Contribute
Register

Radeon Compatibility Guide - ATI/AMD Graphics Cards

How do you guys deal with the igfx after OSX is booted?

I have found that some programs like Lightroom try to use the igfx instead of my AMD card. Obviously this is not ideal as igfx isn't going to be able to accelerate as well as the more powerful discrete AMD card.

Seems like there are two options...
1) Inject intel igfx and mirror the displays so that it is mirroring the AMD card and just live with the fact that I don't get full acceleration in Lightroom.
2) Leave the intel igfx uninjected (so it shows up as a shitty unaccelerated 3MB GPU card). Then I just disable the display using DisableMonitor (opensource tool).

#1 works ok but it is like 20% slower in most benchmarks than #2 and I don't get full acceleration in Lightroom

#2 seems to work better as it essentially makes Lightroom (and benchmarks) ignore the igfx...the problem though is I have to disable the monitor every time I boot and sometimes the igfx monitor will just re-enable itself.

Any thoughts / suggestions or is the DisableMonitor solution pretty much the best way to go.

Any word or progress with Hawaii support in Sierra?

Black screen boot issue is a serious bummer. :(

Is there an RX 480 or Fusion X that is natively supported in macOS? I want to minimize any tweaking that needs to be done to make it work, any direct links to amazon would be nice.

@TurbineSeaplane

Thank you. Can you share some test numbers with a single card. I see in you profile you have a very similar or eaual as 280X.
Test like Luxmark and Bruce FCX.
I have Rx480 and I need to know if it's better go to 280. I edit very long footage in FCPX.

@budafilms Hi - Will be happy to later this week as I have a brand new 280x coming actually.

I had purchased what I thought was a nice pre-owned one, but it ended up being really wonky on the displayport and something was wrong with it - which led to the usual fun of a PayPal dispute, which settled in my favor and it got sent back for a refund over the protestations of the seller who insisted "it works fine".

My response was "great!" - Since it "works fine", you can sell it again! :)

Last edited:
@budafilms

Ok - HIS 280x IceQ installed!

By itself in slot one, BruceX FCP export test: 31 seconds
Added in an extra 7970 ghz edition to slot 2 and got only 20 seconds!

So that's great news!
macOS Sierra & FCP see and utilized the mixed configuration of a 280x + 7970 installed together!

That's not surprising to me since 280x is a rebadged and jiggered 7970, but it does go against some of what we've seen on the forum about requiring "the exact same GPU in both slots". That doesn't appear to be the case here.

Also of interest is that the only time I seem to be able to get HWMonitor to display GPU die temperatures is when both slots are occupied. It appears to be reading correctly for both GPU's. It's so odd because if I have any of my 7970's or this new 280x in there by themselves, I get no GPU temperature information from any of them. Odd. Only seems to work with 2 GPU's installed.

Back