Contribute
Register

Radeon Compatibility Guide - ATI/AMD Graphics Cards

Hey guys,

Here to let everyone know that Powercolor's Radeon HD 7950 3GB Boost State card works out of the box. Of course the sleep/wake issue is present with this card also.

The problem I'm having is that I can't get the hack to wake up in Mavericks or Yosemite as either. When I click the mouse or press a key on the keyboard or press the power button to invoke a wake up, the computer is totally frozen or perhaps still asleep, I just don't know. I installed Teamviewer to see if the OS actually wakes or not, but it never comes up enough to remote into it. Other than sleep/wake, everything else works great and is really quick! Any insight into why I can't wake Yosemite with this card installed would be greatly appreciated!

System specs:
Asus P7H55-M-PRO Mobo (BIOS 1604)
Core i5-760 CPU
8GB G.Skill Memory

NOTE1: I am using clover v3320

NOTE2: I tried using the DSDT from this site, but I can't boot with it in place. It appears to bring on a kernel panic. Even though it doesn't actually say kernel panic on the screen, the computer is totally locked up.

Thanks for the relpy! I'm assuming you mean patches specifically for my GPU. If so, I have never patched a dsdt, so I'm not sure how. Any help would be greatly appreciated! I will do some searching also just to understand more about it.

Thanks again!

Ok, that makes sense, but I had a clean system with nothing added to clover when I introduced the DSDT, well, except a couple boot flags. (-v kext-dev-mode=1)
I'll go back to the drawing board and use a test hard drive to install again and see what happens.

I'm still having issues with my Sapphire R9 390 Nitro in El Capitan as described in my trhead:

AMD R9 390 El Capitan Issues

I use FakeID 0x67B01002 in Clover, I have FixDisplay_0100 set to True and ATI Injection is disabled.
I am using MacPro17,1 SMBIOS but also tried MacPro6,1.

What happens is that the monitor goes black all of sudden and I can't figure out why.

It happens randomly, sometimes it does it several seconds after loggin in to OSX, other times I have managed to use the OS for 1 hour or more before it happens.

What I have noticed when I used teamviewer on iPad to remote control OSX while the monitor was black, I could see the OSX desktop but clicking and scrolling did not work. It's like the system is frozen.

Then I used Putty on Windows to SSH into OSX and used "tail -f /var/log/system.log" to be able to see live what is going on when the monitor goes black.

And here is what is happening:

WindowServer[149]: GPU Driver appears to be hung (over 5 continuous seconds of unreadiness)
Full log: http://pasted.co/fb87a752

I also see that there is some logs in console which ends with .gpuRestart, which also shows the error about GPU hang.

.gpuRestart log: http://pasted.co/1a183265

Do you have any idea what could be going on? Is it a issue with driver in OSX or is it the GPU? Would switching to another GPU like R9 280x maybe solve the issue? Wanted to test Yosemite but I have Skylake so can only use El Capitan.

It's a known fact that Hawaii drivers in OS X are crap.
Some people seem to be lucky, but most are reporting various issues. My HD 7790 (GCN 1.1 as Hawaii, so it's using exactly the same driver) always froze the system when plugging in a 2nd screen. Others report crashes, black screen on boot or screen flicker.

Your system is a special case since it's Skylake, this might add some other bugs as well.

Long story short: As of today, I'd recommend Nvidia cards (see Buyers Guide). I'm stuck in Yosemite with my R9 280, because sleep/wake is broken for almost all Radeon systems (which I need).

Ok, so I did a totally fresh install of Yosemite 10.10. I then installed the newest Clover and finished off the install with MultiBeast for FakeSMC. I did a reboot, which worked great. Checked the config.plist file to make sure there was nothing in it, which there wasn't.
I added the dsdt to EFI, clover, ACPI, patched and rebooted to the screen shown in the attached pic. Any ideas?
20151208_170602.jpg

Back