Contribute
Register

Radeon Compatibility Guide - ATI/AMD Graphics Cards

I have a SilverStone SST-RVZ03B case for my ASUS ITX Z270, and it is an incredible pain to assemble and disassemble. It's a tiny box into which I have stuffed a single fan water cooler, a 3/4 sized power supply and 3 SSDs. The cooling fan is mounted on the outside.

I started this with a ITX Radeon RX570 which didn't work - see prior postings from earlier in the month. I retracted that and put BACK the NVidia GTX 950 and rebooted with no problems. So I then bought this RX580 as it was deemed 100% compatible all over this Forum. Unpacked the case, stuffed in the RX580 and booted to this nightmare. As I've said a million times this works fine on the Windows 10 boot.

Now I've re-enabled the IGPU in the BIOS and am running the Windows on it. But it doesn't change the failure to boot to any OSX.

Before I rip this pain apart again, I would like to know why I can't boot to the USB High Sierra install stick. What is happening there?

I think now this is an ACPI problem of some nature. Someone out there must have a suggestion - before I tear it apart.

Is there a BIOS setting that I'm missing - is this the common point? Any yes I have followed all advice I can find on BIOS defaults. And I have varied all I can find in the BIOS with regard to Graphics option - the latest being booting on the IGPU.

I'm now thinking of replacing the computer case to something bigger uglier but easier to jig.

My weekend homework will be to build a new USB Install stick from scratch, test it on my GA-Z97X hack and see if I can boot it on this Z270X hack.

I'm fishing for ONE more suggestion before I follow your advice, which believe me, I had already considered.

WTF?

Do you have the USB injection fix (high sierra version) installed on the USB stick drive itself? I had a problem similar to this where I couldn't get to the installer because my build couldn't recognize the USB Drive properly under MacOS because the USB ports weren't properly configured. I know they recommend the fix when installing MultiBeast but for some builds its also important to install it on the USB Stick itself too. This is the only thing I could think of that it might be.

You can also just unplug the RX 6-8 pin power cords.

Good idea; but if you saw this box you would know there's no way in hell I can but them back in without taking the whole thing apart again.

hello, in bios set IGPU at 32 Mb? in my case another value is black screen!!

I'll give it a try.

Do you have the USB injection fix (high sierra version) installed on the USB stick drive itself? I had a problem similar to this where I couldn't get to the installer because my build couldn't recognize the USB Drive properly under MacOS because the USB ports weren't properly configured. I know they recommend the fix when installing MultiBeast but for some builds its also important to install it on the USB Stick itself too. This is the only thing I could think of that it might be.

Ok. I will put the SSDT-UIAC.aml on the USB stick for the Z270X motherboard and give that a try. I assume that's what you're suggesting?

However remember if I put BACK the NVidia card it works, and USB works. So the existing Clover that attempts to boot the Z270X has this fix/support built in.

Thanks for the suggestions. Work to be done this evening....

Sad to report nothing works.

However I have a clue.

With the Sapphire Pulse RX580 in the system my BIOS splash screen shows this:

ASROCK | Sapphire

in blue. It used to have a simpler ASROCK splash screen. A google search found this:

https://forum.level1techs.com/t/asrock-sapphire-boost-question-solved/118053

There appears to be some kind of "Symbiotic" relationship between the Sapphire Video card and the ASROCK Z270 Gaming-ITX/ac Motherboard. Some kind of POWER or Clocking OVERRIDE.

How can I disable / remove this feature???

I think this is the key, as the halt appears during ACPI or PCIe config and the combo of this MB and Video card is preventing boot.

However I have a clue.

Wow! Major breakthrough. (Yes I know you're all holding your breath...:lol:)

I checked the ASROCK BIOS download and found that my version 2.30 was not the latest, so I downloaded the latest version 2.50 and flashed it. The initial reset of the BIOS caused by the re-flash gave me some heart attacks, - thinking I had a dead motherboard - but the flash had caused the boot port to switch to the Sapphire RX580 and turn off the IGPU port which I had been connected.

Once over that hurdle, I booted to Windows 10. No problems.

I restarted on my installed SSD Clover 4578 version, with my original config.plist and BLACK SCREEN - what a JOY! No more hangs on boot. Nothing to do with FakePCIID or any of the other suspicions. Never thought that a black screen could be so pleasing.

I was successfully able to boot to SINGLE USER MODE!

Once there, I moved

FakeSMC.kext to FakeSMC.kext.bak
FakePCIID.kext to FakePCIID.kext.bak
FakeIntelGraphics.kext to FakeIntelGraphics.kext

then /usr/sbin/kextcache -i /

watched it rebuild, seemed to be successful.

Rebooted. BACK SCREEN.

BUT. I'm back in the world of black screens, WITH Lilu.kext and WhateverGreen.kext in /Library/Extensions.

This is a familiar place for this Forum. I'm now asking for possible solutions to the black screen boot. Black screen results in boot to Safe Mode, and to Recovery mode, and for USB installer stick. Nothing gets past the black screen. Oh I have tried with RadenDebugInit true and false. Same result -> black screen. iMac type is back to iMac 18,2.

I'm posting this from my Z270 Hack!

I'm not sure exactly what needs to change to get here, but I have the GUI up and running. To get from Black Screen to here I created a new USB installer with Unibeast for High Sierra, used the standard Clover UEFI install version 44xx or something, with the simplest of config.plist that comes with Unibeast, and booted my OSX SSD.

I have no audio, but WiFi and Bluetooth working.

Can't believe I've finally got here.

Moral of the story: keep your bios up to date !

Has anyone figured out how to get native UEFI resolution on clover with a Vega Frontier Edition and a Ultrawide monitor at 3840x1600?

If using your IGPU there is no need for rad de init. This is mainly used for people with no IGPU function, which would result in Black Screen after boot.

If I desire to use both the HD4000 iGPU and the RX560 cards in my computer. Could I have a monitor start up on either of these GPUs? Also, could I set up the RX560s as my primary GPUs instead of the iGPU? Thank you for any help.

Back