Contribute
Register

Radeon Compatibility Guide - ATI/AMD Graphics Cards

guys I have rx 550 booting up no problem with 17,2 definition and lilu and whatever green kext

however I dont seem to have any acceleration. its only showing as 14mb and everything is laggy and flickering.

Hello Guys,

So, I had a really good installation in Sierra with everything running, but by the time I updated to High Sierra i cannot connect my second monitor! Mac recognizes it but it still has a black screen. My setup is:

Monitor 1 = Main monitor. Connected via HDMI - HDMI.
Monitor 2 = Second monitor. Connected via DVI - VGA.

I have the LiLu and Whatevergreen kexts installed, and I even tried a suggestion from here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/dual-monitor-setup-not-working.232966/#post-1592088

I have tried to modify my framebuffer, and I face two problems.
1. If I select to inject the Lagotto Framebuffer to Clover, it does nothing when I connect a second monitor. It doesn't recognise the second one at all.
2. If i do not select to inject the framebuffer but I just add the patch info for my card to the AMD9000Controller, it recognizes the second monitor and it switches my main screen into the second one, but the physical second screen does nothing.

My card is the 4GB Sapphire Nitro Version of R9 380X.

Thank you in advance

its not just about working, what are they benchmarks? my open cl score with dual 280x and an i7 6700 is 117869. Were looking for performance improvements not just to see if it works.

We have a topic dedicated to it : https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/post-os-x-luxmark-opencl-benchmarks.147035/
Look for it there are some Vega related benchmarks there.

If you could kindly post some benchmarks / BruceX times, that would be great. I'm currently on El Capitan with a GTX 960 and I get 26 sec on BruceX. I haven't seen any scores with the AMD 560/580 on High Sierra that seem much better than that. Curious how the Vega cards do.

I'm qouting my post from the " Post OS X Luxmark OpenCL Benchmarks" topic.

macOS High Sierra VEGA 56 with VEGA 64 Bios flashed.

g4q0mZg.png

I'm getting around 15sec for BruceX. In same system using RX480 I'm getting around 20sec.

We have a topic dedicated to it : https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/post-os-x-luxmark-opencl-benchmarks.147035/
Look for it there are some Vega related benchmarks there.

I'm qouting my post from the " Post OS X Luxmark OpenCL Benchmarks" topic.

I'm getting around 15sec for BruceX. In same system using RX480 I'm getting around 20sec.

That's awesome. Is fcpx stable in high sierra with the vega 56 card? You and I have similar builds and I'm looking to upgrade to Vega 56 but have been waiting to make sure everything would be stable (and for the price to come back down a little).

That's awesome. Is fcpx stable in high sierra with the vega 56 card? You and I have similar builds and I'm looking to upgrade to Vega 56 but have been waiting to make sure everything would be stable (and for the price to come back down a little).
its not worth it if your using it for fcpx, my two old r9 280 are outperforming it easily.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-10-16 at 11.44.27 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-10-16 at 11.44.27 AM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 173
New MSI 580 card arrived to replace my XFX 580. Installed it...and still I can’t boot without a black screen. So the XFX card was fine.

Completely stumped. Tried just about everything I can think of and nothing seems to get me past the problem. Everything I read here makes it sound so simple... add the kexts and it should work. But every time, the system freezes at boot.

Safe mode works and the card runs in 4K on the Mac driver.

*** Update ***
Finally figured it out... I used multibeast to add Whatevergreen and it worked. Booted normally.

Have 4K and audio which is great. Now just need 60hz... currently defaulting to 30hz.

Last edited:

Yes stable for final cut. for now VEGA cards only have issue with mostly electron apps.

I am thinking about purchasing AMD RX 580 video card. Will this card function correctly in High Sierra with just the Whatevergreen.kext and Lilu.kext? Are there any other things I would have to patch to get it to work? I will be using the DisplayPort to connect a 40" 4K monitor.

I am thinking about purchasing AMD RX 580 video card. Will this card function correctly in High Sierra with just the Whatevergreen.kext and Lilu.kext? Are there any other things I would have to patch to get it to work? I will be using the DisplayPort to connect a 40" 4K monitor.
this card function correctly in High Sierra with just the Whatevergreen.kext and Lilu.kext adn disable csm

@khriswithak : What ??? You haven't seen anything about it? Sorry but then you are blind!
They work OOTB! Use by myself one and bought already a second one for Video Editing.

I have Vega 64 , but can't export in FCPX to apple devices H264

Back