Contribute
Register

Radeon Compatibility Guide - ATI/AMD Graphics Cards

Drop in nVidiaFixUp.kext that takes care of black screens most of the time. Also use iMac 18,3 SMBIOS.

Thanks @izo1 ,
nVidiaFixUp.kext is already included in my 'Other' kext folder.
Would iMac 18,3 work with X99? (GA-X99-Phoenix-SLI)

Current Setup:
Smbios: MacPro 6,1

Kext Folder content:

AppleALC.kext
USBInjectAll.kext
FakeSMC.kext
VoodooTSCSync.kext
IntelMausiEthernet.kext
XHCI-x99-injector.kext
NullCPUPowerManagement.kext
Lilu.kext
NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext

Thanks!

Attachments

• Kernel And Kext Patches.png
    Kernel And Kext Patches.png
    178.3 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
I have just installed an RX560 in my HP 8300. Made no edits to BIOS/Clover/Kexts as want to keep as stock as possible. A few reboots later and dual displays work, sleep works, but the following don't:

- sound over DisplayPort or HDMI. I use VoodooHDA and I do still get analogue out. I also get 5x "Digital-out (HDMI) in Sound preference pane, but none of them work. This used to work before over DP with HD4000

- I don't have Quicksync enabled and opening FCPX gives a black screen.

I've had a search, and continue to do so, but if you have any hints on the above it would be great - 200+ pages is a lot of reading, and I suspect the recent 10.13.4 has changed things.
Assuming you have i7-3770, you can use IGPU.
Quicksync: Enable it in the BIOS. In Clover config file, set Graphics->Inject->Intel=YES; Graphics->ig-platform-id=0x01620007.
Audio DP/HDMI: In Clover config file, set ACPI->DSDT->Fixes->AddHDMI=YES.
Audio Analogue: Remove VoodooHDA, install Lilu.kext & AppleALC.kext in Clover EFI/CLOVER/Kexts/Other.

You will probably need ACPI patches in Clover for GFX0 to IGPU and PEGP to GFX0.
Suggest you start your own trouble-shooting thread in the Graphics forums posting your config.plist & IOREG files there.

Last edited:
Assuming you have i7-3770, you can use IGPU.
Quicksync: Enable it in the BIOS. In Clover config file, set Graphics->Inject->Intel=YES; Graphics->ig-platform-id=0x01620007.
Audio DP/HDMI: In Clover config file, set ACPI->DSDT->Fixes->AddHDMI=YES.
Audio Analogue: Remove VoodooHDA, install Lilu.kext & AppleALC.kext in Clover EFI/CLOVER/Kexts/Other.

You will probably need ACPI patches in Clover for GFX0 to IGPU and PEGP to GFX0.
Suggest you start your own trouble-shooting thread in the Graphics forums posting your config.plist & IOREG files there.
Thanks. I have got QuickSync working following the instructions in @pastrychef thread, which are the same as you outlined.

I will investigate sound over the weekend.

Turns out the monitors don't wake up from sleep at the moment though :( if I leave music playing and go away, when I come back the monitors are off and the sound is still playing (i.e. the machine is still working). Haven't come across this issue before, but will start my own thread if I don't find a simple solution.

Will AMD Cards like RX 560 / 570 / 580 / VEGA now work OOB with macOS 10.13.4 without any kexts or RadeonDeInit?

Will AMD Cards like RX 560 / 570 / 580 / VEGA now work OOB with macOS 10.13.4 without any kexts or RadeonDeInit?
They will now boot without those work arounds but may require additional patches or fixes depending on what you need.
E.g. if you need audio out from DP or HDMI ports then it will require Clover patches or SSDT or Whatevergreen kext.
Some of the ports on the card may or may not work OOB and may require patches.
Issues are fixable.
Justing setting the expectations of OOB means.

I'm on 10.13.4 with a Sapphire RX 580 8GB Nitro+. I am trying to get my setup working without the use of WhateverGreen / Lilu and/or Inject ATI / Radeon Deinit.

When I remove WEG and RadeonDeinit from clover, my build boots to a black screen. Anyone have any suggestions to get this working? Do I need to create an SSDT to inject the framebuffer at boot?

Edit: I have a multi monitor setup (2x DP 4k)

Edit2: attached my clover config

Attachments

• config.plist
    7.7 KB · Views: 232
Last edited:
I'm on 10.13.4 with a Sapphire RX 580 8GB Nitro+. I am trying to get my setup working without the use of WhateverGreen / Lilu and/or Inject ATI / Radeon Deinit.

When I remove WEG and RadeonDeinit from clover, my build boots to a black screen. Anyone have any suggestions to get this working? Do I need to create an SSDT to inject the framebuffer at boot?

Edit: I have a multi monitor setup (2x DP 4k)

Edit2: attached my clover config
Disable IGPU, do not inject intel, use MacPro 6,1 smbios, it will work

Disable IGPU, do not inject intel, use MacPro 6,1 smbios, it will work

Are you sure this is this the right approach? Correct me if i’m wrong but my understanding (albeit limited) is that using the Mac Pro SMBIOS can lead to issues without ECC RAM or Xeon professors. Could lead to more issues down the road which wouldn’t be ideal.

Preferably id like to stay on an iMac SMBIOS since i’m using an 8700k which most closely resembles 18.2 / 18.3.

Also, i use iGPU to enable quicksync / hardware encoding so i don’t really want to turn that off.

Preferably id like to stay on an iMac SMBIOS since i’m using an 8700k which most closely resembles 18.2 / 18.3.

Also, i use iGPU to enable quicksync / hardware encoding so i don’t really want to turn that off.

I am using iMac 18,2 in my setup and it is working fully with the RX 560 (no RadeonDeinit or WEG now as of 10.13.4) with dual 2560x1440 monitors (DP and dual-DVI). I do have the internal graphics enabled in BIOS (Auto) but not used. I haven't played with turning it off though,.

Are you sure this is this the right approach? Correct me if i’m wrong but my understanding (albeit limited) is that using the Mac Pro SMBIOS can lead to issues without ECC RAM or Xeon professors. Could lead to more issues down the road which wouldn’t be ideal.

try simply using this set up. that worked for me on my second build with that same processor and card my step is using 18,3 with the 8700k. View attachment 323630

- I just realized you your working on the 560 and I'm not quite sure if it's natively supported. Sorry that my not help.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpeg
    Untitled.jpeg
    44.3 KB · Views: 184
Last edited:
Back