Contribute
Register

Radeon Compatibility Guide - ATI/AMD Graphics Cards

@Fl0rian Yes, I'm using two active DP to DVI converters for my side-panels.

I've found that someone had the same issue (maximum two monitors) with a 280x when his mobos UEFI had CSM turned on (BIOS Compatability Layer) and fixed it by turning it off and running Clover in UEFI mode, which is something I can not do since my mobo only has a BIOS. And someone reported in his thread that this did not work with a 290x.

Another fellow fixed his max two displays issue on his 7970 with a VBIOS update, I couldn't find an update for this card so I started looking into flashing the 390x VBIOS and see if that helps, but since I've never done that and this card does not have a secondary VBIOS then I am a bit hesitant, and I also couldn't find the Gigabyte 390x VBIOS anywhere online.

So, I've decided to take things slow for a while, my girlfriend and I just got the keys to our first apartment and I still have to decide (and fit) my setup, I might end up using only two monitors because of limited space. Or maybe this'll even be fixed with and OSX update, time will have to tell :)

@hreggi89

Mainly I use Windows for gaming too. Maybe photo editing in Lightroom would benefit from more graphics power?

But even if the power is not absolutely needed, I would like to understand what is going on. I like to understand how things work.
So the next step is to get a new hard disk and try a new installation from scratch.

@hlehofer Alright, good luck. Although doing fresh installs really isn't the way to go if you want to know what the problem is and how to fix it manually, it still might fix your problem. I've done it so many times with linux distros that I'm not one to judge, there is always that feeling of wanting to have the option to use what you've got, even though you're probably not gonna use it much, there is always the off chance. But, at this point in my life, I'm done doing preparation work for myself for something that "I might have to use in the future", now I'd much rather get what I need working and then tend to future problems once they occur. But to each is own, so gl & hf :)

@redstarr I guess it comes down to what you need and how skilled you are at troubleshooting/unix hacking. If you only need one or two displays and have some experience hackintoshing, then a 390x would most likely be fine, but there is the off chance that it might function poorly for you, I don't know if it depends on each card but I think it's rather related to models and makers. Nvidia cards are much easier to work with in most situations, I even had a couple of them running my three displays before I got the 390 and it was fairly simple to set-up, but the companies ethical choices regarding proprietary software and lower power for money ratio made me go for the AMD card instead of a GTX 970.
Nvidia's current scheme of charging more so they can spend more on good driver and software support is a nice and easy solution for people with less time then money, and I would be fine with it if it wasn't for their closed environments and hostile attitude towards competition. And the fact that all the major gaming consoles today run AMD hardware is to me a testament to the good value of their GPUs, but the lack of driver support and quality on PCs is very noticeable, being used to hacking software to make things work the way I need means this is not a big problem for me and the tech industry also seems to be going into a more open future where software issues can be solved by users with help from hardware makers and developers.
So with that in mind you can make your choice, just note that with Hawaii cards you might end spending many hours troubleshooting something like getting multiple displays or even just driver to work and if you are short on time and/or value it highly, then Nvidia is probably the way to go, unless you can find confirmation that a certain 390x works without problems, which I believe some do, that is if you are only using a single display.

Oh yeah and Happy New Years to ya'll! :wave:

@ hlehofer You might be able to help me with my triple display problem, does your computer wake from sleep with your DSDT? I'm wondering if the driver is causing the no wake from sleep problem or if it's just the lack of custom DSDT, people have reported that the multi-display blacks screens have been fixed by putting the system to sleep and then waking it up. Do you also have the shutdown problem? As in, do you need to force shutdown and restart? And how many displays do you use? You wouldn't happen to have old monitors laying around to see if sleep/wake will fix black screens with dual/triple screen? :wave:

Edit: Scratch that, after reading through the forum better I found out that the sleep/wake problem exists with every AMD card post 5xxx on El Capitan.

have a ATi R9280X ClubRoyal Brand graphics card has two mini ports one HDMI one HDMI port ,my objective it to get 3 displays working ,I have it working fine in windows ,with 3 displays ,connected Apple display with HDMI adapter to DVI,native DVI 2nd display ,3rd mini ACTIVE mini port HDMI to DVI, As confusion as it sounds this should work in OS X , but no matter how I with these connectors up OS X yosemite or El capitan will only allow TWO DISPLAYS ,hot plugging tested they all work but it,defaults to only two working ,while the 3rd display will only go black but I can control the brightness on Cinema HD display (as is is still black) ...strange
How can i get 3 displays working under OS X ?

@herggi89: I've read about the sleep issue with AMD card also and therefore have disabled sleep in energy system settings and did never test it.
But now I gave it a try, and it is partly working. The system goes to sleep and wakes up with a key stroke as expected (this can be seen by the power LED of the monitor). But then the monitor stays black and therefore is put to sleep again after a short period of time. But if the monitor is turned off and on, then it is working again as expected.
I only have one monitor connected via DP.

Hi,
since I had some Graphic Driver issues with the Nvidia Webdriver i am looking for a AMD replacement for me Nvidia GTX780Ti.

I found the following one:

MSI radeon r9 390x gaming

This should work according to the chart , no ?

I did some tests with an new installation from scratch and found a kind of solution, but instead of getting a better understand on how things works I'm now even more confused.
Results so far:
- The low clock speed is caused by framebuffer 'Radeon'. If I delete the FB name from config.plist and just leave the entry blank, then Luxmark shows the expected clock speed and the results are also much better (~15000 instead of ~2300).
- So far, I though there is only one FB available for this card and this FB has always the name 'Radeon'. This seems not to be the case, which FB is used if nothing is specified? How can I check the used FB?

- But there is a quite worse flickering visible on screen using the noname FB.

Then I tested other ports of the graphics card (the card has 3x DP, HDMI and DVI, but my monitor does not have any DVI input). With FB 'Radeon' I can use other DP and HDMI (tested always with the same monitor). With noname FB only one DP can be used, using all other ports the monitor just stays black.
- But during these tests it turned out that the flickering is gone if DP and HDMI is connected in parallel (both ports are connected to the same monitor). OSX recognizes a second monitor, but as said before the HDMI input does not shown any information, just a black display.

For the moment everything seems to be fine: Using DP and HDMI shows a clean image without flickering and the card runs with the expected performance.
Does anybody have an explanation for this behavior?

Back