Contribute
Register

Radeon Compatibility Guide - ATI/AMD Graphics Cards

I understand, but maybe would be better to wait for the next 2018 Mac Pro's release, maybe new faster cards will be supported OOB from Apple, who knows?
If no time to wait, then yes the R9 280X is the real deal for now.
I notice you're rocking 2 x R9 280X's. I'm running a Sapphire Vapor version with great success. Is there value in crossfiring them in MacOS?

@RandomTech
@Justcurious1

I let 290 X and got 280X. It's really perfect for OS X, OOB, etc... but it's not near to the power of 290x.
Even, I had 480X and it's weak in front of 290x.
If you can, try to combine IGPU for not black screen and not let that monster. I really miss the 290X in FCPX.

Hi I have the RX480 it work well but my final cut crushes when I try to import a file of any kind(I tried even with sound)
I have to admit I am not feeling very comfortable upgrading to 10.12.4 so I am on 10.12.3 at the moment.
DOES ANYONE AS ANY IDEA OF HOW TO DEAL WITH IT?

I notice you're rocking 2 x R9 280X's. I'm running a Sapphire Vapor version with great success. Is there value in crossfiring them in MacOS?

Crossfire is a Windows thing - the connections between the cards are not seen by OS X/macOS. That said the OS will see and be able to leverage an additional identical card or multiple identical cards if your board and PSU can accommodate them when using FCPX.

Crossfire is a Windows thing - the connections between the cards are not seen by OS X/macOS. That said the OS will see and be able to leverage an additional identical card or multiple identical cards if your board and PSU can accommodate them when using FCPX.
Thanks. Yes, they would be a tad power hungry.

Of course it makes a big difference to have 2x r9280x, because they both are recognised by the macOS and will be utilised when needed, the LuxMark 2.1 Sala OpenCL utilises both of them and score is 5700 which is really high, for video editing only half power of each is used, I think my 4790K CPU bottlenecks them on that. For gaming there is no chance to have them both working on macOS, but who would game on OS X anyway? I actually don't.
For gaming there is benefits on Windows side tho

Last edited:
Of course it makes a big difference to have 2x r9280x, because they both are recognised by the macOS and will be utilised when needed, the LuxMark 2.1 Sala OpenCL utilises both of them and score is 5700 which is really high, for video editing only half power of each is used, I think my 4790K CPU bottlenecks them on that. For gaming there is no chance to have them both working on macOS, but who would game on OS X anyway? I actually don't.
For gaming there is benefits on Windows side tho
Damn, you've suddenly made my GPU upgrade decision more difficult. I can get another Vapor for $100 off of ebay, or do I replace the R9 280X with an RX 580?

Damn, you've suddenly made my GPU upgrade decision more difficult. I can get another Vapor for $100 off of ebay, or do I replace the R9 280X with an RX 580?
There is no straight answer for that trust me, it depends on what you exactly want to do with your machine.

Hi I have the RX480 it work well but my final cut crushes when I try to import a file of any kind(I tried even with sound)
I have to admit I am not feeling very comfortable upgrading to 10.12.4 so I am on 10.12.3 at the moment.
DOES ANYONE AS ANY IDEA OF HOW TO DEAL WITH IT?

It could be CPU related. Have you set up your CPU SSDT?

I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but how do I get OSX to detect my HD 7950 correctly as opposed to just HD 7xxx ??
I have two of these cards and appears to be working correctly on 10.12.5

any pointers greatly appreciated.

Back