Contribute
Register

Radeon Compatibility Guide - ATI/AMD Graphics Cards

I have the MSI RX460. Works without problem. It also is reported as R9xxx.

Hi guys,
I have just added HD 7850 2GB OC to my Mac.
The 1st display is set to PEG1 and I have my display connected to card with HDMI . I have clover visible and getting full acceleration in MacOS. Only the audio via HDMI is not working yet. Will the script for hdmi audio by toleda fix this ?
Just dont want to mess with system since this is my main work system.

I have an RX460 4GB (Gigabyte). It seems to be using RadeonFramebuffer (shows up in About this Mac as "R9 xxx"). I'm experiencing rendering issues in Safari and Messages (large portions of content don't show until selected or moused over or something). Also, Unigine Heaven crashed while running it after it froze for like 30s and I think I got a KP after running American Truck Simulator for a few min. I don't care about setting iGPU as primary as I only boot to macOS anyway so Clover auto boots that. I also have 2 screens so I can plug one into iGPU if need be. I did dump the vBIOS as per guides here and on IM and can upload that/output of radeon_bios_decode or redsock_bios_decode if necessary. I tried injecting the Acre framebuffer in Clover Configurator but when I do "ioreg | grep ATY" to see which framebuffer is loaded it's still RadeonFramebuffer. I do still have Inject Intel on, is that causing any issues? Inject ATI does not seem to make a difference.

I'd just like to get the content rendering and program-crashing issues solved.

Update: I do have AMDRadeonX4000.kext loaded (checked with kextstat)

Update2: While I'm not experiencing performance issues with the card (Luxmark simple comes in around 6290, which seems about in line with other people), I am still getting crashes when I run Unigine Heaven (it runs for a differing amount of time each run and then crashes). Under the Application Specific Signature line in the crash log it says "Graphics hardware encountered an error and was reset: 0x0000000e". So it definitely seems like the crash is GPU related. I couldn't find any logs from the supposed KP after playing AMTruckSimulator, but I did notice that there are 7 .gpuRestart files in /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports since I installed the card. Not sure if they are related or not because there are plenty there as well from before I installed the card.

Update3: I tried booting with FBName=Acre, InjectIntel=False, InjectATI=False, and FixDisplay=False. iGPU is primary in the BIOS. ioreg | grep ATY still says I'm using RadeonFramebuffer (not Acre). Safari and Messages rendering issues appear to be resolved. I will do further testing with the stability issues I was having before.

Update4: Still experiencing stability issues. Is this a driver thing or would a patched framebuffer especially designed for my card help with these? It's the same "Graphics hardware encountered an error was was reset: 0x0000000e" thing with Heaven. Truck Simulator also hangs. I got 8 .gpuRestart files in the span of 1.5 minutes after I started playing TruckSim.

Update5: It seems that when I boot, I need to wait until the OS is loaded and waiting at the login screen (I can tell because it's the second time USB power goes out and comes back for my mouse), plug one of my displays into the iGFX (this does nothing for that display but makes the other one still plugged into the 460 turn on), then plug it back into the 460. That's not terribly inconvenient, but it would be nice if there was some way that I didn't have to do that.

Update6: It seems like the crashing issues are only when the GPU is under a bit of load. If I run TruckSim on Low graphics, it runs fine and does not hang the GPU. Medium also runs fine (it hung when I changed lights settings, but that could have caused more load). Is this a wrong framebuffer issue or is this an apple driver issue?

Update7: It seems like the "load" issue either isn't an issue or only applies for a very specific load range. Running Truck Simulator on Ultra was no issue. Was running for over 10min and no GPU hangs. I wonder if it has to do with the card fans cycling on and off continuously at certain loads?

Update8: I can't seem to figure out what is causing the hangs. Truck Sim worked fine for awhile but now it's back to hanging after about 4 mins of play.

