate things. nVidia graphics drivers, 32-bit apps, OpenGL, etc. I find that I do not really like Big Sur as well as Catalina, which I do not like as well as Mojave, which I do not like as well as High Sierra. In fact I'm thinking about downgrading my computer at left to High Sierra, which would then "match" my "Mini-ITX 1" and "Mini-ITX 3" computers below. (I'm pretty much obsolete, so maybe my MacOS should be, too.)

Thing is, Heaven and Valley are not just benchmarks, although they are usually used just for that. Those "worlds" can be explored if "walking" and "free" modes are chosen. MacOS High Sierra works fine on them with no weirdnesses.

It seems that Apple has little problem "helping" to outdate things. nVidia graphics drivers, 32-bit apps, OpenGL, etc. I find that I do not really like Big Sur as well as Catalina, which I do not like as well as Mojave, which I do not like as well as High Sierra. In fact I'm thinking about downgrading my computer at left to High Sierra, which would then "match" my "Mini-ITX 1" and "Mini-ITX 3" computers below. (I'm pretty much obsolete, so maybe my MacOS should be, too.)

I know, but it is an OpenGL test that is used to test cross platform performance, ie between Windows and macOS.

Now that OpenGL is deprecated, most likely it will be gone after Big Sur and Metal will be required 100% or it just won't work.

So the only other "Benchmark" type of tool we have that is cross platform is Geekbench. At least you can compare numbers between macOS and Windows.

Thank you, izo1, I do understand. It's not the loss of a cross-platform benchmark that bothers me, it's the (gradual) loss of good virtual "worlds" for the Mac. Another case is (because of the loss of 32-bit apps) the loss of Myst IV, Myst V, and Uru video games. To play those on a Mac OS now, one has to stay on, or revert to, High Sierra, unless Cyan updates them to 64-bit (which they did for Myst, Riven, and Myst III).

Thank you, izo1, I do understand. It's not the loss of a cross-platform benchmark that bothers me, it's the (gradual) loss of good virtual "worlds" for the Mac. Another case is (because of the loss of 32-bit apps) the loss of Myst IV, Myst V, and Uru video games. To play those on a Mac OS now, one has to stay on, or revert to, High Sierra, unless Cyan updates them to 64-bit (which they did for Myst, Riven, and Myst III).

Apple has been chipping away at 32bit apps for a while now, back in Sierra we already saw them starting to move gradually to Metal and so on. Apple historically did support open standards such as OpenGL/OpenCL, but they gradually got rid of it because iOS is so popular with Metal.

I think Metal is very good and Vulkan can easily be translated, so not all hope is lost here.

If you really really need old macOS software, it's best to just stick with an older version of macOS...but the world is moving towards Metal and it's actually a good thing, this will force iOS developers to support Macs and vice versa of modern games.

Will it be AAA titles in the Mac gaming store? Probably not. Is it better than nothing? Sure.

Stay positive, I think the future is brighter than we think. We are losing the "openness" with Macs due to ARM chips, but I think we're gaining some other things down the line too.

i want to ask about amd radeon hd7700 only get 7mb on big sur, I use opencore 0.6.7, I have added the boot flag radpg = 15

Which make and model from the HD7000 series of AMD cards are you using? I use a few XFX HD7870 dGPU's, they work just fine in Catalina with OpenCore, without any extra options, just WhateverGreen.kext.

Have you tried booting the system without the radpg=15 boot argument, what difference does it make?

What other AMD graphics related options have you added?

What is the device ID?
device ID for amd radeon HD7700
device ID:6837

1616342374292.png

0x6837 is not a natively supported device id in macOS.

There are two that are close HD7750 - 0x683F and HD7770 - 0x683D

You may need to use one of these two device id's, i.e. a fake id, for your HD7700 card.

Which bootloader are you using, Clover or OpenCore?

Back