Contribute
Register

Radeon Compatibility Guide - ATI/AMD Graphics Cards

@Fl0r!an
Hi man,
I have a question and forgive me if it is asked before, but regarding the old R9 270X and R9 280X. Do they work without the need of a helper card to boot into macOS Sierra and macOS High Sierra? I'm about to buy one of those and I just wanted to make sure I don't get the black screen in macOS.

Thanks.
I can confirm that the HD7970/280X (so long as it's not an XFX) works in Sierra. I swapped out my R9 290X (*sigh*) in order to get access to Sierra.

What was strange, however, was that when I swapped the 290X for the 7970 in El Capitan, I kept getting kernel panics and boot to black screens. Eventually, I got around this by creating USB install drive with Sierra and upgrading my El Capitan install to Sierra. Everything is now working correctly on the graphics side of things.

Just yeah, maybe be careful with Clover GPU settings if you're swapping out GPUs.

Hopefully High Sierra comes out with support for the R9 290X without the blackscreen issue. There's a pretty big performance jump between the 7970 and 290X under Windows.

I can confirm that the HD7970/280X (so long as it's not an XFX) works in Sierra. I swapped out my R9 290X (*sigh*) in order to get access to Sierra.

What was strange, however, was that when I swapped the 290X for the 7970 in El Capitan, I kept getting kernel panics and boot to black screens. Eventually, I got around this by creating USB install drive with Sierra and upgrading my El Capitan install to Sierra. Everything is now working correctly on the graphics side of things.

Just yeah, maybe be careful with Clover GPU settings if you're swapping out GPUs.

Hopefully High Sierra comes out with support for the R9 290X without the blackscreen issue. There's a pretty big performance jump between the 7970 and 290X under Windows.

Oh, Thanks a lot for the reply and the tips :)

I currently using the Sapphire 7790 and it boots to black screen in macOS Sierra without a helper card, so for now I use El Capitan. I'm not going to use this PC for anything special like photo/video editing it's just my second PC that I use for certain task and tests, so the performance is not my main concern. I just want to be able to boot into macOS Sierra and macOS High Sierra without getting the black screen.

Hi guys,

Sorry if I am a little lazy (and also a bit in a hurry)...
But would a RX 460 4GB work in a hackintosh OOB (even with no boot logo, I don't care...).
I would run macOs Sierra 12.5.

If it helps, I am ready to install earlier versions (but not too old ones).

Thanks for your answers.

Regards.

What's the status of older high-end ATI/AMD cards in High Sierra? Do they still need a helper card to avoid the boot to black screen issue?

Hi guys,

Sorry if I am a little lazy (and also a bit in a hurry)...
But would a RX 460 4GB work in a hackintosh OOB (even with no boot logo, I don't care...).
I would run macOs Sierra 12.5.

If it helps, I am ready to install earlier versions (but not too old ones).

Thanks for your answers.

Regards.
Yes, it works, but you need a helper card or Igpu enabled in bios to run the system.

I'm using a Gigabyte RX460 4gb an "almost" everything it's ok ¡¡¡

Hi Docxavier,

Thanks a lot for your answer.
I'm planning to get a MSI AMD Radeon RX 460 4GB OC.
Price is decently fair (120€ here in France)... brand new of course.

To boot macOs Sierra, do I have to edit anything or do I just plug-in the card and... voilà ?
I've read that I may have to install the card, boot the computer with no cable connected to it and, once it has booted, I can replug the cable. Do I have to do something like that here ?

Thanks for your answer.

Regards.

Hi Docxavier,

Thanks a lot for your answer.
I'm planning to get a MSI AMD Radeon RX 460 4GB OC.
Price is decently fair (120€ here in France)... brand new of course.

To boot macOs Sierra, do I have to edit anything or do I just plug-in the card and... voilà ?
I've read that I may have to install the card, boot the computer with no cable connected to it and, once it has booted, I can replug the cable. Do I have to do something like that here ?

Thanks for your answer.

Regards.
As far as I know, the cable replug procedure is only needed if you want to see the Clover boot screen. The cable has to be plugged to helper card or iGPU for boot screen and, once boot is completed, unplug from helper and plug to RX ...

In may case, as I don't care about clover boot screen (black booting screen), I have always plugged the DP cable to RX and system starts, from black to Sierra main screen, in a few seconds without issues.

No kext to edit for a functional system !! In about this Mac your card will appear as AMD R9 xxx, but this is only an aesthetic issue.

Enjoy your MSI ¡¡¡

Last edited:
Back