Contribute
Register

Radeon Compatibility Guide - ATI/AMD Graphics Cards

Stay away from the XFX brand. Sapphire (which I have and Apple recommends) and MSI RX 580 cards will work. To be on the safe side, get the Sapphire RX 580 Pulse 8GB card as it works OOB.

XFX only has issues with the RX 460-560 models due to custom vbios. My XFX RX 480s have worked well since the early Sierra betas (2 yr ago). Apple recommends XFX 500 and Vega series for eGPU use. At least that’s what’s listed here at TM site.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/248965/

The list of incompatible AMD RX cards:
1). XFX RX 460-560 models due to bios. They can be flashed with a different brand bios for functionality. But it’s better to just buy a different brand for this model.

*All RX 550 models, they are based on a different architecture and Apple hasn’t included any support yet.
** Sapphire RX 550 pulse may work as it’s based on Polaris 21 device ID 0x67FF or RX 560 architecture but it has less compute units so it may not function correctly. It has not been reported to work yet. I have not been able to find one locally for testing or I would try it.

To sum it up stay away from XFX RX 460-560 models and all RX 550 models.

I stand corrected. Thanks, @Gigamaxx!

Sorry to correct you but this comes up quite a bit. Maybe Fl0r!an can edit the first page to reflect the issue with XFX RX 460-560 models and the new RX 550 being non compatible.

As with others on this forum I have found the advice and input from others extremely helpful.
I went for the AMD option as through my research I understand AMD is essentially used by apple in their builds and could be installed pretty much "plug and play".
I installed AMD Radeon Amour RX 570, using Clover 4458 changed the Graphics Injector options to suit the GPU and it worked. Noticing audio was offline, I reinstalled the last used successful MultiBeast config (always resided on the desktop) and performed ReBoot. All works. Could not have been easier.
While my i5 3570 is old, it performs really well both as a Hack and as a PC. Currently is run 4 unique hard drives for 3 hack versions plus W10.
Thanks to all.

Attachments

• Hack10.13.6 rx570 build.png
    Hack10.13.6 rx570 build.png
    118.5 KB · Views: 377
Hi,

is xfx amd gts 580 & sapphire pulse rx 580 both works oob in hs 10.13.5?

Hi,

is xfx amd gts 580 & sapphire pulse rx 580 both works oob in hs 10.13.5?

Don't get XFX, always problematic with macOS.

Sapphire Pulse will work OOB. Also you should upgrade to the latest 10.13.6.

Another user said XFX has only issues with RX560, that I can confirm...but knowing XFX issues, I would avoid it even if it works.

Anyway, Sapphire makes the best AMD cards.

Don't get XFX, always problematic with macOS.

Sapphire Pulse will work OOB. Also you should upgrade to the latest 10.13.6.

Another user said XFX has only issues with RX560, that I can confirm...but knowing XFX issues, I would avoid it even if it works.

Anyway, Sapphire makes the best AMD cards.

Apple recommends the XFX 500 series cards for eGPU. My XFX RX 480 has worked in MacOS since Sept 2016. Lifetime warranty if you register it with them.
The XFX RX 460-560 models have incompatible vbios.

XFX R9 models also have incompatible vbios.

Last edited:
Hi guys, I'm planning to replace my GTX 1060 6GB, working great on HS 10.13.6 with the Sapphire Radeon RX580 Nitro+ 8GB.

MY question is, does it have support for pre OS boot screens? I use the newest kexts (Whatevergreen / Lilu) with my GTX 1060. I plan to swap the cards, then update to Mojave, but I was wondering how the functionality will affect my success.

Please advise, thanks!

Back