Contribute
Register

Radeon Compatibility Guide - ATI/AMD Graphics Cards

Just build a "new" system for a friend of mine, and got a strange issue .

The motherboard are Gigabyte Z97M-D3H, and the Video Card are exactly the same I use, Gigabyte R9 280X Windforce ( GV-R928XWF3-3GD REV2.0 ) but, none of the Mini DP ports works out of he box !

HDMI works fine, but this friend intent to use 2 monitor setup .

Is that possible ?

Mine works just fine with both DP ports out of the box !!!

I will need to patch frame buffer ?

Thanks in advance for any tip ...

Fábio Rabelo

Last edited:
@pepel13: Your screenshot shows a unsupported device ID (0x67B1). You'll need to fake it to match the R9 390X device ID (0x67B0), otherwise the driver won't pick up the card.
Make sure you've enabled both Inject/Ati and FixDisplay, otherwise the spoof might not work properly.

Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately I did these changes and I still can't get any vram..

Is there anything else I need to change or it means my graphic card is incompatible with El Capitan?

Edit: Also AMDRadeonx4000.kext isn't loading (in System Info/Extensions) when InjectATI is off - That means that InjectATI needs to be set on enabled that's for sure, but when it's enabled I get a kernel panic; GPU hardware vm is enabled.

Edit#2: I managed to get my XFX 390 working in El Capitan! I needed to enable load vBios (Clover) with a MSI r9 390 Rom and to put it into EFI/CLOVER/ROM. Also needed to rename the file name to 1002_67B1.rom and not 1002_67B0 to make it work. Finally AMD8000Controller and AMDRadeonx4000 are loading and no more Graphic Lags!

Last edited:
Works OOB but not perfect, 10.11.6 beta 1 is the version that works best for me. It's only freezing during stress test instead of every now and then like it was the case on 10.11.5
I'll try 10.11.6 beta 2 when I have some time.

Okay, thanks - but what does OOB mean in this context? I've read about freezes and OS X not even showing a single frame...
Well, I'm not sure whether to choose a GTX 970 or the R9 390X. Cuz i wanna use it with Windows (main usage) but also for OS X.
What I need: Normal start-up and "Photos", "iTunes" and "Safari" working with that card. No Sleep, no GPU-accelerated Photo/Video-Editing etc.
What did you have to do, to get the card working?
You just installed the card real OOB and it worked, with the original Apple Drivers in OS X 10.11.6b2?

Thanks a lot for your help! :)

@ProjectSunstream: In this context "OOB" just means that OS X has a built-in driver for the specific GPU. It might still be crappy though (which applies in case of the R9 390X).

@kennabi: I wouldn't expect Polaris support before OS X 10.12 and/or the release of new Apple hardware. Even if they decide to include Polaris drivers, it's impossible to tell how well they'll perform with usual PC graphics cards (which Apple doesn't have to support any longer).

Okay, thanks - but what does OOB mean in this context? I've read about freezes and OS X not even showing a single frame...
Well, I'm not sure whether to choose a GTX 970 or the R9 390X. Cuz i wanna use it with Windows (main usage) but also for OS X.
What I need: Normal start-up and "Photos", "iTunes" and "Safari" working with that card. No Sleep, no GPU-accelerated Photo/Video-Editing etc.
What did you have to do, to get the card working?
You just installed the card real OOB and it worked, with the original Apple Drivers in OS X 10.11.6b2?

Thanks a lot for your help! :)

I installed El Capitan 10.11.3 using unibeast, I didn't do anything to get my card working, it has always been.
Once 10.11.3 installed, I noticed frequent random freezes, updated to 10.11.5 same problem, then 10.11.6 Beta1 almost no freezes, now I've been using beta 2 for a week, everyday and I've not seen one freeze.
My system seem to be totally stable now. Graphics card performances are good but not as good as windows but It's something you'd expect.

In this context "OOB" just means that OS X has a built-in driver for the specific GPU. It might still be crappy though (which applies in case of the R9 390X).

I installed El Capitan 10.11.3 using unibeast, I didn't do anything to get my card working, it has always been.
Once 10.11.3 installed, I noticed frequent random freezes, updated to 10.11.5 same problem, then 10.11.6 Beta1 almost no freezes, now I've been using beta 2 for a week, everyday and I've not seen one freeze.
My system seem to be totally stable now. Graphics card performances are good but not as good as windows but It's something you'd expect.

Well, then it does seem like Apple's maybe gonna support the latest AMD graphics-cards in upcoming Mac models as they update the drivers for AMD with OS X 10.11.6b2, doesn't it?
In this case I'll just get an R9 390X and hope it'll be supported by 10.11.6 - not gonna use 10.12 as long as it's in "BETA" status, maybe for the next year. ;)

Well, Apple never has built the Hawaii chipset in any Mac and most likely never will. Consequently they don't have to support the card properly and may drop drivers completely at some point.

Stability and performance of the drivers vary heavily between different vendors/models, so unless you're fine with some tweaking and hacking I'd go for a Nvidia card. The R9 390X might work fine, but it might also work horribly.

But as it works with @alwin006 's R9 doesn't that mean that it should work with every R9 based graphics-card or are there differences in chip-layouts?
Btw, I've got the chance to get an EVGA GTX 980 for about $ 320 would you get it, @Fl0rian ?

Back