Contribute
Register

Radeon Compatibility Guide - ATI/AMD Graphics Cards

Oh god no! And I assume this isn't gonna happen anytime soon as anyone that can investigate the issue and has a 5K monitor also has a Nvidia card.

Let me know if I can be of any help on this.

@macnb: Exactly.

@bugsyraz: There are two things one could do: Investigate what real Macs are doing (e.g. IOReg dump on a Mac with attached 5K display) and try to mimick those Macs.

I guess the latter involves at least choosing the appropriate SMBIOS as well as injecting a special framebuffer personality. I guess iMac17,1 with framebuffer personality of M390 (which is a GCN 1.0 card like your 280X) should be a good match.

I don't know how much work people have already put into this topic, so it might be worth investigating it. Hackintosh + AMD graphics + 5K display isn't exactly common.

i have a asus r9 280x-dc2-3gd5 but can't display on all of my 4 displays. 2 displays work in whatever port is plugged in. all combinations tested. OS X 10.11.5 won't detect them at all. pls help
thanks in advance

AMD GPUs can only drive two legacy connections (VGA, DVI, HDMI and passive DP). If you need more than that, you'll need to use an active DisplayPort adapter or a native DP display.

Btw, I guess you Asus GPU only has a single DP connector, so you can't drive 4 displays, no matter what you do.

AMD GPUs can only drive two legacy connections (VGA, DVI, HDMI and passive DP). If you need more than that, you'll need to use an active DisplayPort adapter or a native DP display.

Btw, I guess you Asus GPU only has a single DP connector, so you can't drive 4 displays, no matter what you do.
if i exchange to a 2 display port version can i hookup 3 1080p screens and one 4k display ? and at what refresh rate will they run ?
thanks!

Last edited:
I can help with providing this data. I have a 2013 Mac Pro that I can use connected with this 5K display. I just need help with doing IOreg dump. I only know the basics of installing hackintoshes.

ok last question before i buy something that i need to return again.
so i need to exchange my gpu and get an active dp hub for my 3 full hd screens and the other UHD monitor can i hook up to my second dp ?
are all the dp hubs that have 3x hdmi active ?

huge thanks @Fl0r!an!

Attachments

• Dell - as 4K.ioreg
    8.9 MB · Views: 78
  • Dell - as 5k.ioreg
    8.9 MB · Views: 106
Back