Contribute
Register

Radeon Compatibility Guide - ATI/AMD Graphics Cards

Yes MSi R9 380 4G is OOB only for yosemite. In el capitan we can only get black screen and system freeze. There is option to boot with IGPE but that is not solution, many people dont want to use 2 cards in the same time. And that solution make troubles with windows and ghost monitor... So coders help us, we only need proper DSDT or SSDT injection for this card and you can read about this 3 months problem on this link http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/to...-to-do-it-via-intel-4600-ghost-monitor/page-5 Latest posts from "pcapauls" on this link told us that r9 380 is not properly injected...

Yes MSi R9 380 4G is OOB only for yosemite. In el capitan we can only get black screen and system freeze. There is option to boot with IGPE but that is not solution, many people dont want to use 2 cards in the same time. And that solution make troubles with windows and ghost monitor... So coders help us, we only need proper DSDT or SSDT injection for this card and you can read about this 3 months problem on this link http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/to...-to-do-it-via-intel-4600-ghost-monitor/page-5 Latest posts from "pcapauls" on this link told us that r9 380 is not properly injected...

Try booting in Verbose combined with GraphicEnabler=n. I get the exact same thing as you described with my HD7950 X2 and 3 monitors.

Not booting with -v gets me three blank monitors (won't even connect)
Booting with -v gets me 2 monitors but the DVI is black (but connected) and restart after wake
Booting with GraphicsEnabler=n gets me 3 blank non-connected screens
Booting -v GraphicsEnabler=n gets me all three monitors

Using the latest version of Chameleon Enoch r2773 EFI install with IGPU disabled in BIOS.

I've been building Hackintoshes for the last 6 years or so and I've built 4 now. I always use Nvidia cards because Im a fan boy and they are easy to get working. (best of all Cuda.) The most recent system I built was on the x99 platform and it deff was the toughest to iron out all the bugs. I built it with a GTX 780ti because it has more cuda cores than the 980 and was $600 CND$.

I do a lot of video editing. It is 80% of my job and so I figured the 780ti would haul through 4k video. Well It never has and although it should be an amazing video editing card it just isn't on OS X no matter what anyone tells me. So I more recently sold it and "Upgraded" to a GTX 980. Mostly because of all the hype everyone has over how good the 970 and 980 are in OS X. Yes they are easy to get working and Yes Nvidia is awesome to quickly come out with new drivers. But the 980 still struggled with 4k video in OSX. Im not a noob. I did a fresh install of OS X and clover. Still no improvement. So for kicks I decided to drop in an AMD card. I found an HD 7970 on craigslist for $120.

HOLY CRAP! I can't believe what a difference it makes. Smooth OS X UI. Shreds 4K video editing. I honestly don't get it. Is it because its natively supported in OS X? Is it because it handles OpenCL so much better? Obviously the 780ti and 980 stomp all over it in gaming on windows but WOW in OS X it is awesome! And I'm an Nvidia fan boy lol. I think I'll try to find another one or crossfire it with 280x since its the same card. At least it'll give me some more power in gaming on windows. But this is my honest opinion! It even runs better than my last system which had a gtx 670 4gb. And it was natively supported in ML

BTW: To get all ports working I on the gigabyte HD 7970 ghz I used "Radeon" FB and ATI inject. Just throwing my thoughts and experience out there to anyone who is in my shoes. Thanks.

CUDA only helps the likes of premiere, FCPX uses OpenCL, you didn't mention which editing program you use, but I am guessing FCPX?

BTW, I use two monitors, with a R9 280x, and FCPX, does a great job BTW. But one thing, don't upgrade to 10.11 as I have a few bugs with 10.11 and FCPX at the moment. Some rendering doesn't complete correctly, and a few other bugs that have nothing to do with performance but are there. Anyways, I assume these issues will be resolved in short order.

Could it maybe be added to the Topic Start that the R9 380 don't work OOB for El Capitan, now it seems to work because it did for Yosemite.

Could it maybe be added to the Topic Start that the R9 380 don't work OOB for El Capitan, now it seems to work because it did for Yosemite.

Does this apply to auto-init mode only, or also when using a (patch) framebuffer? Didn't read much into it so far, and can't verify because I don't have a Tonga GPU.

Btw, it seems GCN 1.1 support has been improved in El Capitan. And get my HD 7790 (Bonaire-Chip) to crash, no matter what I do, multi-display works flawless OOB. Can Hawaii users confirm that?

@ Fl0r!an

R9 380 does not work OOB or with FB injection or with DSDT patch in El Capitan, when booting through PCIe. But it is working fine, if booting is taken over by iGPU. The problem looks similar (if not exact) to that described here - AMD Radeon HD 7xxx Graphics Support in OS X 10.8.3 (already linked in OP).
Those with one monitor will have black screen during booting through iGPU. Any idea? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Additional Info:
CSM Disabled (only UEFI boot)
1) PCIe primary - Shows boot screen in monitor attached to AMD, but loses signal after verbose. No signal in monitor attached to IGPU right from start.
2) IGPU primary - Shows boot screen in monitor attached to IGPU & black screen (backlight is on) in monitor attached to R9 380. Boots successfully into El Capitan with IGPU if no monitor is attached to R9 380. Can connect monitor to AMD after OS fully loads. If display cable is attached to graphics card while booting, it stalls at the end of verbose (even if monitor attached to graphics card is powered off). It seems OS can detect DisplayEDID over display cable even if monitor is powered off.

CSM Enabled (Both UEFI & Legacy boot) [During boot, signal only in GPU setup as primary]
1) PCIe primary - Monitor loses signal after verbose.
2) IGPU primary - Monitor attached to R9 380 gets signal after OS fully loads. This seems the best option as of now till solution is found.

EDIT: Problem solved. See post 1223

Last edited:
Does the AMD R9 290x works OOB now? or do you have to inject via a DSDT?

I'll let you know on that. I'll be getting the AMD R9 290x next week, so I'll let you know :thumbup:

it HD 6450 working with yosemite OUT OF THE BOX
for a reason im getting white screen in el capitan
any sugestions do i need to buy a new card
thanks

Back