Contribute
Register

Radeon Compatibility Guide - ATI/AMD Graphics Cards

He admits that there is no open GL Support (due to there being no driver loading). The system is running on basic vesa drivers - like booting in safe mode. You cannot watch video content, possibly going to see flickering image, probably some reduced screen resolution.

There is no fix for this as Snow Leopard doesn't support cards that were not manufactured until later. If you need graphics performance then you also need to have working kext for the OS that you are using. The user in the last thread managed to use his/her machine well enough in tasks Audio production) that only required basic graphics support.

If you need a powerful graphics card for video use then you are limited to what Snow Leopard will support or what applications that you are using support.

For the GTX 285 have a look over on the macrumors forum for more info and search the web for how to type guides:
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2009/07/review-nvidia-gtx-285-on-the-mac/

Drivers for 10.6.8 and above:
http://www.macvidcards.com/drivers.html

With macOS Sierra, the Radeon 290X now works out of the Box with a 144Hz Gaming-Monitor.
As NVIDIA-Cards are extremely slow on macOS, I recommend getting a 290X, 390X or Polaris RX 580.
(I have only tested the 290X myself so far).

Last edited:
With macOS Sierra, the Radeon 290X now works out of the Box with a 144Hz Gaming-Monitor.

You should detail the make and model of card that you are using to provide information to those that follow the thread. My understanding is that many people cannot get an R9 290X working as the drivers are buggy. It is one card that many have had problems with. One of the mods has a 390 that works fine, but only in Yosemite as far I recall.

As NVIDIA-Cards are extremely slow on macOS, I recommend getting a 290X, 390X or Polaris RX 580.
(I have only tested the 290X myself so far).
?
You mean there's no more boot to black screen?

I'm on a Sandy Bridge-EP platform (no iGPU), so the black screen issue is preventing me from upgrading from El Capitan. If it's been resolved, then I can finally update.

Yes please, there are a lot of downsides regarding ATI cards in Sierra (black screen, wake/sleep, etc.), can you elaborate?

Thanks

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-05-01 at 11.23.11 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-05-01 at 11.23.11 AM.png
    98 KB · Views: 243
  • EFI.zip
    4.7 MB · Views: 126
Hey guys, I know this has probably been asked a lot and might have been answered already,

but I need some assistance with getting my R9 390 (non-x) working in 10.12.4. Was working perfectly fine in previous versions but the latest update broke it and now it only shows black screen. Same setup before, iGPU as primary boot, injectATI and fakeID, and did some framebuffer edits through clover. Not sure what else to do from here.
I only have DVI connection for it.

Let me know if you have any suggestions!
Thanks

Hey guys, I know this has probably been asked a lot and might have been answered already,

but I need some assistance with getting my R9 390 (non-x) working in 10.12.4. Was working perfectly fine in previous versions but the latest update broke it and now it only shows black screen. Same setup before, iGPU as primary boot, injectATI and fakeID, and did some framebuffer edits through clover. Not sure what else to do from here.
I only have DVI connection for it.

Let me know if you have any suggestions!
Thanks

have you updated your clover? does it work with igpu?

10.12.4 needs clover update

Last edited:
Get the 290X, not a 290.
If you don't have an iGPU, try if a 280 works as a helper GPU.
Connect the helper GPU to a second Monitor or the same Monitor.
In the UEFI set the helper GPU to be initialized first.
That is all I did to make it work.

have you updated your clover? does it work with igpu?

10.12.4 needs clover update
Yes I have updated clover and I can boot into OS X 10.12.4 perfectly fine with my iGPU. Whenever I switch to or boot with the 390 (with iGPU still as primary) it goes straight to blank screen (monitor doesn't have signal).

Back