Contribute
Register

Radeon Compatibility Guide - ATI/AMD Graphics Cards

So the 6xxx series would probably be the best bet for long-term compatibility and performance?

Long term compatibility is a huge question mark right now. No one but Apple really knows how long macOS on X86-64 will still be supported.

Personally, I consider macOS on X86-64 to be "legacy" already.

I guess a lot will depend on if Apple release a Big Navi card for the new Mac Pro, if not then I agree with you that Apple will be 100% focused on AS Mac's.
Some may think this sounds crazy, but I could see Apple providing one Intel refresh of the '19 Mac Pro. In that scenario they would definitely support AMD Big Navi graphics. When they have invested that much R&D money into the MP 7,1 I really doubt they will abandon it and offer some tiny (by comparison) Mac mini Pro with Apple Silicon. I know that Pros need PCIe slots and they need the most powerful graphics they can get (at least if they edit video). This is why I think the the 2019 Intel Xeon MP will still be supported longer than any other Macs will. What Pros definitely don't need is the ability to run all of the millions of iOS apps that Apple Silicon will allow once it is in the next release of new hardware from Apple.

See: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/apple-to-refresh-16-intel-based-macbook-pro.305477/

I could see Apple providing one Intel refresh of the '19 Mac Pro. In that scenario they would definitely support AMD Big Navi graphics.

@trs96,

Back in early 2020 I do seem to remember reading a few reports from Apple product predictors that Apple will indeed release a iMacPro refresh before the year is out, from what i remember it was due to be released around the same time as the last new iMac from a few moths back. If that plan is still on the cards then it would make sense for Apple delay it until Big Navi was ready.

The iMacPro was an interesting device, expensive for sure and a bit of a nice product. However given that it was released before the new Mac Pro and that a 2020/2021 refresh will most likely be even more expensive than the first model I do wonder if Apple would steer potential buyers of such a product towards the new Mac Pro ?

I guess time will tell ..... interesting times ahead for everyone in the PC and Mac world.

Cheers
Jay

Can anyone help in relationship to a Yeston RX 550 4GB?
This card is reported working as it is a Polaris 640 4GB with ID 0x67EF1002.
Even though I set such ID IN Clover / Devices / ATI I don't see such ID being reported and the card is still being reported with ID 699F12002, hence acceleration doesn't work.

Can anyone help?
Thanks.

Can anyone help in relationship to a Yeston RX 550 4GB?
This card is reported working as it is a Polaris 640 4GB with ID 0x67EF1002.
Even though I set such ID IN Clover / Devices / ATI I don't see such ID being reported and the card is still being reported with ID 699F12002, hence acceleration doesn't work.

Can anyone help?
Thanks.

Can you get a RX560 instead? Or a used RX580? The latter is like $90 now used, its a great card for what it is.

Can you get a RX560 instead? Or a used RX580? The latter is like $90 now used, its a great card for what it is.
I know those cards are great BUT I need a 1 slot videocard for a ITX build.
The Yeston I bought was supposed to be the Polaris 640 BUT instead after booting in Windows I found out it is a Lexa 512, so I'm heading it back.

Question. I'm on BIG Sur, and my RX 570 is working but the chipsetmodel shows ???
Schermafbeelding 2020-11-21 om 19.14.46.png

I'm fixing-up my config.plist. I think I fixed it up a little bit to much.

I tried to Install Catalina with my RX 580 on my PC after using UNIBeast without any modifying in Clover configurator and I would get a black screen while loading on the apple screen on my PC. I took out the Saphire 8gb nitro+ RX 580 and put in my old 5750 XFX and it boots and runs the installer and and gets to the desktop of Catalina! I tried so much I haven't slept in a week!!!! Can some one help me out please! I tried a lot and Im about to sell this card and get another one !
Put the RX580 and wait longer for boot. Mine takes over a minute with a fast Gigabyte Z390 MB and SSD drive!

RX580 requires RadeonDeInit=true graphics option to be set in the config.plist. Do not set any other graphics options, especially with your IGPU-less CPU (i5-9400F). You must have WhateverGreen.kext installed to your bootloader's kext folder along with Lilu.kext. You should be using a SMBIOS that only has a discrete GPU such s the iMac Pro 1,1 or Mac Pro 7,1.

Using the defaults from Unibeast is unlikely to include this essential graphics option, it needs to be selected manually.

The 5750 is natively supported since Snow Leopard, it will boot your system without any config.plist settings, may not have full acceleration without a few tweaks but it will not boot to a black screen like the RX580..

Having a fast SSD, RAM, CPU and motherboard doesn't equate to a fast booting system. Because you can easily miss out essential settings or add in wrong settings, kext and drivers to your Clover or OpenCore folder that cause the boot process to halt or take longer to complete. USER ERROR not issues with the components are more likely to be the cause of the slow boot.

Getting macOS to boot on a Hack is only the start of a journey, the hardest part is getting the system to work at its optimum level.

Back