Contribute
Register

Radeon Compatibility Guide - ATI/AMD Graphics Cards

Hi everybody, just got Sapphire's RX550 which one based on Polaris 21(RX560's chip) with ID 67FF1002
I've already red a few messages about it should work OOB, but seems nobody reported about that. Maybe somebody got expierence with that card?
Thanks!

Hi everybody, just got Sapphire's RX550 which one based on Polaris 21(RX560's chip) with ID 67FF1002I've already red a few messages about it should work OOB, but seems nobody reported about that. Maybe somebody got expierence with that card?

@DimaYozh,

Try installing Lilu + WhatEverGreen ....

Cheers
Jay

@DimaYozh,

Try installing Lilu + WhatEverGreen ....

Cheers
Jay
Thanks a lot! I'll try to install macOS in following weekend(last time I installed hack in El Capitan times, many things change since then?) Sorry for offtopic

Thanks a lot! I'll try to install macOS in following weekend(last time I installed hack in El Capitan times, many things change since then?) Sorry for offtopic

@DimaYozh,

Things have moved on a lot since the days of El Cap ...

Lilu + WhatEverGreen should take care of configuring your AMD GPU with the correct Frame Buffer and any other patches that may be needed. Be sure to enable your IGPU in the BIOS and configure it as Headless. The AppleALC plugin should take care of your Audio .... its all explained in that guide i linked you to.

As explained in the guide you should remove any appropriate fixes and settings from clovers config file so that Lilu and the plugins can work correctly ...

Cheers
Jay

Hi everybody, just got Sapphire's RX550 which one based on Polaris 21(RX560's chip) with ID 67FF1002
I've already red a few messages about it should work OOB

From the Mojave GPU Buyer's guide

Regarding Polaris, basically every model of card is supported as kong as it’s running a Polaris core(lower end cards like the RX550 run a Lexa core meaning no support in MacOs).

EDIT: Seems to be only on some models of RX 550 so yours should be fine

EDIT: Seems to be only on some models of RX 550 so yours should be fine

I ordered a Radeon RX 550 few days ago. It should arrive before the end of October (currently out of stock - new product).

I took a careful look about RX 550 card before buying it (but I paid it about 60€, so if it doesn't work, that's not big money...). From what I've read, only "new" RX 550, based on Polaris 21 version (which is called Baffin) are compatible. The ones not compatible are flagged as Polaris 12 - Lexa.

Another spec to look at when searching for such card is "Shading Units" which are 512 for Lexa and 640 for Baffin. So, to me (but not currently tested) :
- Arez Phoenix RX 550 is OK
- while Asus RX 550 is not

@DimaYozh any news on your build ? It seems I'll receive the same GPU as you.

I ordered a Radeon RX 550 few days ago. It should arrive before the end of October (currently out of stock - new product).

I took a careful look about RX 550 card before buying it

@Kuaaaly,

AMD RX 550 is not listed in the compatibility list in post #1 ...
But as you say it most likely depends on the Polaris version you GPU has ...
Let us know how you get on with it ...

Cheers
Jay

@jaymonkey we are seeing apple officially support RX560 but we are still getting a black screen on boot without WEG. is there any way to pass black screen on boot without WEG?

Last edited:
@jaymonkey we are seeing apple officially support RX560 but we are still getting a black screen on boot without WEG. is there any way to pass black screen on boot without WEG?

@telepati,

Real Macs have completely different ACPI tables to PC's ...
WEG patches the ACPI tables so that they work in MacOS and ensures the correct AMD FrameBuffer is used ..etc

You could use some clover patches and write some custom SSDT's if you did not want to use WEG but I'm not sure why you would want to do that ... WEG is a simple one stop solution for all GPU's on MacOS.

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
I can’t get vega 56, a black screen in the center and artifacts
YK5f1RH4yU0.jpg

Back