Contribute
Register

Radeon Compatibility Guide - ATI/AMD Graphics Cards

@Ni6htWalker I'm thinking of doubling my current Sapphire 7970 Dual-X.

What are you getting for a Bruce-X with both cards? What size is your PSU? Thanks.

Report out: I'd been nervous a second card, power consumption and my Seasonic 650w Gold PSU. Finally grabbed a second 7970 for less than $100 off FleaBay and it went in without issue - immediately recognized with my iMac 13,2 system ID.

Both cards and a 4.5 overclock never exceeding 500 watts measure at the outlet during Luxomark stress test. FCPX is smoother in multicam. BruceX of 16-17 seconds from 27 seconds.

Sapphire Dual-X 7970. Cheap, strong and easy.

This is a good Question:
On the Output, driven by the HD530, i see some flickering artifacts on the upper left, which is a known bug for the HD 530 running on Sierra. These artefakts aren't available on the output from the RX 460. I think each gpu renders it's own output.

If i use final cut/photoshop I can see that the RX 460 ist used for gpu acceleration (iStat), which is the only thing I care about. I think it doesn't matter which gpu renders the user interface/which one is used for the output if the RX460 is used for the use cases I bought it for(GPU acceleration).

After wake/sleep the HD 530 isn't active any more. In this case the RX460 must be used.
What version of FCP are you using ?
Have you run Bruces benchmark ? if so, what time did you get ?

I ask because I am weighing up between 460 or the older 280x

It's an AMD card, but a very slow one.

Hmm, I just pulled out my older GTX Titan, the original one not the X version and before I did I ran GeekBench 4 OpenCL test and got a score of 58636
Then I stalled a Gigabyte RX460 4GB model and of course I had to turn on IGFX to boot, yes I got the black screen but it did finally turn on and get to my login prompt.

I than ran Geekbench again OpenCL test and got a score of 71526. SO for Open CL it was faster would this translate into better FCPX performance?

Thanks

So I had two 280x in my machine, then I swapped for two RX480s. With the 280x I would get a BruceX time of about 23s. The dual 480x gets me about 11 seconds. Comparatively, in el cap with 10.2.3 I got a score of 22s with a 980ti. So I would say the dual 480s work very well.

What version of FCP are you using ?
Have you run Bruces benchmark ? if so, what time did you get ?

I ask because I am weighing up between 460 or the older 280x

If I understand this correctly, 1st gen GCN GPUs like the 7970 & 280X are not affected by the "boot to black screen bug" and a system with a 1st gen card can be booted with pre-OS video output without setting iGPU to primary? Is the reason for setting iGPU to primary for these cards just to avoid the sleep/wake issue

According the 1st post, first statement "Starting with El Captian, AMD cards won't wake after sleep! Only workaround at the moment is booting with iGPU = Primary, thus losing any pre-OS graphics output. The issue persists in Sierra.", you would loose pre-OS graphics output. But that statement needs clarification. For 1st get GCN GPU's, you would loose pre-OS graphics out on the iGPU OR the AMD graphics card OR both ??????

Hey Florian,

I've just installed Sierra on a Z170X UD3 Mobo with a Gigabyte R9 280X and I'm trying to make it work with a Dell UP2715K monitor.

In order for the monitor to get 5k, it needs to be connected to two Displayport 1.2 or two minidisplay ports. In my case, I have two minidisplay ports but when I connect it, it sees it as two separate displays.

Any ideas about this?

Last edited:
You'll lose the pre-OS graphics on the discrete GPU as soon as you configure iGPU=Primary, so this applies to all AMD generations.
Thx.
So, with iGPU=Disable, you'll get pre-OS output on discrete GPU but sleep would be broken ?

Back