Contribute
Register

Radeon Compatibility Guide - ATI/AMD Graphics Cards

I just posted a message in the Nvidia thread, but I think it is important for those here too. If you are using a 100 series board with Sierra, you need your device named appropriately. My dual 280x have now dropped processing time from 1:50 to 0:34 by naming the device properly. It applies to both AMD and Nvidia cards as far as I can tell. The crosslink is #95

I am confused. Does the RX460 work well and stable (besides wake up from sleep) with fcpx?
  • If we rename it (as previous post)
  • Set IGP as primary in the bios
  • Load a certain kept?
Does it actually fully function with openCL tasks etc?

I am confused. Does the RX460 work well and stable (besides wake up from sleep) with fcpx?
  • If we rename it (as previous post)
  • Set IGP as primary in the bios
  • Load a certain kept?
Does it actually fully function with openCL tasks etc?

My Gigabyte RX 460 4GB works OOB only with the known darkboot issue (IGP as primary). There was no renaming or special kext necessary.
FCPX works with OpenCL support.

I have not tried to rename the Card to increase the performance as mentioned in the previous post, yet.

My Gigabyte RX 460 4GB works OOB only with the known darkboot issue (IGP as primary). There was no renaming or special kext necessary.
FCPX works with OpenCL support.

I have not tried to rename the Card to increase the performance as mentioned in the previous post, yet.

Thanks, i am likely getting one soon. Just not sure whether to bother waiting for kaby lake, with it's better encoding/decoding of h265.

Yes this works with my build (i7 6700K + RX 460) and leads to a dual monitor setup in OS X. Use the "Mirror Displays" checkbox in the systemconfig to avoid a second screen you can't see.
Hi - I'm signing in for the first time. I'm a self-admitted noob here - I've always purchased and owned real Macs since 1987. I have been following this thread, as I have been presented with a maxed-out Dell XPS 8500, and am trying to screw up the courage to attempt this. I've owned hand-me-down PCs, even back in the days of Windows 3.1, so I have some experience with forcing hardware to work on the non-Mac side.

The graphics are Intel HD4000 with HDMI output, and AMD HD Radeon 7770 (2 GB). All Dell OEM. From Page 1 of this discussion, it looks as if the 7770 can be used without a fake ID, at least if I apply either of 2 fixes for the black screen at boot issue that crept in with Yosemite 10.10.3. I admit I am still trying to wrap my head around framebuffers.

But with regard to the El Capitan/ Sierra sleep issue - where and when do you set iGPU = primary? In Dell BIOS, UniBeast, Multibeast, Clover? And, if that is set, would the Radeon wake from sleep, or do you see iGPU output only when you wake from sleep? If I interpret what I am reading here correctly, it appears that the iGPU does not wake up after sleep, but will function again upon reboot, and if I connect it to my display via HDMI, I can even see BIOS, boot options, etc.

Am I interpreting your post correctly?

This may have been posted before, but I just discovered it myself so figured I'd put it up. It may work with other cards, too, not just mine.

With my R9 280X I wanted to some flexibility with adjusting the clocks and fan curve without flashing the VBIOS. Windows 10 allows that with several pieces of software, but not so in MacOS. It turns out, however, that Clover will load a modded VBIOS from a saved file rather than from the graphics card, all done at boot.

Here's what I did...

1. Grabbed a VBIOS from the card with GPU-Z in Win10.
2. Modded it as required with VBE7. Saved to file name as prescribed in the Clover Wiki.
(in my case was 1002_6798.rom)
3. Booted MacOS and mounted the EFI partition
4. Moved the modded .rom file to EFI/CLOVER/ROM
5. Rebooted MacOS, selected Load Video BIOS from the Clover Options at startup.
6. Voila! Did some testing and found out that the new fan curve and clock speeds were working in MacOS.
7. Set the Load VBIOS option in Clover Configurator to load the modded .rom file at every boot.

It's not an 'on the fly' solution as is available in Win10, but its certainly workable enough to run a modded VBIOS if desired.

Cheers!

I'm running a similar setup as you. i7-6700 with dual R9 280x but FCPX 10.3.1 is crashing. any help how to fix that?
I'm still running FCPX 10.2.3, too many projects in the pipe to risk upgrading. When I switch over I'll update if there are problems. So far its bulletproof on 10.2.3.

Back