Contribute
Register

Radeon Compatibility Guide - ATI/AMD Graphics Cards

EDIT : I managed to make it crash using Apple Maps 3D feature, log shows Maps caused gnu driver to restart which what window server used to cause.

Can you try to test using a different manufacture's VBIOS using clover? I wont have time to try myself for a couple of days. I have some management classes I need to attend in a different city.

In the mean time I have enabled the integrated Intel HD 4600 GPU on the CPU until there's hopefully a fix.

Is there any solution to Sapphire R9 380 issue with El Capitan that does not involve booting with iGPU? I'm using Yosemite fine, but I need updated SDK for XCode and that requires El Capitan. I've read various posts and the answer seems to be 'no,' but I want to check if there's some solution that I missed.

As you can see in my profile, I'm using Xeon CPU that does not have iGPU so I'm in a tricky situation now haha. I installed Hackintosh as a temporary measure because my Mac Mini was getting too slow, and because Hackintosh looked something interesting to try. I will eventually buy MBP after WWDC, but in the meantime I want to make this setup work if possible!

Still no luck for r9 390 fully working?

@alwin006 Hi, I'm pretty new to this forum here and i just saw that you're using the R9 390X.
I wanna use that graphics card, too. So, is it hard to get it running or does it just work fine, using Clover and OS X 10.11.5?

Still no luck for r9 390 fully working?
Seems to be no change; no sleep and shutdown issues, although otherwise functional with fakeID.

@alwin006 Hi, I'm pretty new to this forum here and i just saw that you're using the R9 390X.
I wanna use that graphics card, too. So, is it hard to get it running or does it just work fine, using Clover and OS X 10.11.5?
Should work OOB, but without sleep and with shutdown issues.

Does anyone here know if r9 390 is able to work on Yosemite 10.10.5? I can see the mouse for a split-second and then I get black screen, then the card becomes super hot and he fans turn on to full speed for half a second every 5 seconds. Seems like a driver issue.

Yosemite has Hawaii drivers, but they're quite "beta", like their El Capitan equivalents: Works for some, doesn't work for others.

If I recall correctly, 10.10.4 or 10.10.5 broke DisplayPort support when using InjectAti=False. I'd try to use a different connection and/or make a patched framebuffer.

Sorry if this is slightly off topic but it is definitely about AMD cards; I am a total Noob!

I wanted a Mac Pro purely for Video Editing using FCPX but the spec I want is over £5k and that's not going to happen; so I've been buying one part a week and I'm nearly there, I've got to the graphics card!

I was always going to buy Nvidia, but Ieezee at the very start of this thread has thrown me totally by saying that he went down this route only to find a cheaper HD7950 was ballistic in FCPX compared to his brand new GTX 980??

Being a Noob I need a total OOB solution with no messing for running FCPX. It seems to me Florians solution would be R9 280 to achieve this; but Ieezee is editing 4K video but yet the max resolution on the 280 is quoted as 2580 x 1600 so how does that work? As a noob this is hard for me to understand?

I have both a 1920 x 1070 monitor and a 4K monitor and they both ONLY have HDMI which is also an issue as the AMDs seem to only have 1 x HDMI out whereas the new GTX have 2 x HDMI?

Also, could I crossfire 2 x 280's and would this also allow me to use both HDMIs?

I still can't work out why the graphics card is doing anything else but process the image on a monitor and had previously thought that the CPU/mem/Hard disk was doing all the hard work in processing an FCPX edit - only from reading here have I sussed out this may not be the case!

All these issues over buying a graphics card, so sorry for asking, any help appreciated.

Yosemite has Hawaii drivers, but they're quite "beta", like their El Capitan equivalents: Works for some, doesn't work for others.

If I recall correctly, 10.10.4 or 10.10.5 broke DisplayPort support when using InjectAti=False. I'd try to use a different connection and/or make a patched framebuffer.

Alright, thanks for the reply, it helps alot. Tried both using DVI and DP to DVI through active converter, same thing. Guess I'll just have to Google it a bit, do you happen to know if framebuffers are the same in El Capitan and Yosemite? I Tried the one I had already patched in El Capitan and this was the outcome.

Sorry if this is slightly off topic but it is definitely about AMD cards; I am a total Noob!

I wanted a Mac Pro purely for Video Editing using FCPX but the spec I want is over £5k and that's not going to happen; so I've been buying one part a week and I'm nearly there, I've got to the graphics card!

I was always going to buy Nvidia, but Ieezee at the very start of this thread has thrown me totally by saying that he went down this route only to find a cheaper HD7950 was ballistic in FCPX compared to his brand new GTX 980??

Being a Noob I need a total OOB solution with no messing for running FCPX. It seems to me Florians solution would be R9 280 to achieve this; but Ieezee is editing 4K video but yet the max resolution on the 280 is quoted as 2580 x 1600 so how does that work? As a noob this is hard for me to understand?

I have both a 1920 x 1070 monitor and a 4K monitor and they both ONLY have HDMI which is also an issue as the AMDs seem to only have 1 x HDMI out whereas the new GTX have 2 x HDMI?

Also, could I crossfire 2 x 280's and would this also allow me to use both HDMIs?

I still can't work out why the graphics card is doing anything else but process the image on a monitor and had previously thought that the CPU/mem/Hard disk was doing all the hard work in processing an FCPX edit - only from reading here have I sussed out this may not be the case!

All these issues over buying a graphics card, so sorry for asking, any help appreciated.

A single R9 280 will do you fine, I think crossfire support in Mac OS is next to none, but running dual GPU's gives you double performance in some applications (non-crossfire) so you should check that out. Max resolution for DVI is 2560x1600 while HDMI and DisplayPort can both do 4K. You can get a DVI to HDMI cable/converter and be set with one card, but if you have two cards you can also use one HDMI port on each.
As an added bonus I can confirm that the 280x works wonders with FCPX, I had one recently for testing and I was a bit amazed by the performance.

A single R9 280 will do you fine, I think crossfire support in Mac OS is next to none, but running dual GPU's gives you double performance in some applications (non-crossfire) so you should check that out. Max resolution for DVI is 2560x1600 while HDMI and DisplayPort can both do 4K. You can get a DVI to HDMI.

Really appreciate the reply hreggi89 as this will simply save me buying a card that I just do not want or need.

Not about to doubt you, but I just looked at an MSI R9 280X and yet again it states max res 2560 x 1600?i know you say this is DVI but surely they would mention that "if you use HDMI you can get 4K", surely a missed selling point opportunity if this is the case?

Back