Contribute
Register

Radeon Compatibility Guide - ATI/AMD Graphics Cards

Do you have lilu and whatevergreen Kexts in Clover/Kexts/Other folder.

i have Lilu in /Library/Extensions. I didn't read ( this is a huge post ) about having to put Lilu And Whatever Green in Kexts/Other. I will attempt. thanks.

Removing some graphics card preferences might help. If reaching the desktop is not possible, have you tried safe boot?

I can't boot into safe mode, or any mode. All black screens.

i have Lilu in /Library/Extensions. I didn't read ( this is a huge post ) about having to put Lilu And Whatever Green in Kexts/Other. I will attempt. thanks.

I can't boot into safe mode, or any mode. All black screens.

Needed to remove all nvidia drivers too and use the nv disable boot flag ?

@Gigamaxx

I placed Lilu.kext and WhateverGreen.kext in the Kexts/Other folder of my USB boot stick.

I booted at this time when the Apple load got to where I think it does a graphic load, it reset the system and brought me back to the Clover boot selector screen.

This is different than before, where it was just in black screen space and nothing ( I suspect the OS loaded).

Is there a conflict between the LiLu.kext in Other folder and one in /Library/Extensions ? How can I fix that?

Finally I've been given all kinds of advice (over this Forum) about putting my kexts in kexts/Other or in /Library/Extensions, with me being successful in getting Z270X Hack working with NVidia and /Library/Extensions for kexts - audio and HDMI, Bluetooth and WiFi dongles etc working.

Where should I put the injected kexts?

@vulgo

How do I get to these preferences changes if I can't get past the black screen?

/var/db/com.apple.iokit.graphics

Code:
sudo find -E ~ /Library -regex '.*(Preferences|ByHost)/com.apple.loginwindow.*plist'

Removing some graphics card preferences might help. If reaching the desktop is not possible, have you tried safe boot?

Finally in my OTHER hack, GA-Z97X, I was able to put this card:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125962&ignorebbr=1

with NO requirement to add Lilu.kext and WhateverGreen.kext to kexts/Other, or use RadeonDebugInit = true. It just worked. Was that lucky? Should I just replace this XFS RX 570 with the above RX 580 and have done with this ?

How do I get to these preferences changes if I can't get past the black screen?
Single user mode? To delete the files
Code:
/sbin/fsck -fy
/sbin/mount -uw /
/bin/rm /var/db/com.apple.iokit.graphics
/bin/rm /Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow.plist
/usr/bin/find -E /Users -regex '.*(Preferences|ByHost)/com.apple.loginwindow.*plist' -delete
exit
Have you tried re-plugging different ports, HDMI, DP etc?

Single user mode? To delete the files

Duh...

Was swapping single user mode, with safe mode on Clover boot options. Correctly selected single user mode and
got to safe mode, deleted the *.plist files as suggested. Typo in one of them. Should be
Code:
/bin/rm /var/db/.com.apple.iokit.graphics

or in total:

Code:
/sbin/fsck -fy
/sbin/mount -uw /
/bin/rm /var/db/.com.apple.iokit.graphics
/bin/rm /Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow.plist
/usr/bin/find -E /Users -regex '.*(Preferences|ByHost)/com.apple.loginwindow.*plist' -delete
exit

thanks for the help.

Oh, and my LG monitor only has HDMI and DP inputs, no DVI. So swapping ports was a null

My AMD Radeon R9 270X 2048MB video card, has DP, DVI-i, DVI-D, HDMI. How to use the HDMI input as a first screen, to make the DVI-i work with a VGA adapter, how should I do it? I used lilu + whatevergreen, I got the copy of the second screen on both screens, and the main screen disappeared, I had to put a double screen to see the main screen but on the second screen (DVI-i> VGA) the screen is a green shade.
Can you help me?

What is this issue? Has it been resolved in 10.13.6 and beyond. I ask as my RX560s are working fine with Intel HD4000. So, it would be nice to keep this computer reliable for many many moons.

If using your IGPU there is no need for rad de init. This is mainly used for people with no IGPU function, which would result in Black Screen after boot.

Back