Contribute
Register

Radeon Compatibility Guide - ATI/AMD Graphics Cards

i have just updated into 10.13.4 beta3 and rx580 works oob without any kext or parameters.

Thats great news! Which exact RX 580 card do you have? Have you tested acceleration across different software? Metal, H.264, HEVC, exports?

I have a Sapphire Nitro+ 580 coming tomorrow and curious just how OOB 10.13.4 will be. Would enabling the integrated gpu be worth it anymore? I use Final Cut Pro a lot so these are all things I'm wondering...

Hardware acceleration in Adobe LR and Photoshop CC works, I can see my RX480 in the preferences.
How have you tested that it really is using the GPU ?

In my case, I can see my RX 580 in Photoshop CC preferences (and I select it) but it does not seem to be using it. Simple task of opening a CR2 (RAW) file and doing some noise reduction winds my CPU up to 4.8Ghz every time (and system fans start to increase in speed). That implies PS is not using the GPU (for whatever reason).

So just because PS preference shows AMD GPU, it does not seem to use it.

h.264 encode doesn't work properly wiyth AM
How have you tested that it really is using the GPU ?

In my case, I can see my RX 580 in Photoshop CC preferences (and I select it) but it does not seem to be using it. Simple task of opening a CR2 (RAW) file and doing some noise reduction winds my CPU up to 4.8Ghz every time (and system fans start to increase in speed). That implies PS is not using the GPU (for whatever reason).

So just because PS preference shows AMD GPU, it does not seem to use it.

Hard to say. LR & PS don't rely heavily on a GPU. More RAM and a fast scratch disk are more important. NVIDIA GPU's may be a better choice for Adobe products. You could test this by looking up what is heavily GPU bound, and then test with and without GPU selected.

h.264 encode doesn't work properly wiyth AM

Hard to say. LR & PS don't rely heavily on a GPU. More RAM and a fast scratch disk are more important. NVIDIA GPU's may be a better choice for Adobe products. You could test this by looking up what is heavily GPU bound, and then test with and without GPU selected.
That is my point which I think you have missed.
That is, one cannot say "Hardware acceleration in Adobe LR and Photoshop CC works, I can see my RX480 in the preferences" without verifying it actually works.

Try in terminal: -lw0 | grep CFG_FB_LIMIT , it should show: "CFG_FB_LIMIT" = 5 , if it was 0, sleep did not work.
I installed AMD9xxxControllerPatcher.kext on S/L/E with kextbeast (https://www.tonymacx86.com/resources/kextbeast.32/) and now Sleep works !!! and "CFG_FB_LIMIT" = 5

I guess you mean ioreg -lw0 | grep CFG_FB_LIMIT ;-)
And yes, my result is =0. Gotta get this ControllerPatcher...

Update: ...which I found in one of your posts elsewhere.
But unfortunately it does not load, not from L/E and also not from S/L/E.

Last edited:
That is my point which I think you have missed.
That is, one cannot say "Hardware acceleration in Adobe LR and Photoshop CC works, I can see my RX480 in the preferences" without verifying it actually works.

Why wouldn't it? I don't think Adobe will block the RX480 on purpose. IME, if you can select your GPU with the checkmark, it will do something in LR/PS.

Anyway, according to Adobe scrubby zoom is only possible with a proper GPU. It works fine for me.

Why wouldn't it? I don't think Adobe will block the RX480 on purpose. IME, if you can select your GPU with the checkmark, it will do something in LR/PS.

Anyway, according to Adobe scrubby zoom is only possible with a proper GPU. It works fine for me.
Not all OpenGL functions will work. It all depends on AMDRadeonX4000GLDriver.kext (OpenGL driver for Radeon GPU's) and how it implements the various OpenGL capabilities. Apple's OpenGL implementation has H/W & S/W renderer and it's switches between the two depending on the capabilities of H/W renderer. When certain OpenGL capability is not available, it will switch to software renderer.
Just because your zoom appears to work does not mean all the other functions work.

I'm curious, I have an older Ivy Bridge system with an RX560 that has been experiencing intermitted freezing since day one, should I be using the AMDRadeonX4000GLDriver.kext? I have been using Lilu and Whatever green with a bootflag of -rad4200 in my config.plist, doesn't seem to help, I have also tried the RadeonDeInit flag instead of Whatevergreen.kext which doesn't seem to help either. I know that outside of the video card, the system is fine as it ran linux for over a year and never froze once.

Also I have internal graphics disabled if the BIOS if that makes any difference.

Back