Contribute
Register

Radeon Compatibility Guide - ATI/AMD Graphics Cards

No solution except for the mentioned workarounds (e.g. iGPU=Primary).

However, if I use Radeon Framebuffer the card will display as R9 xxx. Even though Clover identifies it as a M295X and with Exmoor framebuffer during pre-boot..
Yes, injecting an invalid framebuffer personality (or no FB at all) will make the driver display the default string, which is saved in AMDx000Controller.kext.

I've had some interesting and somewhat successful results using an nvidia card as the primary GPU and using AGDP to set unload=true on the nvidia card. (in my case, PEGP and/or PXSX). The downside to this is that it deactivates whatever makes MST monitor support work on any card hit with that tag. But for most people that shouldn't be a problem.

Anyway, I haven't methodically gone through the various combinations of cards to test what's actually happening, but it's worth playing with.

Hello! I have a problem with multi GPU ATI 5870 at 10.12

I have 10.11.6 with two GPU graphics cards ATI 5870 (the first in pcie x16, the second in pcie x4) everything works fine.

Began to put 10.12.4 with UniBeast. During the installation phase, everything is fine, the installation was successful.

I load in 10.12 auto reboot the system after the download is completed (Clover to v2.3k r3766 + MultiBeast 9.0.1)

Boot into 10.12 in safe mode (-x) everything works fine, both video cards are detected.

I load in 10.12 without AMDRadeonX3000.kext, everything works fine, both video cards are detected.

On 10.12.5 the same thing, auto reboot the system after the download is complete

I assume that the problem in AMDRadeonX3000.kext: ((and new graphics options 10.12

Any help will be very grateful

Attachments

• Panic Report.txt
    8.7 KB · Views: 201
Last edited:
OK, so I can confirm the following on my configuration:
  • Booting in legacy CSM mode on my GA-Z170X-Designare
  • Using an nVidia GTX 980 Ti card as the helper card in PCI-E slot 1
  • Using an AMD FirePro W7000 in PCI-E Slot 3.
Putting the following in AGDP's Info.plist and pointing to a new Custom section for your board id (instead of "none" or "ConfigX") will re-enable the nVidia card instead of killing it. Then you have two working cards. It's not a bad way to go.

<key>Custom</key>
<dict>
<key>PEGP</key>
<dict>
<key>unload</key>
<true/>
</dict>
</dict>

Things to watch out for:
  • Your helper card's tag in the IORegistry might not be PEGP. Then you'll need to use IOJones or the like to find out what it is.
  • You might have both your helper card and ATI card tagged PEGP. It's possible both cards will come back just fine if you put this edit in, but it's also possible something won't work right. Then you might have to go into the ugly world of DSDT and/or SSDT edits to rename your ATI GPU.
Things I haven't tried:
  • Using this technique to re-enable the IGPU.
  • Re-enabling the ATI card itself when it is the only card in the system and it goes black.

Also wanted to make a separate post about my discoveries with 5K monitor support across multiple ATI cards.

In short, it doesn't work well with anything I've tried. I have an AMD 7970 (gifted from a friend) and FirePro W7000, in addition to my nVidia helper card. Only one of the ATI cards works in 5K at any one time, probably due to AGDC only ever enabling on one of these cards. I've tried many combinations of DSDT edits to rename the GPU's, unloading different cards in AGDP, etc. It's probably due to the fact that no shipping Apple product needs to support a secondary dedicated GPU that does 5K MST.

Right now my preferred configuration is shipping 4K to one monitor with the nVidia and and 5K MST to two monitors off the FirePro W7000 (which has 4 DP ports). I'd love to work the 7970 in there some where, but it only has two mini-DP outs so I'd only be able to drive the center monitor at 5K if I did that. So I just took that card out.

Also wanted to make a separate post about my discoveries with 5K monitor support across multiple ATI cards.

In short, it doesn't work well with anything I've tried. I have an AMD 7970 (gifted from a friend) and FirePro W7000, in addition to my nVidia helper card. Only one of the ATI cards works in 5K at any one time, probably due to AGDC only ever enabling on one of these cards. I've tried many combinations of DSDT edits to rename the GPU's, unloading different cards in AGDP, etc. It's probably due to the fact that no shipping Apple product needs to support a secondary dedicated GPU that does 5K MST.

Right now my preferred configuration is shipping 4K to one monitor with the nVidia and and 5K MST to two monitors off the FirePro W7000 (which has 4 DP ports). I'd love to work the 7970 in there some where, but it only has two mini-DP outs so I'd only be able to drive the center monitor at 5K if I did that. So I just took that card out.

@LostVector I have a PowerColor RX580 8GB with 3DP and 1 HDMI... as helper card I use the integrated (IGFX) HD630, which works perfectly. DO you know if there is any chance to have 5K working with my rig? Actually I have 2 monitors (both DP attached): one 4K and one 2K.

@LostVector I have a PowerColor RX580 8GB with 3DP and 1 HDMI... as helper card I use the integrated (IGFX) HD630, which works perfectly. DO you know if there is any chance to have 5K working with my rig? Actually I have 2 monitors (both DP attached): one 4K and one 2K.
Based on the other user's experience, it should work. 5k is a little bit of a pain in the ass tho. A good 4k monitor looks quite close rescaled and it's much less hassle.

Based on the other user's experience, it should work. 5k is a little bit of a pain in the ass tho. A good 4k monitor looks quite close rescaled and it's much less hassle.
Yes, I know... but I'm so tempted to try it out as I read what you wrote on post #1000 ... I'll keep you posted. could you be so kind to link me the original thread where you explain the modification to the kext?

Last edited:
@Fl0r!an i was wondering if you could help me out with something.

I managed to get my hands on a reference 7970, but I'm getting a boot to black screen under El Capitan.

What settings should I be using in Clover? E.g. Do I need to include connector info, Inject ATI, and so on?

Back