Contribute
Register

Radeon Compatibility Guide - ATI/AMD Graphics Cards

Hi!

I cannot get my Sapphire Radeon HD 7770 to work properly with macOS Sierra. I can boot, I have the full resolution (on my 2 screens), but then it gets incredibly slow and makes the OS almost freeze.
Anyone got a functional AMD4000Controller.kext??

I am using Dashimaki profile.

Thank you for your help!
Vincent

Well, I got it working by doing so:

Found on this thread: https://www.******.com/r/hackintosh/comments/547trc/macos_sierra_working_perfectly_even_imessage/ that I had to do some stuff with my graphic card device id :

1. Put my device ID (0x683D1002) in first position in both AMDRadeonX4000.kext & AMD7000Controller.kext inside the IOPCIMatch key (for AMDVerdeGraphicsAccelerator).

2. In AMDRadeonX4000.kext I disabled all cail_properties. Without doing so, I would get a very laggy system with WindowServer program running the CPU out (500%).

3. Disabled the Clover InjectAPI option.

4. Fixed kext permissions using Kext Utility tool.

6. Removed the Verde.kext I was using with El Capitan.

5. Rebooted, et voilà :)

Also, to notice that I am able to use the DisplayPort 1.2 now, before it wasn't possible with El Capitan.

Hi @Fl0r!an , sorry to bother, hope this isn't too much off topic...

I'm planning on building a small miniITX or microATX (and not too much expensive) FCPX machine to connect to my 4K TV (Philips 40"), can I ask you few things?

1. Starting from scratch would it be too risky to invest in a 3rd/4th Gen Architecture like R9 380/RX470? (Both around 200 and something € 4GB VRAM)

2. Is the "Black Screen" thing in your opinion annoying to experience and solve?

3. Will an older "Gen" graphic card (that works out of the box) give the same performance in FCPX?

4. What would be the best structure, 1 x 4GB or 2 x 2GB? For future upgrades would it be better a 1 x 8GB (found on Amazon the 8GB RX470 for a little more) or 2 x 4GB?

5. Better go Nvidia? Less trouble? I guess less performance in FCPX...

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/miniitx-build-for-fcpx-help-a-noob.202897/

Hey guys,

I am sorry to be off topic here but since I am using a 280x card thought someone may direct me in the right direction?
I have x99-ud4 board with 5820k cpu and was wondering if there is a good guide on here to follow to get Sierra running on it?

Thank you in advance

Note on XFX cards:
Many people are reporting problems with XFX cards, especially HD 7xxx / R9 generation. They're using a custom BIOS which can cause a crash upon booting, which can't be fixed in OS X.
A common solution is either flashing a alternate VBIOS on your card (only do if you can recover form a bad flash!) or using Clover to load a compatible VBIOS dynamically (without flashing).

Does XFX still use custom BIOSes?

I'm eyeing this bad boy, and will postpone my Hackintosh build until properly supported : XFX RADEON RX 480 GTR 8GB GDDR5 TRUE OC 1338MHZ BLACK (Part# : RX-480P8DBA6)

Found on this thread: https://www.******.com/r/hackintosh/comments/547trc/macos_sierra_working_perfectly_even_imessage/ that I had to do some stuff with my graphic card device id :

1. Put my device ID (0x683D1002) in first position in both AMDRadeonX4000.kext & AMD7000Controller.kext inside the IOPCIMatch key (for AMDVerdeGraphicsAccelerator).

2. In AMDRadeonX4000.kext I disabled all cail_properties. Without doing so, I would get a very laggy system with WindowServer program running the CPU out (500%).

Also, to notice that I am able to use the DisplayPort 1.2 now, before it wasn't possible with El Capitan.
Hello im having trouble installing 7770, trying what you've done i only get card recognized by mac osx when booting with hd530, booting with 7770 gives me black screen. Also tried fbname to radeon and injectati to true... What to look for?

Just want to report. I am booting with IGPU primary (BIOS) and with the r9 380x. with framebuffer Lagotto and inject ATI, I get the card recognized as m295x. I can boot either injecting both intel and ATI at the same time or Just intel or just ATI. if I inject intel only the card shows r9 XXX as expected and have Full acceleration with intel monitor and r9 380x monitors too. if I inject ATI only with Lagotto, I have full acceleration on r9 380x but not on intel as expected. What is strange though, if I inject both ATI and Intel both have acceleration and I can play games like (age of empires 3) but cannot use an app like iMovie it just won't open. if i inject ATI using Lagotto and do not inject intel I cannot play games they just won't open but I can use iMovie. So basically I have to chose what I want to do at the boot option screen in graphic injector menu before booting. I am using sierra 10.12 and clover 3726. I have also tried FakePCIID_Intel_HD_Graphics.kext with FakePCIID.kext I know the last sentence is not supposed to be here but just want to do a complete report that's all. Booting with inject ATI only makes boot time a little longer but nothing too bad. About 20 seconds more...

if I inject intel only the card shows r9 XXX as expected and have Full acceleration with intel monitor and r9 380x monitors too.
That's encouraging considering that the R9 380X status is "Boot to a black screen" :
AMD9000Controller.kext (3rd Gen GCN architecture)
Graphics Card OOB min. OSX DevID Reference Port Layout Framebuffer Known Issues
R9 285 / R9 380 Yes 10.10 0x6939 DP, HDMI, 2x DVI Lagotto* Boot to black screen
R9 380X Yes 10.10 0x6938 DP, HDMI, 2x DVI Lagotto* "
Fury / Fury X No 10.12 0x7300 none none Experimental

Thanks so much for the guide! HD7770 words great with Sierra, just have the onboard gpu enabled and set the bios to boot with it.Connect the monitor to the amd and boot, black screen and blindly navigate to boot from the clover menu, when all finished the 7770 powers and show signal!

Back