Contribute
Register

Radeon Compatibility Guide - ATI/AMD Graphics Cards

Hey Pastrychef, I have your setup and hardware (9900K, Radeon VII, Mac 1,1, etc.) & wanted to try enabling the IGPU to see if I could replicate the improvements in HEVC exports. After turning it back on in BIOS, the system no longer boots past the Apple logo. I think I’m missing a setting... maybe inject Intel in Clover? Any ideas?

H264 exports quickly in FCPX but HEVC takes as much as 15mn for a 2mn Clip which isn’t right considering the hardware. What’s strange is I have the newest versions of FCPX and Compressor that let me select the VII in preferences.

No. Inject Intel isn't the answer.

Please post your EFI.

hi im having trouble finding my frame buffer, in step 2 you say Run redsock_bios_decoder. This will give you the encoder ID and transmitter ID. now this step is assuming that you already know how to use redsock bios decoder because you dont just run it to get the results. i have found no documentation on how to use it and i have tried running it with the bios after it in terminal but no luck. could someone please elaborate on how to use it. thankyou

When I’ve try to render a video with fcpx seems like the computer don’t uses max gpu acceleration

@DevilMatt84,

FCPX will only use the dGPU to render effects and transitions (basically anything that can make use of tile based rendering), it is not used for transcoding, the same is true for just about all Video editing software unless a specific hardware codec accelerator is used such as the RED Rocket card or the new Apple afterburner card.

If you want to see this for yourself run the BruceX video encode test project :-

That project has no source video, it comprises of nothing but effects and transitions so is dGPU heavy.

Edit: Opps sorry, i did not notice that i already answered this in a previous post, please ignore.

Cheers
Jay

Hey Pastrychef, I have your setup and hardware (9900K, Radeon VII, Mac 1,1, etc.) & wanted to try enabling the IGPU to see if I could replicate the improvements in HEVC exports. After turning it back on in BIOS, the system no longer boots past the Apple logo. I think I’m missing a setting... maybe inject Intel in Clover? Any ideas?

H264 exports quickly in FCPX but HEVC takes as much as 15mn for a 2mn Clip which isn’t right considering the hardware. What’s strange is I have the newest versions of FCPX and Compressor that let me select the VII in preferences.

look this post and next 3 page..

I just installed High Sierra (upgrade from Sierra). Got both monitors and USB ports working on High Sierra. with the new install, (& Gforce GTX 660Ti), the graphics are flaky. I purchassed and installed a Radeon RX 580 and only one monitor works (second monitor is plugged into a display port).
I'm having trouble determining which kext files are needed.
Do I need to remove all the Nvidia kext files for the RX580 to work?
How do I get the second monitor to work?

Attachments

• debug_4462.zip
    1.3 MB · Views: 74
You appear to not have Lilu or WhateverGreen; is that right?
You appear to have an old Clover version; is that right?

Correct, i do not have Lilu or WhateverGreen.
I'm looking at the "iDiot's Guide to Lilu..." - looks like that install may solve many of my issues.
Clover version is not too old (don't have v-# just now). Clover displays gray Background when loading.

Suggest following:
Update Clover to vLatest.
Update to use WEG and Lilu.
Retest.
BEFORE YOU DO THIS: Make sure you have a BOOTABLE USB stick that WORKS, in case you need to revert.

Suggest following:
Update Clover to vLatest.
Update to use WEG and Lilu.
thanks dclive,
please clarify a few things for me:
when I update clover does it retain the current kext files and commands?
- and so (assuming it retains old commands) will I still need to remove the old/previous nvidia kext files/commands (in config.plist and ../extensions)?
- do you recommend a clean install of Clover? that is completely remove my current config.plist?
- if i remove and replace .plist, is there a guide to do this? (brief summary of steps)

when I update clover does it retain the current kext files and commands?

No. The Clover EFI and associated files distributed with Clover are updated.

- and so (assuming it retains old commands) will I still need to remove the old/previous nvidia kext files/commands (in config.plist and ../extensions)?

I wouldn't lose sleep over it, but yes, you should probably clean up the old nVidia stuff at some point.

- do you recommend a clean install of Clover? that is completely remove my current config.plist?

Heck no. I suggest doing what I wrote earlier. :)

- if i remove and replace .plist, is there a guide to do this? (brief summary of steps)

I wouldn't replace any of that. Just make the backup of the USB boot, test it, then do the three steps I listed.

Back