Update9: I decided to try patching the Acre framebuffer in an effort to resolve the stability issues. I followed the instructions on the InsanelyMac post linked on the first page. After rebooting with the patch applied from Clover (also InjectATI=True and FBName=Acre), it works fine, but there are still stability issues. I can't tell if the patched Acre framebuffer is being applied or not. Is "ioreg | grep ATY" a reliable method for determining which FB is being used? Every time I've used it, with clover injecting ATI and not, with Acre FB set and not, and with patched Acre and not, it always returns 3 lines of RadeonFramebuffer. Also the connector swapping stuff at boot as I described in update 5 seems to be unnecessary. The boot process is, however, taking a lot longer than it used to. Is this because RadeonFramebuffer is determining what framebuffer to use or is it unrelated?

Last edited:
Just a quick question, If I was to replace my card (750ti) with either a 7970 or 7950 will it boot OK show all the screens through a 4k monitor? I take it if I get a reference layout it needs no messing with drivers? Any brands to avoid and would I need 2 to drive 2 4k screens? Thanks.

No1
Other |  i5 4460 |  HD 4600
I do a lot of video editing. It is 80% of my job and so I figured the 780ti would haul through 4k video. Well It never has and although it should be an amazing video editing card it just isn't on OS X no matter what anyone tells me. So I more recently sold it and "Upgraded" to a GTX 980. Mostly because of all the hype everyone has over how good the 970 and 980 are in OS X. Yes they are easy to get working and Yes Nvidia is awesome to quickly come out with new drivers. But the 980 still struggled with 4k video in OSX. Im not a noob. I did a fresh install of OS X and clover. Still no improvement. So for kicks I decided to drop in an AMD card. I found an HD 7970 on craigslist for $120. HOLY CRAP! I can't believe what a difference it makes. Smooth OS X UI. Shreds 4K video editing.

Wow! Very interesting, leezee

I am about to upgrade my actual graphic card, a gtx 650 that is quickly running very old. The idea is to jump to an accessible graphics that can support 4k. The purpose is also for editing. Same as you, I would like to remain in Hackintosh, as I find Mac OSX easier that Windows for editing workflows.

Been reading a bit about gtx 1060, 1080, and Radeon RX 480. Unfortunately none of them have mac drivers currently.

I know you did your upgrade a year ago, but what would you recommend me if you were to upgrade today? Would appreciate a lot if you could help!

A hearty holiday THANK YOU to Fl0r!an and so many others for this and other posts that helped me get Final Cut Pro X editing back on track. My third build is now shredding video edits with stability and ease after I swapped an Nvidia GTX 760 for an R9 280X card. The fix also included replacing a failed 120Gb Sandisk SSD (12Mbs write speeds) with a 250Gb Samsung 850, adding a 500Gb Samsung 850 for video projects, installing Sierra and upgrading from a 620W power supply to a Corsair RM1000X for the 280X and a case full of drives. It did the Brice X benchmark in 26.7 seconds. Luxmark scores 14774 and Cinebench 124.9 for OpenGL and 858 for the CPU, but I think that will improve if someone can help me figure out why the i7-4790K CPU isn't boosting past 4K.

Last edited:
@nathreed: ioreg | grep ATY should reveal your framebuffer, so "Acre" didn't get used there. Not sure why, shouldn't need more than Inject/Ati (and maybe FixDisplay?).

Did you check other framebuffers as well?

I haven't tried FixDisplay, I'll do that later. All I've been doing is Inject/ATI. Do I need to populate the number of ports or anything else other than the framebuffer name? I didn't bother trying other framebuffers because they all had more than 3 ports and my RX460 only has 3 (DP, HDMI, and DVI-D DL). I could try the other ones in AMD9500Controller later.

i7-4790K CPU isn't boosting past 4K.
Well, actually it is, according to HWMonitor, but just not showing in About this Mac and System Report. USB 3.0 is only working on one of two front panel ports and not at all on any of the rear panel mobo ports, not working at all. USB 2.0 rear ports are working. I also still can't sign in to the Apple App Store with the "Unexpected error… computer could not be verified," message. I don't think any of this is related to the R9 card though.

Back