Contribute
Register

Radeon Compatibility Guide - ATI/AMD Graphics Cards

Hi guys!

I've read the first thread, but I'm not sure I understand everything, since I have zero experience with customacs yet.
I'm just about to build my first Customac. I want to use it for FCPX mainly on SIERRA. But I'm stuck at the GPU choosing.

Some of the folks said I should stick to NVidia gtx 970, because of the less problems.
Others says I should go with Radeons, due to much higher performance in FCPX.

I'm not sure if I really understand the current problems with Radeons.
Sleep/awake: means that the sleep time should be set to "never", isn't it? Would the display blanking function work, or that won't work either?
Boot to black screen: This I do not really understand. Is there a solution and if it is then what is it?

How would the whole thing work If would buy a cheap AMD card for FCPX and better NV card for windows gaming? I should physically change the cards on every boot? or just the display cable?

What would you buy in my place now if you got max. 300€ for the graphics? 1 card? 2 different cards?
(I would prefer new or refurbished ones with some warranty, because the whole PC would be built later)

I was able to get past this issue by injecting ATI on my config.plist. Though I have the RX460. When not injecting ATI, I am not able to get to login screen when hdmi cable is connected to the RX460. I can reach my desktop with no issues though if cable is connected to the board but wake from sleep gives me this black screen. With Inject ATI set to true and cable connected to RX460, I have boot to black screen but I have no issues with sleep and wake. It also recognizes the video card's name correctly.
BIOS iGPU set to Primary.
I feel booting to a black screen would be a problem for me as i use Clover boot screen to dual boot between Mac OS X and Windows 10.

Hi guys!

I've read the first thread, but I'm not sure I understand everything, since I have zero experience with customacs yet.
I'm just about to build my first Customac. I want to use it for FCPX mainly on SIERRA. But I'm stuck at the GPU choosing.

Some of the folks said I should stick to NVidia gtx 970, because of the less problems.
Others says I should go with Radeons, due to much higher performance in FCPX.

I'm not sure if I really understand the current problems with Radeons.
Sleep/awake: means that the sleep time should be set to "never", isn't it? Would the display blanking function work, or that won't work either?
Boot to black screen: This I do not really understand. Is there a solution and if it is then what is it?

How would the whole thing work If would buy a cheap AMD card for FCPX and better NV card for windows gaming? I should physically change the cards on every boot? or just the display cable?

What would you buy in my place now if you got max. 300€ for the graphics? 1 card? 2 different cards?
(I would prefer new or refurbished ones with some warranty, because the whole PC would be built later)

Hey,

So I've been using my hack for FCPX for sometime now but was a newbie when I first build mine. Literally just changed from Geforce to Radeon for your exact reason and the performance change is immense.

I just brought 2 x Sapphire R9 270X 2GB as these work natively. (except for sleep/wake). Personally doesn't bother me, I just don't let my machine go to sleep (Answer to your Questions YES- Change in system pref to sleep=never! Display can go to sleep no problem ('Blanking') just not the machine.

If I had the budget I would have gone for 2 x:

Sapphire AMD Radeon R9 280X VAPOR-X OC (3072 MB) (NOTE: Cards must be identical for FCPX)

As these are also native. Stick to the brands- Gigabyte, Sapphire, etc. You could get two of these used for less than €300. With regards to the gaming two of these with Crossfire would still really cut it in the 1080 world of gaming. 4K is a different kettle of fish. I wouldn't recommend changing a graphics card every time you want to play a game, bound to end in tears eventually.

Personally on your first build I would keep it simple as they should give you ample performance. Also MAX out the RAM and always work off FCPX projects on an SSD.

Just a note as this is your first build not to get caught out on the PSU. You need at least a 750W for powering 2 x GPU's.

I went for:

Corsair CX750M 750W ATX

Also to get an adaptor PCI 1x cable for your WIFI card as the 2 x GPUS will take up alot of space:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151688103661?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Good luck.

For more info on individual GPU's and there results check out Bruce X FCPX Benchmarks:

http://www.fcp.co/forum/hardware/18250-brucex-try-this-new-final-cut-pro-x-benchmark

Side note: I wish i'd gone for the thunderbolt 3 motherboard if your serious about editing and to future proof. This is what apple is now rolling out on all its new machines, Even if you don't want to get working straight away would be good to have the option later down the line. Check out Tony's build guide here:

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...3-test-build-ga-z170x-ud5-th-i5-6600k.199242/

I feel booting to a black screen would be a problem for me as i use Clover boot screen to dual boot between Mac OS X and Windows 10.

I have read a post somewhere about this. He also has a dual boot setup with a Radeon 4XX card. He mentioned his board/BIOS has a feature that shows a code number on top of the screen, thus he knows if he is currently on the clover screen. He just then blindly select the drive (osx or windows) using his keyboard. I am not sure how he sees the code if there isn't a display, right? But this is what he said on his comment and its working for him. Temporarily, of course.

Help me! GPU Shapphire rx 460
i5 3470

Even Steve Jobs can't help you with just saying your Graphics and Processor. Seriously though, give more details. Completing your signature would help as well.

I have read a post somewhere about this. He also has a dual boot setup with a Radeon 4XX card. He mentioned his board/BIOS has a feature that shows a code number on top of the screen, thus he knows if he is currently on the clover screen. He just then blindly select the drive (osx or windows) using his keyboard. I am not sure how he sees the code if there isn't a display, right? But this is what he said on his comment and its working for him. Temporarily, of course.

Even Steve Jobs can't help you with just saying your Graphics and Processor. Seriously though, give more details. Completing your signature would help as well.

If you come across his post, can you append the link to a reply for me?
That would be great. Thanks

Can someone help me change iGPU = Primary in my BIOS. My motherboard is H81M-S2H

Is it possible for me to do this on this motherboard?

Can someone help me change iGPU = Primary in my BIOS. My motherboard is H81M-S2H

Is it possible for me to do this on this motherboard?

Solution: BIOS, select Peripherals>Initial display output and select IGFX, Save & Exit.

I was able to get past this issue by injecting ATI on my config.plist. Though I have the RX460. When not injecting ATI, I am not able to get to login screen when hdmi cable is connected to the RX460. I can reach my desktop with no issues though if cable is connected to the board but wake from sleep gives me this black screen. With Inject ATI set to true and cable connected to RX460, I have boot to black screen but I have no issues with sleep and wake. It also recognizes the video card's name correctly.
BIOS iGPU set to Primary.

How do i set Inject ATI to true on my Config.plist.

I've mounted the EFI partition but can't seem to find the Inject ATI option..

Back