Contribute
Register

Radeon Compatibility Guide - ATI/AMD Graphics Cards

Hey Stork you have a great system there.
The discussion we are having is related to FCPX and AMD GPU support.
How are your experiences/results with FCPX usage on that system ?
Unfortunately, I don't use FCPX so I can't help you out with FCPX. My systems are for general purpose computing and personal audio recording.

Unfortunately, I don't use FCPX so I can't help you out with FCPX. My systems are for general purpose computing and personal audio recording.
That's OK.
AMD GPU's are great for general purpose computing (with no issues about web-drivers, etc., like NVIDIA) and mainly work OOB as GUI.
The issues with the AMD GPU's are more to do with specific Apps that encode/decode video that macOS does not handle very well (read bugs). In fact Apple have (with the latest update) now disabled h/w encode/decode for some of the AMD GPU's.

That's OK.
AMD GPU's are great for general purpose computing (with no issues about web-drivers, etc like NVIDIA) and mainly work OOB as GUI.
The issues with the AMD GPU's are more to do with specific Apps that encode/decode video that macOS does not handle very well (read bugs). In fact Apple have (with the latest update) now disabled h/w encode/decode for some of the AMD GPU's.

I’ve been reading up a bit in this and the same problem was happening in Windows and users had to remove and update to new AMD drivers. So AMD launched RX cards without driver support and then corrected it for Windows apps.
This really is ironic seeing as how Apple has said the new Metal2 is supposed to use the graphics cards more effectively and take the load off of the CPUs. But this encoding/decoding issue is contrary to that stated goal.
There may be another aspect to it as well. Apps for macOS being created for all users and many Macs don’t have a dedicated GPU so maybe they just focused on the Intel side because all macs currently support have this in common?

Guess this the correct thread for this.

I just purchased and installed:
XFX Radeon RX 570 DirectX 12 RX-570P8DFD6 8GB 256-Bit DDR5 PCI Express 3.0 CrossFireX Support Video Card

First the Clover boot menu is corrupted. I can just make out the icons on the boot loader screen. This is on my Z270X Hack, with i5-7600K CPU on ASUS ITX motherboard. I dual boot on this machine.

I just removed the NVIDIA GTX 950 that I've used on the system for a year, having given up hope of being able to upgrade to Mojave. I was on 10.13.6 at the very latest security update, having just fixed the NVIDIA driver on that update.

So it starts with a corrupted Clover splash screen. I booted to Windows 10 and installed AMD Radeon drivers. Seemed to work OK.

I just finished updating my GA-Z97X to use a Gigabyte Radeon 580 8GB card, that went smoothly or as expected.

Using that knowledge gained, I turned OFF the Nvidia Injection in Clover on the Z270X machine, and attempted to boot, using this XFX RX 570 card.

Black screen. :rolleyes:

I came back to this thread, re-read post #1 and added RedeonDeInit = true to config.plist. Rebooted - all using a USB boot stick so I can make these Clover config.plist changes on my GA_Z97X hack.

Still black screen.

I removed any all all Nvidia references in the config.plist. I can't generate a debug dump on the Z270X as I can't get beyond the black screen. But I have attached the config.plist from the USB stick.

I think I'm in a case where the XFX Radeon RX 570 is incompatible.

Is that the case?

Attachments

• config.plist
    12.9 KB · Views: 143
Thanks to Macnb and Stork. Unfortunately, I use FCPX to make $$, so "almost" isn't good enough for me. FWIW, there are reports of issues with Mojave and Radeon cards on other FCP pro sites, so I suspect that not only have there been licensing/approval issues, but Apple has in fact broken things that they intended to keep working; else why would they publish a list of "approved" eGPUs that "work" when in fact they don't?

As I have (in the past 48 hours) come to understand it, there may be some kind of licensing issue coming to an end as of 1/1/19, so the Nvidia drivers may be released then. (But hey: that's from the endless font of infinite wisdom and facts - the internet.)

The Apple roadmap does include proprietary chips, which will, at least for sophisticated users, put an end to hackintoshes. Too bad, as the systems we can build are better (or at least more versatile) than Apple's, and certainly less expensive.

It's been a fun ride for the last (almost) 7 years, and I love my machine. I go back to 1978 with Apple products, so soon it will be a tough decision: pay the premium price an Apple product when the new chip comes along, or keep the versatility I love, and switch to Windows and learn Premiere. I'll wait and see what happens, and if there is any temporary reprieve. Meanwhile, High Sierra is running fine, although that's no permanent solution.

Ain't life grand? :)

Thanks guys.

Guess this the correct thread for this.

I just purchased and installed:
XFX Radeon RX 570 DirectX 12 RX-570P8DFD6 8GB 256-Bit DDR5 PCI Express 3.0 CrossFireX Support Video Card

First the Clover boot menu is corrupted. I can just make out the icons on the boot loader screen. This is on my Z270X Hack, with i5-7600K CPU on ASUS ITX motherboard. I dual boot on this machine.

I just removed the NVIDIA GTX 950 that I've used on the system for a year, having given up hope of being able to upgrade to Mojave. I was on 10.13.6 at the very latest security update, having just fixed the NVIDIA driver on that update.

So it starts with a corrupted Clover splash screen. I booted to Windows 10 and installed AMD Radeon drivers. Seemed to work OK.

I just finished updating my GA-Z97X to use a Gigabyte Radeon 580 8GB card, that went smoothly or as expected.

Using that knowledge gained, I turned OFF the NVidia Injection in Clover on the Z270X machine, and attempted to boot, using this XFX RX 570 card.

Black screen. :rolleyes:

I came back to this thread, re-read post #1 and added RedeonDeInit = true to config.plist. Rebooted - all using a USB boot stick so I can make these Clover config.plist changes on my GA_Z97X hack.

Still black screen.

I removed any all all NVidia references in the config.plist. I can't generate a debug dump on the Z270X as I can't get beyond the black screen. But I have attached the config.plist from the USB stick.

I think I'm in a case where the XFX Radeon RX 570 is incompatible.

Is that the case?

Do you have Lilu and WhateverGreen Kexts in Clover/Kexts/Other folder.

I’ve been reading up a bit in this and the same problem was happening in windows and users had to remove and update to new AMD drivers. So AMD launched RX cards without driver support and then corrected it for windows apps.
This really is ironic seeing as how Apple has said the new metal2 is supposed to use the graphics cards more effectively and take the load off of the CPUs. But this encoding/decoding issue is contrary to that stated goal.
There may be another aspect to it as well. Apps for MacOS being created for all users and many macs don’t have a dedicated GPU so maybe they just focused on the Intel side because all macs currently support have this in common?
I agree it's very ironic but you didn't really believe all the hype from Apple (specially Metal2) did you :lol:.
Even if they were focussed on Intel side, Apps should not freeze the system with AMD GPU's.
Because the Apps freeze, they removed the H/W acceleration from their drivers.

When I get my hands on brother's new real MacbookPro15,1 with Radeon Pro 555 (Baffin), I'll do some tests.
He sent me this IOREG, it does NOT include IOGVAHEVCEncode, IOGVAHEVCDecode, IOGVAVTCapabilities or IOGVAHEVCodec properties (which are used for H/W acceleration). These were there before he updated to 10.14.1.

Screenshot 2018-12-09 at 20.04.21.png

Back